Tech friendly dive shops near Dale Mabry and Northdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianstclair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just took a new job in Tampa near Dale Mabry HW and Northdale. Anyone know of a "tech friendly" dive shop in that area? In a perfect world, I'd like to find a shop with good people working there who are active cave or tech divers who might not be opposed to the occassional LP overfill... Not that I would ever dive with such a time bomb on my back, but FRIENDS of mine would, and I'm asking for them :no

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to hook up with some cave divers down that way and see what there is to see.

Safe diving,
Brian

Check out Bert Wilcher who owns Tampa Adventure Sports on Fowler. Bert is a world-class cave diver and an outstanding instructor. He can fill any trimix blend you want and has thoroughly explored every cave in Florida. You can contact him at 813-989-3483 or bert@tampaadventuresports.com.

Ditto to debersole's post. Bert is a nice guy, I have been to his shop several times already. Seems to be a family business with 2 sons and wife - they made me feel like they are my family.

brianstclair:
I just took a new job in Tampa near Dale Mabry HW and Northdale. Anyone know of a "tech friendly" dive shop in that area? In a perfect world, I'd like to find a shop with good people working there who are active cave or tech divers who might not be opposed to the occassional LP overfill... Not that I would ever dive with such a time bomb on my back, but FRIENDS of mine would, and I'm asking for them :no

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to hook up with some cave divers down that way and see what there is to see.

Safe diving,
Brian

You are in Ocala so Tampa Adventure would be good for you. There is also divers supply in pinch and it is about about 2 miles from where you work (directions at the bottom). We have lots of tech/cave divers in there - the shop has taken a pretty big turn from what they used to be. You will find lots come in to just hang out and chat. Brian, Josh, and Aaron are always keen to shoot the breeze.

We have several tech/cave divers that live in your area. look for people like Narcosis, EanDiver, and HoundDog (just a few to get you started).

Hey as a matter of fact we have a dive coming up - it is not a cave dive - but you still might be interested. Here it is - we need a sixth so.... : http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=193484

Divers Supply: Head S. on DM, make a right on Linebaugh Ave., make a right at the next light which is Gunn Hwy. (at least going to your right it is - left it is Busch), and the shop is a couple blocks down on your right). Get to Casey and you've messed up :wink:

Bert Welcher's place is the only true tech store in the area. The next closest would be Byrds underwater in Crystal River or Scuba West in Hudson.

well your kind of in the middle, i would say either cave country or Bert's place. If in fact your in Ocala, I dont know where northdale is, but i do know that Dale Mabry runs into MacDill AFB

I gotta give it up to Tampa Adventure Sports. I'm not a tech guy but they have a nice tech section. The only one I remember seeing in the area. They are great people like everyone has said. There is also Depth Perception in the Brandon Area. I think they lean more toward tech than the average dive shop but I have never done any business with them to know that much about them.

wallacm:
well your kind of in the middle, i would say either cave country or Bert's place. If in fact your in Ocala, I dont know where northdale is, but i do know that Dale Mabry runs into MacDill AFB

He is about 30 minutes from there.

There is another shop - EZ Scuba - personally I do not recommend them.

Have to add another vote for Tampa Adventure Sports..I live west of Northdale (Odessa) and still run over to TAS for anything dive related...Bert and co. are Good People and will treat you right...(just don't go in on Friday afternoon and expect to get much real "work" done...everyone in the area shows up to get tanks, etc for the weekend)...I've also gone on several dive trips (Keys, Cayman Brac, Pompano Beach) with them and they do a great job on those too...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom