TDI-IANTD-PADI Tec Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AN/DP.......Next is Normoxic Trimix.

So where does Extended Range fit into the progression?

I get AN/DP.... you learn to use O2, then you learn to conduct deco. It's a different, more component focused, progression to the TecRec system, in which each module is more rounded. Both DP and Tec45 bring you out at a similar level of diving. Tec50 adds multi-deco gas switching (and a little extra depth)... what does ER add (except depth)?

Would actually like to hear a TDI instructor perspective on this (similar to my break-down of TecRec in post #16).

So where does Extended Range fit into the progression?

It's completely optional, not required prior to taking Trimix. Can't imagine many people actually do it these days. Makes more sense to either take the course that gives you a card for Trimix or (gasp!) dive a few feet deeper on air than your current cert "allows"

You can use multiple deco gases at at Deco Procedures level. My "graduation" dive was 150 for 30 minutes with 2 deco tanks. Presume it depends on the instructor and location. 150 on air in NJ is not the same as in Cayman, but that's another kettle of worms! :D

I went straight from AN/DP to trimix. Not everyone wants to dive to 180' on air which is what extended range certifies you to do.

---------- Post added March 10th, 2013 at 10:43 PM ----------

I did my adv rec trimix with iantd. all it needed was nitrox and deep certs to take it, all else was covered in the course. cert depth is i believe 165. Iantd has a nice training flow tree if it helps. The cert is good for 100% deco but trimix no less than i dont remember but for sake of argument 20% o2. Have to be able to breath it on the surface.

the PADI system is quiet clear (tec 40 tec 50 etc.) but when it comes to TDI, as far as i understand you go adv nitrox, then deco procedures, then you dot he extended range (please correct me if im wrong). but when it comes to IANTD how does it go adv nitrox (does it include the deco procedures or is it a separate course) then where do you go from there?

185' with 1 deco gas? Ill advised.
When I opened the link, it appears one deco and one stage, so I think this is really more aligned with other courses listed.

Having recently taken the Tec 45 & 50 Courses, I can see where some people might be inclinded to skip Tec 50 due to the large air dive on dive four. It should be noted PADI gives you the option (if the instructor is suitably qualified) to make dive four using trimix which is exactly how we did it. Trimix is a nice option as some people who are going to seek Tec 65 (may) have been thinking about Trimix below a certain depth, and those that have an interest in Tec 50 and no interest in a deeper air dive have a pathway to completing the course without that concern.

By breaking up the course I was able to complete the Tec Deep program over two vacations, instead of having to book one and worry constantly about weather. The segmented design also allowed me to get a couple dozen dives at the Tec 40 limitations and the additional confidence that I would be able to complete Tec 50 without much difficulty.

Cheers!

True... I was trying to be eloquacious, which I can see was an absotive failure.

PADI (TecRec) offers the option to conduct some of the deeper qualifying dives on normoxic trimix also, but it doesn't lead to a different certification. You still need to conduct the TecTmx65 to get that... which means Tec50 prerequisite. SSI (TXr) had a similar option - not sure if that's still in effect however, as they now have a stand-alone Normoxic Trimix. I'm a bit out of touch with TXr... but their web states 'advanced deco procedures' (ER eqviv) as a prerequisite.

Actually PADI has trimix 45 and trimix 50. It requires two additional dives after either Tec 45 or Tec 50. It certifies the diver to 45 or 50 meters on 21%+ O2 and up to 20% He. This is a great way to get exposure to trimix without jumping into deep dives with high He content.

If you are a full PADI Trimix instructor, you can add the ratings with a quick application to PADI.

As far as Ext Range with TDI, it is not required before taking Trimix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom