TDI or PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregT943

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm looking to get into tech diving. I am an experienced dive master looking to go deeper and expand my dive knowledge. I have done all my training through PADI but TDI seems to be a popular choice for Tech courses. So I'm just curious as to what experienced tech divers consider to be a better option. TDI or PADI? I am not interested in doing trimix.

I hold certifications from five different technical agencies. In each case it was because the instructor I wanted to take a class from was affiliated to that particular organization. Choose your instructor first. The agency just comes along with him.

TDI or PADI?

Why are you choosing an agency at all?

So I'm just curious as to what experienced tech divers consider to be a better option. I am not interested in doing trimix.

Trimix would actually give you options.

I'm looking to get into tech diving. I am an experienced dive master looking to go deeper and expand my dive knowledge. I have done all my training through PADI but TDI seems to be a popular choice for Tech courses. So I'm just curious as to what experienced tech divers consider to be a better option. TDI or PADI? I am not interested in doing trimix.

More detailed information on what your goals are would get you better advice on what classes to take. As others have already said, finding a good instructor is key, the agency is secondary.

You don't really define what "deeper" is, but depending on what your goals are, I wouldn't rule Trimix out.

If you want to just compare agencies side by side without taking the instructor factor into consideration I would recommend reading their standards and perhaps even their course books. That is just a plain apples to apples comparison without any thought given to the instructor.

In real life a lot of instructors expand the course beyond the bare minimums (the standards).

You can get some of the TDI standards here: Training Courses Available

I do not know where you can get PADI Tec/Rec standards. Being a divemaster can probably help you get their standards through a LDS.

Sometimes it works the other way around. You find a good instructor, and they hold ratings from multiple agencies and so they can issue a cert card from the agency of your choice.

I have always tended to choose TDI because the course structure allowed you make the journey in fewer jumps. Given I have to fly a long way any time I want any tec training, that is a major consideration.

First off I am ruling out trimix for the moment because I don't have the money to include that in my training at this time. Second, I understand I choose the instructor not the agency. But TDI and PADI set up their courses differently, just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge about the courses and would recommend one over the other. I am asking about PADI and TDI simply because those seem to be quite prevalent around the world. I do most of my dive training while traveling. I am not ruling out SSI or BSAC or any other agency, I'm simply asking about the differences between these two.

Why am I interested in tech courses? Because I enjoy wreck diving and a lot of wrecks are in deep water outside rec limits. I also just want to further my knowledge and training and do something new. Sorry if my initial question was vague or unclear

Based on the diving goals you just described, I'd really go for a trimix certification. Deep air (greater than about 100-130ft) isn't really regarded as a safe option.

choice.
I have always tended to choose TDI because the course structure allowed you make the journey in fewer jumps.

Same here. I've always been a fan of doing courses that "allow" me to do a lot ,then building experience up to the limits of those courses

Assuming you are already nitrox certified if you go the TDI route you would do Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures. While these are technically two courses they are normally taught together and might as well be one. You would then be certified for 150 feet and any deco gas. Whether 150 on air is sensible or not is up to you as a thinking diver to decide for yourself.

If you want to go beyond that Trimix (normoxic) takes you down to 200.

I agree that the instructor makes the course...but...

It might be enlightening to actually read the PADI technical curricula.

Especially interesting is this quote from the 3rd class in the series:

During the Tec 50 course, you

• Qualify to make technical decompression dives independently

Compare this with the TDI/GUE/UTD/IANTD class syllabus.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom