Technical BC with various manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally am fond of the DSS backplates and wings for single-cylinder diving since they allow removal of the wing without removal of the cambands.

You can have the same thing with pretty much any brand of wing, if you use ScubaPro-style quick release tank straps. Which just happen to be only $15 each on the Dive Gear Express website now.

I really like those QR tank straps and my HOG wing comes off just as easily as my DSS wing did.

I looked at some actual ScubaPro tank straps the other day and I think the DGX ones are actually better. The SP ones have the strap tail run to the outside. The DGX ones have the strap tail tucked to the inside. So, once fastened, the DGX ones cannot come loose by pulling the strap tail loose from the velcro it attaches to. The SP ones can.

I've used the ScubaPro QR straps and don't like them. They are harder to adjust, and I'm more concerned about them coming loose during a dive.

With the exception of the XDeep NX Project, which is quite innovative beyond basic donut wing design, and the Halcyon Evolve, which offers the cinch system..... there's very little to differentiate the form and function of most technical BP&W systems.

I happily build my own harnesses from components sold off-the-shelf in any dive shop. I get generic ali backplates here in SE Asia... cheap and cheerful. Then it's just a choice of which economical wing to purchase.... Deep6, HOG, DGX are good options for a sound balance of economy and quality.

If you can wait a couple of months, DRIS had some insane Black Friday specials on HOG backplates and Tropical wings. I got both for under $200. No guarantee they will do the same this year, but I sure there will be something comparable. Northeast Scuba Supply may still have their deals on Diver Rite Transplate harnesses for around $75, or go with a standard harness. I'm old and don't bend like I used to so I enjoy the quick release shoulder buckles.

Then a cyber trip to either Piranha or Dive Gear Express for every kind of D ring imaginable, weight pockets, and everything else and you can decorate yourself like a Christmas tree...or not...it's up to you.

Or, dump the plate all together and just dive a Dive Rite Transpac. I love mine. My plate is great...except I'm 6'1" and it's a little short. Deep Sea Supply makes a long version that will magically appear one day should I need a stainless plate.

Keep in mind what you are looking for regularly appears for sale in the classifieds here and I'm sure Craigslist in Florida is loaded with them.

Good luck with your search!
Jay

The Dive Gear Express "DGX Custom" bp/w package is $299. Cheapest that's readily available that's not a random on-sale setup.

Comes with everything you need, nothing you don't. You can add shoulder pads and weight pockets if you want.

But realistically, you don't need the snivel gear, and you don't need extra d-rings. "Cheap as chips" as our imperial brethren would say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom