Taxi Pricing Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're talking about getting to the Caleta? I agree that it's really not a problem.

Exactly.

You can then pop down to 30 Av and take that out to the end and come out by the lighthouse (where the car ferry line forms) and bypass the scrum by the cruise port.

Yea.... but I like the slaloms though that stretch and the weaving in and out of dune buggy, taxis and rental cars. I don't think it slows me.

Keep in mind that taking a cab at certain spots, you pay a premium. For example, at Mega, or in front of the ferry. That could account for some of the variation. I was in Isla Mujares last week and caught a cab in front of the Cancun bus depot (premium charges applied there) to the Isla Mujares ferry terminal for 70 pesos. On the way back, at the ferry terminal, the taxi jefe told me $10 US. I shook my head, walked 50 steps out of the underground parking lot to to a cab line up on the street and the fare was 60 pesos.

I cannot for the life of me figure out taxi pricing here. I thought when you called the taxi office to request a cab you were charged extra. But I wasn't the other night going from 10av south to about 45th...still $30. I thought you got charged more to get a taxi at Mega but I wasn't the other night...still $30 to go back to about 45th. And I thought downtown ended at 30th...but both cabs I've taken have charged $30 to go past 30th! I'm not complaining because they were all cheaper than expected, I just can't figure out what the "rules" actually are!

You're talking about getting to the Caleta? I agree that it's really not a problem.

You can then pop down to 30 Av and take that out to the end and come out by the lighthouse (where the car ferry line forms) and bypass the scrum by the cruise port.

The lighthouse road is before the end of 30th, and the lighthouse is before the cruise ship ports, so you'd have to still go through there to get to caleta. Are you talking about the road that comes up just after the puerta maya shopping center, where the traffic lights are? I can't remember the name of it right now. But I think you have to get onto 65 at the end of 30 to get to it.

I cannot for the life of me figure out taxi pricing here. I thought when you called the taxi office to request a cab you were charged extra. But I wasn't the other night going from 10av south to about 45th...still $30. I thought you got charged more to get a taxi at Mega but I wasn't the other night...still $30 to go back to about 45th. And I thought downtown ended at 30th...but both cabs I've taken have charged $30 to go past 30th! I'm not complaining because they were all cheaper than expected, I just can't figure out what the "rules" actually are!

good karma!!!

I cannot for the life of me figure out taxi pricing here. I thought when you called the taxi office to request a cab you were charged extra. But I wasn't the other night going from 10av south to about 45th...still $30. I thought you got charged more to get a taxi at Mega but I wasn't the other night...still $30 to go back to about 45th. And I thought downtown ended at 30th...but both cabs I've taken have charged $30 to go past 30th! I'm not complaining because they were all cheaper than expected,
Pesos, right? Just checking... :D

You can usually find a current version of the Taxi Rate Sheet in pdf format to download at the CozumelMyCozumel.com site, in the discussion forum. I make it habit to check that site for updates before every trip, and have the Rate Sheet with me on both iPad and iPhone when I go to Cozumel.

ALSO, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, if you are going to use Taxis on Cozumel, ALWAYS pay in Pesos. Taxis are STILL exchanging Pesos for Dollars at a 10-1 exchange rate, even while the real exchange rate is over 14-1. Paying in Pesos gets you an effective 30+% discount. People who never want to exchange for Pesos are usually getting taken at most (not all) places on Cozumel, but the worst of the worst are the Taxis.

can you post a link? that website doesn't have anything recent, only a post from 2010 with a dead link

Last time I was there (recently) I consistently paid 80 pesos from near La Ceiba to downtown. In many trips to the island I have only very rarely been taken advantage of by cabbies. They're not getting rich.

That said I still think cozumel would be very well served to have a bus going up and down melgar between downtown and the cruise ship terminal. That cab union has a lot of political clout.

Last time I was there (recently) I consistently paid 80 pesos from near La Ceiba to downtown. In many trips to the island I have only very rarely been taken advantage of by cabbies. They're not getting rich.

That said I still think cozumel would be very well served to have a bus going up and down melgar between downtown and the cruise ship terminal. That cab union has a lot of political clout.

Just think about how many cab drivers each bus would put out of business.

What next? Replace all the 6-pacs with cattle boats?

Back
Top Bottom