Tec Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in a similar position a year ago. I decided to park my bcd, bought a backplate wing and a singles wing. I am diving the longhose setup, but still only using singles. This is a great first step and for me, I have no use for doubles yet. When I'm ready, I'll invest in a doubles rig. I'm going to buy a complete seperate rig, because I'm a divemaster and when working with classes I'd rather not lug the doubles around. Then get a good drysuit and a nice canister light.

One other question, what are you using for fins? Jets/turtles are great and you won't regret buying a set. Also make sure you get spring straps for them. Makes life a lot easier. Then go sign up for a DIR-F course in your area. This was by far the best course I've ever taken. If you want to research it a bit go to the GUE website.

bcsean:
One other question, what are you using for fins? Jets/turtles are great and you won't regret buying a set. Also make sure you get spring straps for them. Makes life a lot easier. Then go sign up for a DIR-F course in your area. This was by far the best course I've ever taken. If you want to research it a bit go to the GUE website.

I use the older Oceanic V- Drive fins that I bought a long time ago, I really like them. But alot of guys @ my local dive shop use the Force Fins, so i'm thinking about switching. If it helps here some of the other equipment I have;

O'Neil J-Type Wetsuit
Deep Sea Boots
Weight Belt
Kevlar Gloves, & Standard.
UK Dive Lites
Dive Knife
Cutting Shears
13' Pony Bottle w/ 4' Hose
Lift Bag
Compass w/ Slate

Here are the classes I've Taken w/ my advanced open water;

Deep Diving
Peak Performance Bouyancy
Search & Recovery
Navigation
Boat Diving
Night Diving

stoiclown:
I use the older Oceanic V- Drive fins that I bought a long time ago, I really like them. But alot of guys @ my local dive shop use the Force Fins, so i'm thinking about switching. If it helps here some of the other equipment I have;

O'Neil J-Type Wetsuit
Deep Sea Boots
Weight Belt
Kevlar Gloves, & Standard.
UK Dive Lites
Dive Knife
Cutting Shears
13' Pony Bottle w/ 4' Hose
Lift Bag
Compass w/ Slate

Here are the classes I've Taken w/ my advanced open water;

Deep Diving
Peak Performance Bouyancy
Search & Recovery
Navigation
Boat Diving
Night Diving

Another suggestion I would make is to get outside of your sphere of influence as far as your local dive shop goes. I'm not telling you to ditch them. However, there is so much more to be had out there in this sport and if you are stuck just taking you LDS's advise all the time you are probably going to miss something.

For example, one of the shops that is local in my area believes that Nitrox was only a fad the early 90's and that Nitrox sales in our area are down. So in turn, he tells all his new students the same thing and they get stuck diving tire filler because this clown has no clue. The reality is that the Nitrox business in this area is growing and he is misleading his cluless customers and loosing out on business.

That is only one of many examples that I can give. Get out there and dive with some other divers. Spend some time here on Scubaboard. Come on out to the XP day, but please (for your own sake) save your money till you do some research; that is what I did once upon a time and I'm glad I did. You don't want to be a casualty of the
Zeagle Ranger/Ebay/bp&wing manuver if you can help it. :D

boomx5:
Another suggestion I would make is to get outside of your sphere of influence as far as your local dive shop goes. I'm not telling you to ditch them. However, there is so much more to be had out there in this sport and if you are stuck just taking you LDS's advise all the time you are probably going to miss something. :D

Thanks for the Input, I also use that Dive shop in your neck of the woods. The Dolphin Dive Center, I purchased an O' neil 3000GBS from them, My weights, Lites, & Dive Bag. I wanted to Dive up in Lake Tahoo & was thinking about giving them a try, it was easier to go there when I lived in Suisun, but now that I'm in Napa it taked 1.5- 1.75 Hrs.

stoiclown:
Thanks for the Input, I also use that Dive shop in your neck of the woods. The Dolphin Dive Center, I purchased an O' neil 3000GBS from them, My weights, Lites, & Dive Bag.

Dolphin is the best around. If you ever need anything over there, talk to Patrick he'll do a great job of helping you out. They also have a great selection of gear so if you are ever up here let me know and I'll try and hook up with you.

stoiclown:
Thanks for the Input, I also use that Dive shop in your neck of the woods. The Dolphin Dive Center, I purchased an O' neil 3000GBS from them, My weights, Lites, & Dive Bag.

What's Scott is saying is that, when you first start diving, generally all of your information comes from one source. Usually your instructor.

Even if he's the best instructor ever, understand that he is an employee of the dive shop, and understand that his point of view is only one of many.

Before you rush out and buy what you think you need experience what other people are doing and understand why. Then make informed decisions about what you want.

Of the equipment that you've purchased so far, almost none of it will follow you into tec diving if that's the way you choose to go.

Take Scotts advice and go down for the experience day, it will likely give you a totally different point of view on diving and equipment than you existing instructor has. Even if you reject everything you see there, you will at least have made the decision in the light of information.

Just my 2c

ERP:
What's Scott is saying is that, when you first start diving, generally all of your information comes from one source. Usually your instructor.

Even if he's the best instructor ever, understand that he is an employee of the dive shop, and understand that his point of view is only one of many.

Before you rush out and buy what you think you need experience what other people are doing and understand why. Then make informed decisions about what you want.

Of the equipment that you've purchased so far, almost none of it will follow you into tec diving if that's the way you choose to go.

Take Scotts advice and go down for the experience day, it will likely give you a totally different point of view on diving and equipment than you existing instructor has. Even if you reject everything you see there, you will at least have made the decision in the light of information.

Just my 2c

Sorry didn't mean to give the impression that I wasn't, but I'm taking in all your advice. I was just trying to state that I always get a 2nd opinion. Thats One of the reasons I'm on this site Asking the Questions.

O.K. little help here, I do nitrox want to do advance nitrox and decompression diving, stering toward cave, need a new reg. which one is best for all this.
Doing above 40% is there anything special to look for in a reg.

divers2:
O.K. little help here, I do nitrox want to do advance nitrox and decompression diving, stering toward cave, need a new reg. which one is best for all this.
Doing above 40% is there anything special to look for in a reg.

No titanium. And it will need to be O2 cleaned and serviced (can be done after you buy it usually). For caving, i've heard it suggested you get one you can take apart with no tools underwater.

Many of the popular regs come "nitrox ready" off the shelf. If the reg is nitrox ready, it usually will be stated in the list of features. You have a variety of choices including, DiveRite, Salvo, Apex and so on. Personall, I use a reg with a balanced first stage diaphragm vs. a piston.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom