Tec Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed:
Alright, I'll bite... why is your ultimate goal to become a tech diver?

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as things aren't rushed.

I know several divers who learned to dive on because they were tired of water putting a hault to their cave exploration. They went from OW class to cave diving and in sumps using sidemounts to top it off. The diving was just a means to an end and these folks rarely get in the water unless the water is in the way. They were of course experienced caver first.

Other take up diving specifically because they have wrecks in mind that they want to visit in person.

For these people I see little sense in wasting a bunch of time and money doing and buying things that don't bring them any closer to their goal.

Have to agree with Mike on this one. Setting a goal and achieving it is not a problem. Learning on the proper gear and the proper techniques from the beginning will help considerably. The important part is to ensure that training and experience are not rushed but taken at the pace the individual can handle. I beleive that 100 dives in a rec BC/reg configuration doesn't do a heck of a lot to prepare you for tech diving. Doing the same dives in a true tech set-up BP/W long hose etc will start developing the habits needed to transition smoothy to tech.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. First let me clear up the BC issues. The Pro BC I got 1st because Sea Quest didn't make the Raider BC anymore, & I thought that it would be a great beginner BCD, & eventually as my skills progresed I could roll it over to my warm water BCD. I purchased the Raider because it was what I orginally wanted, & for the most part it will be able to grow w/ me as my skills progress. According to Sea Quest, & some articles I read in here, the Raider was specifically designed w/ twins in mind.

I one day fully intend to go the BP wing set up, but right now I wouldn't even Know where to begin on how to build one.

2nd I decided to shoot for my goals & certifications, because it allows me to get more experience & dives under my belt, & its just another reason to go diving(According to Padi, Go New Places, Meet New People, Try New Things). While I am new to Scuba diving, I have been Ab diving for over 10-years ( Again This doesn't mean I think I'm an expert Scuba Diver). Also the more I read, the more I find the things I want to see, begin @ the limits of my PADI Training. Mostly I just love the sport, & would dive everyday if I could.

Lastly w/ the rest of my equipment am I going the right direction there, & now that I have the basics where should I start putting my money? My next purchase is probably going to be an OS Drysuit.

Any input is appreciated.

DA Aquamaster:
Nothing wrong with being goal oriented, but just be careful not to push too far, too fast and get in over your head. In my opinion too many "tech" divers get a 100 dives in a hurry and rush off to fairly advanced tech training before they develop their basic in water skills, experience, and judgement to the neccesary level.

Basic skills need to be second nature and that is a far more important pre requisite than having the right equipment.

That is exactly my school of thought, experience 1st, equipment 2nd. I just hate buying stuff & then having to unload it later because I didn't know any better. Or Training on the wrong equipment, then having to retrain to do it the right way.

stoiclown:
I am a newer scuba diver with 24 Dives under my belt, with my ultimate goal down the road of becoming a tech diver, Maybr even someday an instructor. I've taken the advanced course (I realize this doesn't mean I'm an expert), & the EFR class, & I am currently working on my Rescue Diver, Nitrox, & Dry Suit Courses. Just to give a little background.

My question being this as I slowly build up my Equipment, what Regs, Maniflods, Computers, Tanks, Etc. should I start investing in. I don't want to buy equipment & have to dump it later because it doesn't meet my needs for the future.

Here is a list of equipment I currently own;

Sea Quest Pro Unlimited BC
Aqua Lung Legend LX Supreme Reg
Sunto Vytec Computer
Inclimate water Gear (wetsuit, hood, etc.)

I also recently purchased a Sea Quest Raider BC in anticipation of someday becoming a tech diver. This was the original BCD I wanted, but they don't make it anymore. I just happened to walk into an out of town shop one day & their it was, also got great deal on it.

What part of the state do you live in...I may be able to point in the right direction.

chrisch:
You need to get the rescue diver qual done before progressing. You need PADI (ie Rec) gear to do that. After then a move to long hose and wing would be my next itteration.

Chris

I did my Rescue in a BP/Wing with a long hose. In fact some of the rescue situations that they threw at me included divers in doubles. It's just that that damn snorkel kept getting in the way.

If you really want to get into tech diving and considering where you are at in your diving achievements, I would strongly recommend taking DIR Fundementals. You will then understand the basic concepts, some of the basic skills, and the configurations for tech diving. It will help you out immensely and ultimately save you a bunch of money.

OE2X:
If you really want to get into tech diving and considering where you are at in your diving achievements, I would strongly recommend taking DIR Fundementals. You will then understand the basic concepts, some of the basic skills, and the configurations for tech diving. It will help you out immensely and ultimately save you a bunch of money.

What is DIR Fundamentals?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom