TDI ADV Nitrox and deco course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nyresq

Contributor
Reaction score
A question to any of the TDI instructor here on the board.
I am going to take the advanced nitrox & deco class and was wondering if anyone could list the skills that are taught/ required for this class? and how long is the classroom part? how many nights/ hours? how many stage bottles are used in this class?

thank you.

tdi

The tdi website will list the standards for the class. i think the rest of your question is best answered by the person who is teaching the class. the class can be structured differently dependent on your instructor. if you do not have an instructor im sure many people in the ny area can recommmend one to you.

I had to have one deco bottle. The teacher wasn't too happy with my 13ft bottle so I bought an AL40.

Let's see....

S-Drills
Valve Drills
Hovering at stops
Bag shooting
Gas Planning (END, Bailout, +/-)
Dive Planning
Custom Tables
Lost Buddy
Bottle deployment and rigging and marking.

That is pretty much it. Not too much really. I practiced my drills in the pool and in OW before I went and did not have too much of a problem.

The manuals cover the in class portion pretty well. If you work through the questions and understand the material you will have no problems on the tests.

Good luck!

Peter

thank you Pdoege, the TDI web site just had a brief description of the course not any specifics at all.

I used doubles and a drysuit as well. Not sure in an h-valve is good enough.

You should ask your instructor about the tank and backgas requirements. The 2x104s were overkill for the dives, but it made for nice "real life" practice.

The drysuit was nice for the cold, dark water and it gives a nice backup bouyancy source.

Peter

nyresq:
A question to any of the TDI instructor here on the board.
I am going to take the advanced nitrox & deco class and was wondering if anyone could list the skills that are taught/ required for this class? and how long is the classroom part? how many nights/ hours? how many stage bottles are used in this class?

thank you.

Ask your instructor.

pdoege:
I had to have one deco bottle. The teacher wasn't too happy with my 13ft bottle so I bought an AL40.

Let's see....

S-Drills
Valve Drills
Hovering at stops
Bag shooting
Gas Planning (END, Bailout, +/-)
Dive Planning
Custom Tables
Lost Buddy
Bottle deployment and rigging and marking.

That is pretty much it. Not too much really. I practiced my drills in the pool and in OW before I went and did not have too much of a problem.

The manuals cover the in class portion pretty well. If you work through the questions and understand the material you will have no problems on the tests.

Good luck!

Peter

The TDI instructors have broad freedom to teach. I have worked with 2 different TDI tech instructors who take 2 totally different approaches.

Let me see if I can add anything to Peter's list:

Adjusting your weighting and trim to be horizontal and perfect

Handing off a deco bottle and taking one back, as if you are serving as a safety diver for the day

Determining MODs for various EANx or pure O2 and marking tanks appropriately so both you and your buddy can read them

(We did not cover "lost buddy")

ABCD DCBA line following procedure

Primary and backup reels and spools

Using wrist slates and backup tables

RMV-SCR rate improvement (exercise, weight loss, and proper breathing)

Redundancy (2 knives, 3 lights, 2 depth gauges & timers, etc.)

Those were covered in my class now that I think of it. We also went over anti-silting kicks like the modified frog and reverse kicks. This was in cave country and the class had a lot of cave-ish components.

Peter

pdoege:
I used doubles and a drysuit as well. Not sure in an h-valve is good enough.

You should ask your instructor about the tank and backgas requirements. The 2x104s were overkill for the dives, but it made for nice "real life" practice.

The drysuit was nice for the cold, dark water and it gives a nice backup bouyancy source.

Peter

I did my course with single 120's and H and Y valves. The TDI manual discusses use of singles with these valves for deco applications.

--Matt

...took that course April 2003 in the Blue Hole, Santa Rosa NM. We did 6 dives over 3 days, used LP Faber 95 steels....... the dives were 45 min each, most skills were done at the bottom @ 80 ft. Did mask clearing/ S drills/ bag shooting....did NOT do lost buddy drills. Topside did dive planning, typically had 3 plans on our dive slates (the indended plan, and 2 backup plans in case we overshot our planned bottom time and had to modify our deco stops.

Of the 6 dives, the 1st 2 were on Nitrox, the remaining 4 on 'air', as there's no Nitrox on site, so we brought our Nitrox with us, which is enough for 2 dives with our profiles.

Used a 40 cu. ft. AL stage bottle to do our final safety stops @ 20 ft....on the last 2 dives. ( 100% O2 )

Class time was extensive....we did lecture in the hotel room, at all the meals, and on site inbetween dives.....typical of technical dive classes, great importance was spent on post dive briefings, where divers shared positive/negative comments on what was done correctly, and was needed to be improved after each dive...those sessions can be a bit uncomfortable to sit through, but it's par for the course, and I'm getting more used to it the more such classes I take.

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom