Tech through PADI or TDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More training = Better Skills.

In a 4 (min) dive course, how much reliability and consistency is able to be achieved?

I'm accounting for the 'human factor', as you gain in experience and training the skills you have become more ingrained... your responses become more reliable and you risk of screwing up declines.

Yes, my courses are significantly longer than the minimum, I put an emphasis on maximising in-water hours with the student... and I push the standards as high as the student can tolerate (with stress causing a barrier to effective learning).

Nonetheless, would I say that every Tec40 student graduates as an INFALLIBLE technical diver? Of course not... that'd be ludicrous.

Yes... ludicrous. That's something you start to appreciate only when you've gained significant (000's or 0000's) of tech diving experience.

Nonetheless, entry-level tech is what it is... and it's not extended range or advanced trimix..

Each step upwards raises the penalties and consequences of getting it wrong.

Tec40 is still very forgiving of errors... and that's very prudent for entry-level tech divers.. who may (with some instructors) have less than 4 dives tech experience, or fewer than 3-4 hours of in-water training.

Why not? What's the rush?

Those capable of doing so can progress directly on to Tec45 (AN/DP equivalent) and further.

Those that need more practice and/or experience have opportunity to do so, before attempting the next course.

I marvel at how some novice tech divers seem to rush into quite unforgiving dives.... there's some severe over-confidence in that attitude.

One characteristic shared by all my tech students is a humility and prudence in their development. You wouldn't hear them complaining about not being allowed to dive deep enough, or with enough decompression, or with X, Y or Z gasses..

The quality of a good tech course is evident when it shows students how fallible they can be.. and how they can easily screw up, especially under realistic and extraordinary pressures...

If a tech course fails to inspire that attitude, or understanding, it was probably a really crappy course...
Hi DevoDiver, are you still an active tech instructor in Philippines?

I don't teach OW, I teach technical diving. I've done so as a full-time living for a decade.

I see very little similarity between teaching OW and teaching tech.

You're a qualified entry-level tech diver right? You should know..
Are you still teaching technical diving in the Philippines now?

He is teaching, but he's not in scuba board anymore.

Scubatechphilippines.com is his website

Andy is active on social media. His FB page is here: Andy Davis and it links to other social media sites where he participates. Good luck!

Anybody know if there are other dive forums that Andy regularly posts in? I do miss his somewhat passionate opinions. I can't see any links on his FB page but I'm possibly being blind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom