Tank valve hits my head with Trans Pac/Travel Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Cam,

Your sizing sounds correct, but I wonder how you don the rig? One common mistake, that lends itself to "tank bang", is to don a TransPac like you might have done a jacket bcd. Let me explain. The first step to donning your TransPac is to clip the chest strap. Shoulders should lie at a 90 degree angle on the chest, not pointing to the pitts, nor in toward each other. Next, attach the cummerbund. It should reside just below the navel. Once those two are tight, tighten up the shoulders with the adjustable straps. A lot of folks start by adjusting these straps thus unintentionally shortening the rig, making it ride high on their back.

You can also try turning your reg first stage sideways so that it runs horizontally vs. vertically. I do that with my 3000 as well as an old SPro reg that I used to have.

Let me know how this works,

Kathleen

I have been using a trans-pac for 12 years, and the 1st stage always hits the back of my head (I am currently using a mk25 with the ports down). The dive rite website says to use a crotch strap and keep the cam straps as high as possible to avoid this problem, but it does not alleviate the issue. The problem lays in the design of the Transpac harness. It was designed to carry the tank in a higher position than most BC or harneses. This is because it is designed to facilitate packing tanks in over land (hence the name Trans-Pac). I like using it, because I like to hike into sink holes that are hard to get to, and dived less here in Florida. So, it is great for hiking through the woods with a tank on, but does cause the tank to ride high on your back while in the water.

I played with my TransPac for a week in Bonaire. I tried every combination that I could come up with for adjustments provided on this post and DiveRite's website and have to agree with diverdoug1 - the design position of the tank straps leads to head banging. The top strap, when mounted at the top curve of the tank, allows my reg valve to hit the back of my head. I use a Mk25 and have always used it with the ports down. I am throwing in the towel and will post the TransPac on eBay and/or Craig's List in the coming weeks. Perhaps I have a short neck, but have not had issues with any other BC I've used.

I have exactly this problem with my transpac (with rec wing) glad to know it is not just me. Have ended up with the top strap on shoulder of tank, half on/ half off and diving with my body slightly off horizontal so I don't bang my head every time I look around. Pretty annoying. Perhaps another consignment to ebay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom