Tarsiers! And an Alien possesion? Pictures!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis

Contributor
Reaction score
My topside photography skills are not the best and I shoot automatic...:shakehead but after diving on Cabilao here in the Philippines last week, we took a day tour of Bohol through the Chocolate Hills and along the Loboc River. We stopped at the Tarsier Santuary to take a look. Tarsiers are primates about the size of a baseball or sometimes a softball and found in Southeast Asia. You are not allowed to use flash photography so I got a few blurred shots but they looked so cute.

IMG_5760copy.jpg

IMG_5753copy.jpg

IMG_5717copy.jpg

IMG_5706copy.jpg

IMG_5728copy.jpg

IMG_5736copy.jpg

Wow, I wouldn't trust them farther than I could throw them :D Nice photos!

Did you find out how they fit in the local ecosystem and why they have such big eyes?

I think that last one needs a tin foil hat :wink:

Thanks Tony. They live in the local jungles and are nocturnal, hence the big eyes. They are endangered but they have a successful breeding program where these were taken. They feed on insects mostly.

I thought the last guy looked like something from a movie where they get one of the creatures wet and a bunch of them start to cause havoc?

Oh, Dennis, those are PRECIOUS!

We really enjoyed our hike up to see the tarsiers, and Peter got some nice pictures, but not so close -- Did your guys come down close to you, or did you have a telephoto to get those shots?

The one with the evil look is so priceless that, if I were not forever committed to the Borg Queen, he'd be my new avatar.

heheheh

i want to photograph Tarsiers..

Dennis: next time, up the fstop using aperture priority to about f16, you might need to bump up the ISO as well, that way you will get the nose in focus as well as the eyes

Lynne, they were right in front of me. About 6". Even though it is a sanctuary, you can get really close as long as you don't blind them with a flash or touch them. Evidently, the top of their head is very soft, according to a Ranger there. I think the Borg queen is cute!

Thanks Mike. I need topside lessons too...:D I gotta stop using auto.

Tarsiers fill find a hollow piece of wood by tapping on it until the sound matches up. Then they will chew a tiny little hole in the wood, and stick one of their very long fingers in it to extract any insects inside.

Back
Top Bottom