Tank valve hits my head with Trans Pac/Travel Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello All,

I have a Trans Pac/Travel Wing setup that after adjustment seems to fit perfectly, save one thing. No matter how low I put the tank down on the tank straps, I still bang my head on it when I raise my head to look forward. Before it's suggested; I don't feel comfortable only having 1 strap on my tank.

The webbing for the tank straps are where they are, so I might be stuck.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Cam

Hi Cam,

Thanks for posting. Tell me more. What size TransPac do you wear and what size is your t-shirt? Sizing may be playing a part. What wing do you wear and how do you have it placed on the TransPac (what grommet). Finally, what is your first stage reg and how is it oriented on your tank?

Thanks,
Kathleen

Thanks all for the quick responses to my message.

I have a medium TransPac, I wear a medium t-shirt. I am smack in the middle of the sizing charts for the product.

I have a travel wing, it's held on in kind of a sandwich between the harness and the tanks (no grommet).

ASCII art has never been my forte :)

* Harness
+ Wing
=Tank

= + *
= + *
= + *
= + *

Forgot: My first stage is a Scubapro MK-25 and it is oriented with the ports in the "down" position (this stuff is really hard to describe).

I lowered my tanks on my backplate by drilling a hole about 3" below the top hole then installed a grommet in my wing to match and used oxycheqs mini single tank adapters. I am not too familar with the transpac but maybe you could install a grommet below the top one and then do the same to the wing and then use the oxycheq mini single tank adapters as they are two peices and will let you put the straps closer together.
Using custom-placed STAs to take the place of the tank>wing>harness sandwich might do the trick. What's weird is that I am so middle-of-the-road size-wise, and I'm surprised I have to do this.

I have a transpac & travel exp wing, and I had the same thing until I flipped my first stage over so it is pretty much all at or below the tank valve's height. I had to move hoses around to do this, but that's pretty simple and straight forward. I put the top tank strap as high on the tank as possible. Solved the issue for me.

Good luck.
I'm pretty sure I'm doing that, but thanks.

Good point by fnfalman...if the straps are set too short then everything will ride high.

Are you using sex bolts to hold your wing to the transpac or just cam straps?
Just cam straps for attachment.

And if you lower your tank down too much, your trim will get messed up.

Do like James R do - flip the 1st stage upside down and see what happens.

I also question the OP on whether or not the correctly sized Transpac was purchased. If it is too small (shorter shoulder straps), it may ride high. But since that the OP is stuck with the BC anyway, try to see if you can extend the shoulder straps out so that the BC would allow the tank to sag down the back a bit more. Try to mess around with the webbings and buckles that attach the shoulder pads to the Transpac and see if you can loosen them up and extend them out a couple of inches.
Thanks, that's good advice, it might be riding too high. The cumber bun does hit me right across the waist.

I would also suggest the simple idea of visting a LDS who is well versed with DR to assist in making the needed adjustments.
I have 3 friends with this setup, and it was highly recommended, but there were no LDS that had it on the floor. I am in the middle of the sizing charts for this product, btw.

Thanks, that's good advice, it might be riding too high. The cumber bun does hit me right across the waist.

The buckle sits on top, above or below your belly button?

You should try to adjust your crotch strap so that your waist belt will end up slightly below your belly button. That way you won't be able to pull down too much on your shoulder adjustment straps and risk having the tank riding high.

The back of your head might just touch the 1st stage a bit and that's OK. You don't want it so that the mere cant of your neck back would hit the 1st stage, but if you crank your head way back and it would barely touch the 1st stage, that is fine. You don't want the tank to ride so low in the back that it messes up your center of gravity and make your lower body dip down - hence swiming with the feet-down-head-up trim instead of horizontal trim. Not to mention that you'd want to be able to reach back with your arm and close or open the tank valve.

Also, did you check your body's measurement against the Dive Rite's fitment chart?

I'm short (5ft6) but I have very long torso and being a fatty. I ended up using either a Large or Extra Large Transpac/Transplate. The T-shirt sizing is a good indicator, but it's best to measure your body per the fitment chart. Not that it matters now since you've already purchased the BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom