Tech Diving Info plz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikiko

Reaction score
I have been diving for many years and now I am thinking I would like to get into tech diving. I have finished my Nitrox coarse and I am now starting to think about equipment but have a few questions:

What equipment (size and brand) do you use or suggest and why ::06:

Back Plate and Harness,
BC,
Tanks,
Valves,
Canister light ( HID,10w 21w brand )

I have all my equipment for recreational diving but would like to go twin tanks and can't with what I have now.

I don't like to buy things that I have to replace in a few years and most expensive dosen't mean the best. Want to keep it simple as well. I also know I need more training but would like to get use to the equipment first.

Hope you can help any information will help.

Thank you

Mikiko,

You first have to define why it is that you want to get into "TECH" divning. It should be more than taking classes and buying equipment. The "TECH" field has become very broad and a great dael of gear is task specific. Once you have a more clearly defined goal to get into tech diving the rest will fall into place.

Mikiko:
I have been diving for many years and now I am thinking I would like to get into tech diving. I have finished my Nitrox coarse and I am now starting to think about equipment but have a few questions:

Back Plate and Harness,
BC,
Tanks,
Valves,

I have all my equipment for recreational diving but would like to go twin tanks and can't with what I have now.

I don't like to buy things that I have to replace in a few years and most expensive dosen't mean the best. Want to keep it simple as well. I also know I need more training but would like to get use to the equipment first.

Thank you

Whatever you do, buy stuff that you can get serviced locally. Believe me you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

As for gear I don't think brand matters as much as availability, serviceability and features/fit/comfort.

My stuff is Diverite/Faber and Greenforce for the reasons I mentioned above. Everyone else will have their favorite brands too.

As for lights, I guess someone has to be the brightest star in the heavens but if your light is too bright animals will flee from you.... I guess it depends on what you're planning on doing with it....

R..

I strongly suggest you don't get your purchasing advice solely from the internet. Ask you instructor and then get various opinions here. Any advice you get on scubaboard should be suspect (including mine)

Mikiko:

Back Plate and Harness,
BC,
Tanks,
Valves,

Thank you

I'd recommend finding an Instructor / mentor that's currently doing the kind of dives you aspire to do. See what they use, have them explain why they made the gear choices they did.

This is a great site for second opinions. If you have questions or doubts about what you learn locally you bounce em off people here.

Between the two you should be able arrive a solid workable set of gear.

Regards,

Tobin

As for lights, I guess someone has to be the brightest star in the heavens but if your light is too bright animals will flee from you...

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but the above point caught my attention. Is there an inexpensive way to soften or dim a very powerful light so as not to disturb and abuse sealife? Maybe with a screen in front of the lighthead?

Hey all:

Thanks for the info so far I will try to answer some of your questions/commest.

I have an instructor/friend and shop already and I can get OMS, Dive Rite, Apex, US Diver ( Aqua-Lung), UK and almost any other manufacturer.

The shop is Rec & Tek Scuba in Canada
( http://www.recandtekscuba.com/ )

I will be doing Wreck Tech dives mostly I'm not into caves as of yet and don't think I will either. I do some penetration now but would like to do some advance penetration.

This will be like a second opinion(s) I always like to hear as many suggestions as I can get.

Thanks again, I hope this helps,
any info is appreciated

Mikiko

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom