Tec regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon regs are rebranded Scubapros. Same kits and all.

I would shy away from the tiny reg companies and go with established options.

I was referring to this:

12863.jpg

DA AquamasterDirectional ToastScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999

Tababta has manufactured Scubapro's designs for them for at least the last 20 years. SP invests in the engineering, not in the manufacturing capability. What normally happens is that after the exclusive rights expire, Tabata will make a mechanically identical but cosmetically altered model for it's own distribution. In the US they are then sold through TUSA (Tabata USA). Part numbers are normally cross referenced and completely interchangeable. So, the similariteis between the RS-460 and Mk 16/S550 are more than just similarities, but it's a situation of Tabata making the regs for both TUSA and Scubapro.​

What makes Deep 6 regulators different? | Deep Thoughts

Other than this, I would really like to hear what makes them so special it cannot be called an imitation, reiteration whatever of an extremely proven regulator design? Company seems great, owned and run by divers and I am convinced that they are good quality. They also sell service kits to everybody like Apeks in Europe.

With your definition, everyone is an imitation.

@taimen We look forward to being able to get a set into your hands! Just wanted to clarify a few points that may help for some reading. Some people seem to be confused as to what the 'Deep6' reg is when the subject comes up on scubaboard.

Our signature series regulator is a custom design we have worked on for a number of years, with custom internal components and improvements, nothing at all similar to an Apeks DST other than being a balanced diaphragm regulator. If you compare the pictures its easy to see that they are not similar in any appearance. The regulator we produce for DGX, which is a DGX product, is a well proven design used at various points by many brands, but it isn't actually the regulator we sell ourselves, and doesn't incorporate our features.

I recently went through a similar situation (having to decide what to buy for a doubles/tech setup).

Assuming you will not be maintaining your own stuff.... and hopefully you have a local dive shop you know/trust. If that is the case, considering using what they service/support more of.

Apeks XTX50/DST would make a fine doubles diaphragm setup
Atomic M1 would make a great sealed piston setup (this is what I have -- Just took them down to 205 FSW yesterday)

As other said: If you are owning your own tanks and such.... having DIN would be preferred. And if you decide to jump on a plane and go dive the Caribbean, either use a Yoke tank adapter or buy a Yoke first stage to go along with your doubles setup.

either use a Yoke tank adapter

Do this instead of buying a Yoke first stage.

I have a dozen (or more) sets of Apeks DST/XTX50 regulators and can't find a fault in them. Buddies dive ScubaPro (with the suitcase of special servicing tools). I wouldn't buy an Atomic mostly because it uses a bunch of special metals with various compatibility with Oxygen which limits interchangeability.

Agreed that Atomic does have some wierd things with their parts. Many think there is titanium in the M1 but there isn't. It does use monel however.

Another wierd thing with their M1's is their statements around oxygen compatibility. Non-dedicated use up to 50% (versus 40%) and dedicated in O2 clean state up to 80% (versus 100%). Before buying I even called them to try to get the scoop on it. The 80% seems lawyer driven but that doesn't jive with the 50% limit for non-dedicated use.

I started out rec diving with the M1 with yoke (the rest of my family has atomic regs - B2/ST1/T3). I bought a M1 DIN first stage and a full DIN M1 set to complete my doubles setup. For my deco regs I grabbed another M1 for my 50% or less. For my 80-100% gas, I grabbed an apeks XTX40/DS4.

Couldn't be happier with the setup. But if I was starting from scratch, knowing what I know now... I would have gone the DST/XTX50 route. Less about Atomic vs. Apeks but more because the dive shop I like to use services more Apeks. I send my Atomic regs back to Huish to be factory serviced when needed.

So basically, you can use most any modern regulator for technical diving. You want a DIN, environmentally sealed 1st stage, and a properly tuned 2nd stage with a comfortable mouthpiece. If you want to also service your gear you should pick regs that you can buy service kits for easily.

I've been diving HOGs for the last five years and they breathe great, but so do most other regs.

Apeks regs are the only way in my opinion. I personally use the XTX200 with a FSR first stage. The MTX-R is also great but it has no diver adjustment controls. You could also go for an XTX50 paired with the DS4 first stage. Bottom line is you cant go wrong with an Apeks reg.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom