Tech Computer advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the original post.

I am getting ready to take my Adv-N/Deco course and the instructor is requiring a 3 gas computer.

The instructors required equipment list from the class down4fun linked to.

Dive Computer – A quality Tek dive computer, which can handle a minimum of 3 gases is necessary. For dive planning, you will be working with tables for the course, but we want all participants to have a real dive computer as well.
John – Likes the Shearwater Pursuit.
Richie – Likes the VRx.

It strikes me that there is quite a difference between a 3 gas recreational computer & a "quality Tek dive computer, which can handle a minimum of 3 gases"

I also wonder why they require a 3 gas computer when they're setting up for 2 gas dives.

Regulators – Bring two quality regulators for your bottom gas, plus an additional Oxygen clean Nitrox regulator for your deco gas. You will need one pressure gauge on one of the backmount regs, and one SPG on the Nitrox reg. In addition, you will need a Regulator “Necklace” or lanyard for your secondary backmount regulator.

Last edited:
^^

clearly one is "absolutely necessary for you to manage the inherent risk of the wreck environment"

even if you are only equipped to use 2/3 of its functionality.

^^

Ahh, so this would be what a technical wallah is talking about when they refer to redundancy & the rule of thirds.

A 1/3rd computer reserve - I never thought of that.

I was willing to get one anyway at some point but I assumed it would be when I took Trimix. ... Is this a cost of doing business and I should bite the bullet now and get a trimix capable puter or would a standard 3 gas puter like the Aeris Epic (or similar) be fine and then sell it later or use the tables for trimix. I have a single gas guage mode watch for BT later but do not want to end up with 3 computers unless that is the norm.
It appears from your post that trimix is likely in the (? not too distant) future, so I would recommend getting a He-capable computer now, rather than buying a multigas, non-He unit, then selling it in the future. Opinions vary, but I particularly like the Liquivision X-1 because of its size and display quality.

As for the 'discussion' regarding tables and computers for more advanced diving - yes, you ordinarily adhere to your tables and timer as the primary 'control' during a decompression dive. But, having a trimix computer for trimix dives does not mean that you are not doing dive planning, cutting tables, following your run times, etc. Rather, it means you are adding a level of redundancy to the (at least 2) copies of your dive plan that you will already be carrying. I find it reassuring to see my computer(s) clear while I am at my 20 ft stop, ahead of my tabled time. (And, yes, I will at times surface earlier in that case.) It is interesting, that a discussion of using the RDP vs a dive computer doesn't produce exactly the same advice, and frequently favors the computer.

Is it possible to have 'too much' gear? Well, a somewhat cynical answer would be 'No'. I have ended up with 3 computers - an older Vytec, a Nitek He and a Liquivision X-1. I plan to sell the Vytec and replace it with a Helo2, then sell the Nitek with no replacement, and downsize to 2. I like having two in case one fails. Is it essential - probably not. Three is probably overkill, but two is a 'nice to have'.

Dive Computer – A quality Tek dive computer, which can handle a minimum of 3 gases is necessary. For dive planning, you will be working with tables for the course, but we want all participants to have a real dive computer as well.
John – Likes the Shearwater Pursuit.
Richie – Likes the VRx.

Translates as: You won't use it on the course, but we made it a requirement anyway.

II particularly like the Liquivision X-1 because of its size and display quality.

I LOVE how bright the oled on the X1 is. It's extremely legible under almost any conditions.

I'm not a fan of the buttonless interface, but Steve Jobs would love it.

I'm not a fan of the buttonless interface, but Steve Jobs would love it.
I had some misgivings about that as well. But, after using it for 7 months, I really like the feature. Much easier than buttons, IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom