Tank valve hits my head with Trans Pac/Travel Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilknot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,

I have a Trans Pac/Travel Wing setup that after adjustment seems to fit perfectly, save one thing. No matter how low I put the tank down on the tank straps, I still bang my head on it when I raise my head to look forward. Before it's suggested; I don't feel comfortable only having 1 strap on my tank.

The webbing for the tank straps are where they are, so I might be stuck.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Cam

I have the same problem. I position the top strap right at the curve of the tank - essentially, half of the strap on the full diameter. That is about as good as I've been able to get. I've had divemasters insist on readjusting my tank before I hit the water as they think the tank as slipped. I'd really like it to be lower if anyone out there has a solution.

I lowered my tanks on my backplate by drilling a hole about 3" below the top hole then installed a grommet in my wing to match and used oxycheqs mini single tank adapters. I am not too familar with the transpac but maybe you could install a grommet below the top one and then do the same to the wing and then use the oxycheq mini single tank adapters as they are two peices and will let you put the straps closer together.

I have a transpac & travel exp wing, and I had the same thing until I flipped my first stage over so it is pretty much all at or below the tank valve's height. I had to move hoses around to do this, but that's pretty simple and straight forward. I put the top tank strap as high on the tank as possible. Solved the issue for me.

Good luck.

I have the same problem. I position the top strap right at the curve of the tank - essentially, half of the strap on the full diameter. That is about as good as I've been able to get. I've had divemasters insist on readjusting my tank before I hit the water as they think the tank as slipped. I'd really like it to be lower if anyone out there has a solution.

I imagine it sucks to pay $600 on a Transpack and have the "solution" to the problem be to have the tank half falling off the strap specifically designed to hold it steady.

And if you lower your tank down too much, your trim will get messed up.

Do like James R do - flip the 1st stage upside down and see what happens.

I also question the OP on whether or not the correctly sized Transpac was purchased. If it is too small (shorter shoulder straps), it may ride high. But since that the OP is stuck with the BC anyway, try to see if you can extend the shoulder straps out so that the BC would allow the tank to sag down the back a bit more. Try to mess around with the webbings and buckles that attach the shoulder pads to the Transpac and see if you can loosen them up and extend them out a couple of inches.

Good point by fnfalman...if the straps are set too short then everything will ride high.

Are you using sex bolts to hold your wing to the transpac or just cam straps?

Good point by fnfalman...if the straps are set too short then everything will ride high.

Are you using sex bolts to hold your wing to the transpac or just cam straps?

I gotta say that it will take quite a bit of unbuckling to get the webbing loose enough for adjustment, but once you dial the adjustment in, it ain't gonna go anywhere.

I'm not using the sex bolts to hold the wing to the Transpac. Just the cam straps. No need for sex bolts unless you're bolting the wing to hard plate.

BTW, Airborne, Strikehold!!!

You may also wish to tighten the crotch-strap drawing the rig away from your head.

What level is the waist strap at? It might be a good indicator as to the tightness of your shoulder straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom