Technical BC with various manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CKH1

New
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have been in the market for a new technical BC, I have considered many different manufacturers: Apeks, DiveRite, Halcyon, Hollis, OMS, etc.
While each manufacturer has its pros and cons on the individual components which are used in a technical BC, I could not make up my mind on one manufacturer to purchase a tech BC from. So, for SNG's I decided to choose components which I could find the cheapest, whether from in store or online.
I live in Florida and most of my diving is in the ocean and nearshore environments. I do little recreational diving as my work requires technical/scientific diving.
I would appreciate your opinions, comments, and thoughts on a technical BC made of the following components:

Wing- Hollis S25 LX
Harness - DiveRite Deluxe
Backplate - OMS AL backplate

This is just the basic setup. I would most likely add additional accessories such as a backpad for the backplate and harness shoulder pads, along with additional D rings and weight attachments etc.

The price I came to was around $420

I look forward to reading responses and answering questions.

Thanks.

My opinion, is that you should get whatever suits your fancy. A wing is a wing...just make sure you have a lift capacity that suits your type of diving. A harness is a harness...some prefer the deluxe style, most eventually end up in a standard DIR style harness.

Backplate mfg really matters very little. What does matter is the weight of it. Most people diving singles end up with a steel plate(it is heavy and reduces or eliminates the need for ditchable lead), and those that carry big steel doubles prefer the lighter aluminum plates(there is a need to lighten the overall negative bouyancy...so that the rig can be swam to the surface if the wing fails).

Long story short, asking what people's opinions are concerning the individual components of the rig will get you almost nowhere. Will the rig work? It should as long as your wing is of sufficient size to float your rig at the surface.

Hello CKH

Welcome to Scubaboard

I am unsure whether the Hollis wing camband slots will line up with the OMS backplate camband slots. For single cylinder diving it is usually necessary to use a backplate and wing from the same maker. I have an aluminum backplate where I extended the slots using a die grinder so that the slots would line up with the wing, but that shouldn't be necessary if you're going to spend $400+.

I personally am fond of the DSS backplates and wings for single-cylinder diving since they allow removal of the wing without removal of the cambands.

Many technical divers prefer a bare-bonds (Hogarthian) harness. If you have your reasons for a deluxe harness, great, if not, might want to consider the alternative.

My opinion, is that you should get whatever suits your fancy. A wing is a wing...just make sure you have a lift capacity that suits your type of diving. A harness is a harness...some prefer the deluxe style, most eventually end up in a standard DIR style harness.

Backplate mfg really matters very little. What does matter is the weight of it. Most people diving singles end up with a steel plate(it is heavy and reduces or eliminates the need for ditchable lead), and those that carry big steel doubles prefer the lighter aluminum plates(there is a need to lighten the overall negative bouyancy...so that the rig can be swam to the surface if the wing fails).

Long story short, asking what people's opinions are concerning the individual components of the rig will get you almost nowhere. Will the rig work? It should as long as your wing is of sufficient size to float your rig at the surface.

Tom,
Thank you for your response. I have not decided wether I want a SS or AL plate yet, at this point I am leaning towards AL. I do believe that the 25 will be of sufficient size for the wing. I am not a big guy and usually don't carry heavy loads and gear for my work. My concern is if the plate and harness and wing will be able to be assembled easily and appropriately.
I presume that when you get to the "technical level" of gear that the quality and reliability between manufacturers are all pretty equal.

Thanks again for your input, experience and knowledge.

Are you going to be diving doubles at all?

If so, the wing will be a no go. Singles? Probably sufficient.

Hello CKH

Welcome to Scubaboard

I am unsure whether the Hollis wing camband slots will line up with the OMS backplate camband slots. For single cylinder diving it is usually necessary to use a backplate and wing from the same maker. I have an aluminum backplate where I extended the slots using a die grinder so that the slots would line up with the wing, but that shouldn't be necessary if you're going to spend $400+.

I personally am fond of the DSS backplates and wings for single-cylinder diving since they allow removal of the wing without removal of the cambands.

Many technical divers prefer a bare-bonds (Hogarthian) harness. If you have your reasons for a deluxe harness, great, if not, might want to consider the alternative.

2air,

Thank you for your response.
Your uncertainty of whether the Hollis wing will line up with the OMC plate is the same as mine. I guess I would actually have to try it, the equipment can always be returned or the backplate can be altered slightly, I am sure without any detriment.

I will have to take a look at DSS gear as I am not familiar with it. I have considered a more bare bones harness as you mentioned. They can always be reconfigured with D rings etc.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice.

As far as DSS goes, their products are fantastic. I'm not sure if Tobin still lurks this board, but give him a call and he can set you up with a killer rig. Dude knows his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom