Tech through PADI or TDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you really want solid tech diver training, I'd go with GUE.

Some folks seem to project the idea that GUE is the perfect fit for tech training for everyone. Some folks don’t want to or can’t dive BM doubles. I fall into the latter category due to knee issues. I’m doing SM. GUE seems to have introduced SM as an alternative configuration recently, but for those already cave trained. I’m going TDI.

Don't forget that the owner of GUE is also a PADI instructor, and he has PADi instruction offered at the shops he owns, so that agency should be avoided. I wonder what it is like instructing under those circumstances. How do you remember whether you are supposed to be God-like or incompetent during a class?
But mostly that is not the case. For a random customer, choosing a random shop/Instructor the outcomes will be different, on average, between GUE affiliated shops/instructors and PADI ones.

For instance, there is a difference in rules about whether an instructor can be in teaching status. One of our localish GUE instructors is currently unable to teach as he is busy getting on with other parts of his life and cannot meet the minimum requirements to continue. He will have to jump through some QC hoops to restart.

The dedication required to become, and maintain, GUE instructor status is not the same as for a PADI instructor.

Quite often we have people come to our club who did a course in some warm water resort location. Because they are the market leader the diver is likely to have trained with PADI. We say ‘excellent, we can start with the Sports Diver course’. Sometimes they say ‘hmmm, I would rather start from scratch’.

So while there exist some fine PADI instructors, and I have trusted my son with one (although she also teaches TDI and BSAC), on average, you are likely to be better off elsewhere.

Size is a disadvantage after a certain point, at least from a customer point of view.

Some folks seem to project the idea that GUE is the perfect fit for tech training for everyone.

Who do you perceive as projecting that idea? I don't recall seeing any post here or in other threads stating or implying GUE is right for everyone. If someone looking for tech training said they were adamant about sidemount for whatever reason, I don't think we would see anyone suggesting GUE.

Who do you perceive as projecting that idea? I don't recall seeing any post here or in other threads stating or implying GUE is right for everyone. If someone looking for tech training said they were adamant about sidemount for whatever reason, I don't think we would see anyone suggesting GUE.

I’ve had a number of PMs, once I indicated an interest in tech, strongly suggesting GUE, telling me to get twinset trained first then take up SM, saying my knee issues were a “non-issue” or that I was faking them. I just deleted the PMs and blocked the senders.

I’ve had a number of PMs, once I indicated an interest in tech, strongly suggesting GUE, telling me to get twinset trained first then take up SM, saying my knee issues were a “non-issue” or that I was faking them. I just deleted the PMs and blocked the senders.

Okay, I suppose the "anyone" in my reply is as unrealistic as the "everyone" in your comment. There will always be jerks out there. Not surprising they said what they did by PM.

Okay, I suppose the "anyone" in my reply is as unrealistic as the "everyone" in your comment. There will always be jerks out there. Not surprising they said what they did by PM.

I said" "some" not everyone.

EDIT: I'm referring to the "some" as in "some people want to project the idea GUE is a perfect fit for everyone."

I said" "some" not everyone.

EDIT: I'm referring to the "some" as in "some people want to project the idea GUE is a perfect fit for everyone."

I got it, thanks. The "some people" in your comment referred to a couple of jerks who accused you of not understanding your knee issue and wouldn't even post publicly because they knew everyone else would disagree. For all intents and purposes, a couple of nobodies.

Edit: I was referring to the sentence: "Some folks seem to project the idea that GUE is the perfect fit for tech training for everyone."

Don't forget that the owner of GUE is also a PADI instructor, and he has PADi instruction offered at the shops he owns, so that agency should be avoided. I wonder what it is like instructing under those circumstances. How do you remember whether you are supposed to be God-like or incompetent during a class?
Sure. But let me ask you a couple of questions: what is your estimate as to what percentage of PADI OW instructors still, today, teach students on their knees? Why is that? When will that stop?

Sure. But let me ask you a couple of questions: what is your estimate as to what percentage of PADI OW instructors still, today, teach students on their knees? Why is that? When will that stop?
I have no idea what that percentage it is. But whatever it is, that is still too few.

It is now 7 years since PADI first recommended that instructors stop teaching on their knees, although they (sadly) did not require that they stop. Can you tell me of the more than 100 agencies teaching OW diving preceded them in that? Can you tell me which agencies are recommending it now? Can you tell me which agencies are requiring it?

If you are gong to say GUE, would that be all 5-6 students getting OPW certification through GUE back then? (That is an estimate--the actual number might not have been that high.)

Finally, can you tell me what OW procedures have to do with tech diving?

Finally, can you tell me what OW procedures have to do with tech diving?
OW procedures should establish a baseline, a solid foundation, to build upon if someone decides to get into tech at a later date. Going from OW to tech should not require relearning the basic principles of diving.
:wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom