Taxi Competition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saw this news today, should be interesting to see if they will be able to get permits to operate in Coz.

Cozumel
Comes a new type of taxi to Cozumel

These are vehicles belonging to the Cooperative Transport Nohoch Be.

Friday, May 6, 2016 10:03
SENDING

0505160ff969280med.jpg

Two motorcycle taxis yesterday for the first time toured the island of Cozumel. (Gustavo Villegas / SIPSE)

Gustavo Villegas / SIPSE
COZUMEL, Q. Roo.- The first two prototypes of motorbike taxis operating in Cozumel, owned by the Cooperative Transport Nohoch Be, were arrested by personnel from the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport (Sintra) the state of Quintana Roo during an operation.

The representatives of that agency refused to make clarifications on the reasons for detention while the members of the cooperative said they have not violated any law by circulating these vehicles in the city and did not rule out their intentions to apply for agrant of transport the municipality and thewhole entity .

Thursday afternoon for the first time in the history of public transport in the city, it was learned of the intention to put into operation a service for the population and that this could break the monopoly that the Union of Taxi Drivers Adolfo Lopez Mateos has maintained on this service.

You may also be interested in : Taxi driver called drunken inhabitants of Cozumel

Motorcycles, with capacity for four people plus the driver had not traveled 500 meters Cozumeleño ground when representatives of the Sintra detected immediately and stopped at the intersection of Avenue Miguel and Rafael E. Melgar Almenan.

Audomaro Santiago Herrera Silva, president of the Cooperative Nohoch Be grouping 270 membersand has one year of existence, it said that these vehicles are of particular and exclusive service for the cooperative and that at the moment do not attempt to service the public.

However Sintra workers requested the Municipal police from seizing the vehicles, but the elements of the corporation found no legal reason for their detention so a discussion between the three parties began.

The cars were purchased in the city of Merida at a cost of 70 thousand pesos each; Herrera Silva agreed that intend to obtain a concession since said that the population is not served by taxi drivers and they themselves can provide this service.

He said he did not seek to break the law and are aware that the union of taxi drivers in Cozumel will endeavor to avoid coming into operation.

I suppose I'm a bit surprised they even made it 500 meters before being stopped.

On what grounds? Are they not street legal with the required registration tags, signals, lights, etc.? It doesn't sound like they were taking fares, just driving around. I don't see any markings that indicate it is a taxi or is for hire. Sounds like someone tipped off SINTRA. My bet is the cooperative wanted this confrontation as a basis to initiate legal actions.

On what grounds? Are they not street legal with the required registration tags, signals, lights, etc.? It doesn't sound like they were taking fares, just driving around. I don't see any markings that indicate it is a taxi or is for hire. Sounds like someone tipped off SINTRA. My bet is the cooperative wanted this confrontation as a basis to initiate legal actions.

Near as I can tell, there were no flames, clubs, or axes involved. All of those were involved when licensed Playa del Carmen taxis were picking up fares in Tulum (after having dropped people off there) and the Tulum taxi cooperative got cranky about what they perceived as encroachment on their turf.

"Grounds"? I think that would boil down to "taxistas don't like the idea". That's pretty close to a legal basis on the island.

"Grounds"? I think that would boil down to "taxistas don't like the idea". That's pretty close to a legal basis on the island.

And maybe the coop's objective is to take the legal basis off the island to a higher level? They may get crushed or they may have connections with federal judges and politicians. I highly doubt they were unaware of the taxi union position and power on the island. They are clearly "thinking about messing with the Taxis".

Grounds, GROUNDS - - - We don' t need no stinkin' grounds.

political grounds are rocky....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom