"Technical." Dive Computers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I pointed out in another thread Andy has not dived most of these, indeed he probably has never been physically in the same building as some. This is not like a dive magazine taking them diving to see how it goes. This is almost like blokes in the pub discussing the pros and cons of F1 cars. Regurgitated knowledge based on the promo materials of the manufacturers.

Some I'm sure he'd never touch just based on algorithm alone. Basically proprietary (not fully understand, lacking the same level of research) bad. Buhlmann ZHL-16C good. For the ones he hasn't seen, I'm sure he's talked to technical divers who have. The guy is pretty thorough.

His website is there to build a brand to get him students. He has many articles like this on a variety of subjects. Mostly they are better than this one.

Sacre bleu! Sharing content to demonstrate that one's a SME as a marketing vehicle! Who would have thunk it?

After DAN and Rubicon, his website is arguably the largest collection of useful training information on the Internet. Of any instructor, likely the largest.

Lots of people who will never travel to the Philippines have benefited. I provide links to different articles to his website to my students and I doubt anyone I've taught so far will ever be his student, simply because none of them so far have expressed an interest in being a hardcore wreck diver.

After DAN and Rubicon, his website is arguably the largest collection of useful training information on the Internet.

No.

My diving clubs forum is also available through the internet, and it is better than his website. It presents the knowledge of dozens of divers, though. Explorers, technical divers, instructors, nurses, medical doctors, ... But it is not public. "The largest" is a dangerous notion. And remember, "the internet" does not contain any information. Nothing is "on the internet" but many things can be accessed through the internet.

You also forgot to mention Scubaboard, which I value exceptionally high.

I do not say his site is bad. I love reading it. I refer to it sometimes. I just want to stress the fact that many people together is sometimes better than just one person. And that marketing must take place. We should never think that instructors are diving gods. An instructor is a skilled diver who tries to make a living on diving. There are other skilled divers too.

But it is not public.

Then it is useless to 99.999999% of divers out there who cannot access it. I can provide links to his articles. I can't provide links to articles from your club's private website. So I really don't care about it.

You also forgot to mention Scubaboard, which I value exceptionally high.

There is certainly more helpful information on scubaboard. No argument there. But there isn't a TOC that enables people to navigate. Yes there is a search option, but I see web forums in a different category.

We should never think that instructors are diving gods. An instructor is a skilled diver who tries to make a living on diving. There are other skilled divers too.

I don't think Andy is a god. No one is, not even people like Dr. Mitchell and other researchers. But when it comes to sidemount and a number of other topics, he's a very good resource.

Then it is useless to 99.999999% of divers out there who cannot access it. I can provide links to his articles. I can't provide links to articles from your club's private website. So I really don't care about it.

I feel pedantic today, sorry for that :D
With that in mind....

You are correct, but there must be countless forums like ours, so please do not call his site "the best of the internet". It is more prudent to call it "a very good public source of information on X" :D

Oh... which you have done actually, in this thread.

But there isn't a TOC that enables people to navigate. Yes there is a search option, but I see web forums in a different category.

I do not agree on some detail/wording, but that is just my opinion... and it does not lessen the quality of Andys site in any way... It carries a lot of very usefull information. I actually like his site. But I do not believe in the existence of "the best".

I feel pedantic today, sorry for that :D
With that in mind....

You are correct, but there must be countless forums like ours, so please do not call his site "the best of the internet". It is more prudent to call it "a very good public source of information on X" :D

Oh... which you have done actually, in this thread.

I do not agree on some detail/wording, but that is just my opinion... and it does not lessen the quality of Andys site in any way... It carries a lot of very usefull information. I actually like his site. But I do not believe in the existence of "the best".
Is there a reason your site is not public? We are all always looking for good information.

Is there a reason your site is not public? We are all always looking for good information.

Reasons:
1) because it is a discussion forum of a membership based association
2) not in english

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom