Taxes in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bryanmc57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Someone recently told me there was a 10% federal tax and a 5% state tax in Coz. Is this true?

Tax for what? Purchases or property?

Purchases... in the specific incident, diving

We've been to Cozumel twice in the past year (Nov 07 and Apr 08). If there are taxes associated with diving, they must already be included in the price of the dives at Aqua Safaris ($60 pp for a two tank boat dive, $69 pp for a three-tank dive). At the end of the week they figured our dive trips then converted dollars to pesos, but there were no additional charges added.

There is a $2/day park fee to dive the Marine Park but that's it. Maybe other places charge a different dive rate and add the tax. Or maybe it is new since April. Or maybe somebody got fleeced. There are enough folks from Cozumel on here to give "I live there" facts. Mine was just "been there" experience.

There's a 12% hotel tax that's added on to the rate for hotels, condos and villas. Some dive operators note their price and specifically state that it doesn't include the 10% tax, but the dive ops I've used include the tax in their price.

Best to check the pricing of the specific dive operators you're considering.

Yes, it is true...just like every other country in the world, we have taxes (sales tax, property tax, automobile taxes/registration, income tax, employment taxes, etc.). Here in Q. Roo, our federal sales tax is 10%...it is as high as 15% in other parts of Mexico.

Hotels have an additional 2% lodging tax (so 12% total for hotels)

There is also a 5% VAT tax for tourism industry businesses (restaurants, dive ops, hotels, etc.) but by law, this particular tax must be included in the price of the services/products....the truth is that ALOT of business owners/dive shop owners don't even know about this tax.

The IVA tax (sales tax) can be included or added, but if added on top, it MUST be stated that the pricing does not include the 10% tax.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks Christi... The op in question (who will not be named) told me that if I paid by CC there would be the additional 10% plus 5% taxes added. Since I'd never seen added taxes mentioned before I wanted to see what was up.

Thanks Christi... The op in question (who will not be named) told me that if I paid by CC there would be the additional 10% plus 5% taxes added. Since I'd never seen added taxes mentioned before I wanted to see what was up.

Sounds like they are offering a cash discount with regards to the 10% sales tax...they may be charging you the 5% for the cc commission the banks charge here for cc acceptance, which BTW is not illegal here.

A dive op I use offers the convenience of paying by credit card, but there is a surcharge added (don't remember what % as I always pay with traveler's cheques). Credit card processing fees are higher in Mexico then in the US. If they don't charge you for the convenience then in effect they are losing money.

If you know in advance then you have the option to either bring traveler's cheques or cash, or if you want the cc convenience then you know you have to factor in a few bucks more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom