Taxi Pricing Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly correct. Pesos give you a lot more bang for your dollar. Easy to exchange by using an ATM at a bank. Safe and a good exchange rate. The grocery stores are also giving a very good exchange if you pay in dollars.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 11:19 AM ----------

Taxi rules also stipulate extra fares for different drops. For example a taxi for 4 persons from Caleta to Centro--down town is $90 pesos. However if we have a person staying at Villa Blanca or another drop on the way, we get charged for two drops--i.e $150 pesos.

DandyDon the taxi cab mafia's site is taxicozumel
FYI, I do not begrudge the individual taxi driver trying to earn living but their sleazy union has taken advantage of them and allowed way to many cabs in order to accommodate the arrival / departure surge from the cruise ships. I have gone down calle 135 (the east / West road near the international Pier) in the morning and the cabs are lined up to the end and doubled back to Ave 65. For the first several hundred meters it looks like they camped all night for a favorable spot. If they do not hit the jackpot and get 'tour' fare then they are scrambling to make the 'Vig' on the cab they are most likely renting from a leader of their union, in addition to their union fees, this leads to the mercenary pricing for tourist fares.

Have any of the town fathers considered the future problem of the Caraterra (road) that runs along Puerta Maya and the International Pier? With the over 743 taxi cabs on the Isle now the traffic problem for the approximate 2 kilometer drive through this mess can take 45 minutes. With a new cruise ship pier now under construction to house two more ships-- Well it can only get worse.
From what I understand the Taxi Union put the kibosh on the water taxi idea. Using a water taxi to transport cruisers to town certainly would have eased the traffic flow through this area.

Have any of the town fathers considered the future problem of the Caraterra (road) that runs along Puerta Maya and the International Pier? With the over 743 taxi cabs on the Isle now the traffic problem for the approximate 2 kilometer drive through this mess can take 45 minutes. With a new cruise ship pier now under construction to house two more ships-- Well it can only get worse.
From what I understand the Taxi Union put the kibosh on the water taxi idea. Using a water taxi to transport cruisers to town certainly would have eased the traffic flow through this area.

Oh I don't think it is that bad. I get to the boat and back from the north end of town in 10-15 tops. Of course I drive like a taxi driver, so that helps. And I stay on 15 down to A. Qroo before hitting Melgar. 15 is the commuter special in the morning, keep moving or get run over.

Seems like so long ago, but pre Wilma, weren't there about twice as many cruise ships visiting Cozumel? I recall days where there were 11 or 12 ships there at once. These days, it seems like a/the *big* day is 6 ships? They, or some of them, stayed later too. Now they're gone shortly after it gets dark. The island seemed busier and it was busier around the square, but I don't remember ever being caught "in traffic", such that it slowed down travel.

Seems like so long ago, but pre Wilma, weren't there about twice as many cruise ships visiting Cozumel? I recall days where there were 11 or 12 ships there at once. These days, it seems like a/the *big* day is 6 ships? They, or some of them, stayed later too. Now they're gone shortly after it gets dark. The island seemed busier and it was busier around the square, but I don't remember ever being caught "in traffic", such that it slowed down travel.
I have been to Cozumel many times both before and after Wilma, and I haven't noticed that big of a difference once the piers were rebuilt. The most cruise ships I recall seeing there at once was 7 or 8. The southern docks can (or could) handle 4 ships, the one downtown can take 2, and occasionally there will be one or two offshore serviced by tenders. I'm pretty sure the expansion of the Puerta Maya docks only added one ship berth.

Of course, the days before the cruseros started coming to Cozumel were quieter times on the island, but time marches on.

I have counted about a dozen many years ago. Vague recollection is that an island resident counted about 17 once.

Run buses to town. Reduce the number of sedan taxis.

I have counted about a dozen many years ago. Vague recollection is that an island resident counted about 17 once.

Run buses to town. Reduce the number of sedan taxis.

One thing that might account for the lowered numbers may be the opening of other ports like Calica in the area. 17 at once is just insane.

Oh I don't think it is that bad. I get to the boat and back from the north end of town in 10-15 tops.

You're talking about getting to the Caleta? I agree that it's really not a problem.

And I stay on 15 down to A. Qroo before hitting Melgar. 15 is the commuter special in the morning, keep moving or get run over.

You can then pop down to 30 Av and take that out to the end and come out by the lighthouse (where the car ferry line forms) and bypass the scrum by the cruise port.

Taxi rules also stipulate extra fares for different drops. For example a taxi for 4 persons from Caleta to Centro--down town is $90 pesos. However if we have a person staying at Villa Blanca or another drop on the way, we get charged for two drops--i.e $150 pesos.

I don't know the normal fare to work this out myself.
Do the taxi rules say that different drops charge both drops the full fare from the original location?

We were in Centro and shared a cab with someone who went to Presidente when we went to Sabor. The couple paid full fare to the Presidente from Centro, and then when we got to Sabor were shocked we were charged full fare from Centro. It would have saved us money to get out of the cab at Presidente and get in a new one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom