Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no aspect of the free market in this price-fixed, highly regulated business. If you let anyone drive a cab and let the cabbies charge whatever they want, including lower prices, without government interference, then you have a free market.

This type of stuff drives me up the wall, especially towards the end of the vacation after spending liberally throughout the island. But after getting ripped by cabbies, Chen Rio, Tiki Tok on a few memorable occasions, I find other places and ways to amuse myself. I'm glad this stuff is being reported here. It's very helpful as a reminder to always check the Pemex pump before they start gassing up, question the bill when something seems off, etc.... Let's get the word out. Good to know about this stuff so we know where to go and not be bothered by such petty theft.

After reading many negative and some angry posts, I am happy that I don't share that point of view about cab fares. Life is to short. I get to Cozumel often, most trips rent a car. The times I have used a cab have been very plesant and I have never felt overcharged or taken advantage of. Whatever the fare was, it seemed fair ( and consistant) to me at the time. Honestly, if I was that angry or paranoid about the chance of being overcharged by a cab driver, I would either walk or rent a car.

I get it EXACTLY Gordon and I agree. You are not saying you condone such petty actions. You are simply saying you have chosen not to have a postal meltdown over it.
Thanks! Somebody gets my drift.

I hate being angry. I don't anger easily, but once I am there it's hard for me to get over it quickly. If I get into an argument with someone (a real one, not just an enthusiastic exchange of viewpoints like we have in here), it will be with me for a while, maybe hours. I don't get that many hours on Cozumel and I don't want to ruin any of them by being pi$$ed off. So I take the simple steps I have outlined to keep from getting ripped off, and if something slips through and I get set back a dollar or two, I don't sweat it. I'll play the game better next time. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I agree that cab drivers should not arbitrarily elevate fares, but it happens. It's hardly a unique situation and nothing I do is going to stop it; the best I can do is try to keep it from happening to me, and I have been pretty successful at that.

I realize that my viewpoint is not universal; it appears to me that some folks do indeed enjoy being angry. They seem to thrive on righteous indignation. I'll step aside and let them play through.

Thanks! Somebody gets my drift.

I hate being angry. I don't anger easily, but once I am there it's hard for me to get over it quickly. If I get into an argument with someone (a real one, not just an enthusiastic exchange of viewpoints like we have in here), it will be with me for a while, maybe hours. I don't get that many hours on Cozumel and I don't want to ruin any of them by being pi$$ed off. So I take the simple steps I have outlined to keep from getting ripped off, and if something slips through and I get set back a dollar or two, I don't sweat it. I'll play the game better next time. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I agree that cab drivers should not arbitrarily elevate fares, but it happens. It's hardly a unique situation and nothing I do is going to stop it; the best I can do is try to keep it from happening to me, and I have been pretty successful at that.

I realize that my viewpoint is not universal; it appears to me that some folks do indeed enjoy being angry. They seem to thrive on righteous indignation. I'll step aside and let them play through.

It is not about angry, it is about wallowing in the crap that others try create and then trying to justify the wallowing. My philosophy in life is simple... I'm free to make my choices, and so are you, but don't tread on me. I actually waved over a cop in San Jose Del Cabo last August, that was passing by when the cab driver tried to strong arm me into a fare higher than was posted in the cab. The cop told me to pay the posted fare and I did, without a tip and left the area. From afar, I saw the cop hand the driver a ticket.

I'm not sure why someone who simply points out the facts of a problem and is discussing it is labeled as angry or indignant over this.

I think there are just some people who call a spade a spade and others who want to marginalize anything negative associated with Cozumel. The words chosen by MMM "Petty" to describe the topic of this discussion demonstrate this pretty well.

Some people just see it for what it is and have commented so. Doing so doesn't mean they are curmudgeons, or harboring deep anger or have their vacations ruined by it, they just see it for what it is, ripping people off, being dishonest and being a thief, and they are saying so. I personally don't see the connection between someone who accurately describes the situation as automatically being a person who is over-reacting, getting overly angry about it or ruining as you said the short hours they have in Cozumel.

It doesn't hurt Cozumel to actually discuss a problem that exists there. The place exists in the real world and has real world problems just like anyplace else. If you own realestate there, don't worry, it's not going to plummet in value over somebody discussing the cab drivers ripping off tourists.

I'm not sure why someone who simply points out the facts of a problem and is discussing it is labeled as angry or indignant over this.

I think there are just some people who call a spade a spade and others who want to marginalize anything negative associated with Cozumel. The words chosen by MMM "Petty" to describe the topic of this discussion demonstrate this pretty well.

I totally and absolutely agree.

I never labeled you or anyone else in particular as anything. Wear whatever label you like. And did you miss the part where MMM said that she agreed with me?

Also, I never said that this isn't going on on Cozumel, I just posted some what I hope are helpful common sense tips to keep it happening to you (not you specifically but the general you). People ripping off people is deplorable and it happens all over the world, all the time, from the back streets to Wall Street. Frankly, I'm a lot more concerned about Wall Street. I have been known to get angry about those guys.

It's a worn out and boring argument that anyone who disagrees with anything negative said about Cozumel has real estate there, or has a business connection there, or is attempting to censor the board. In this case, yes, taxi fare gouging happens but it's just not a big deal, and that IS calling a spade a spade, as far as I am concerned. This is extremely small time stuff. Referring to Cozumel taxistas as "The Mafia" is like calling the grade school kids who ride bicycles around my neighborhood "The Hell's Angels".

YMMV.

Well I guess I opened a can of worms with this thread....Sorry, Some very good comments have been posted on both sides of the argument. Calling them the Taxi Mafia is more of a joke than anything...Just a topic for the thread. In all my trips to Cozumel and all the taxi rides Ive been on there I for the most part have not had a problem being ripped off...It just seems to be my trip last week I was over charged over quoted prices allot....Maybe the time of year, maybe I looked like I could afford it...one cabi did say I looked like Jack Nicholson...Either way I will continue to go to Cozumel because I love the people there and will continue to play the Taxi game.

Sounds like a good argument in favor of all inclusive resorts... I concur! While I understand they are exercising free enterprise and everyone is looking out for numero uno, it only adds to my displeasure for trekking into town nowadays. Caveat Emptor.

Well that might be a bit of an overstatement. I would pay double for a taxi if required to enjoy all the GREAT stuff down town. Of course since I stay in the heart of El Centro, I can just walk....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom