Technical Expiditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here is a question for you tech divers.

I am starting a business which will offer technical expeditions around North America and the world.

I will be putting together trips to great dive locations and wrecks which will take just technical divers. each trip will require a specific level of certification, and experience

I have several trips I am currently working on and hope to have a web site up soon.

do you think that there is a market for a company that only caters to the tech market, arranging trips that would host only tech divers. going to dive sites that require technical training and experience.

Just looking for some input

AquaTec once bubbled...
Here is a question for you tech divers.

do you think that there is a market for a company that only caters to the tech market, arranging trips that would host only tech divers. going to dive sites that require technical training and experience.

Just looking for some input

If the trip is cost effective, yes. Just because you call it a "tech" trip does not mean you can charge more for it unless you provide added value over someone else who just has a boat.

Phil

some folks seem to do OK at it (Mad Dog Expeditions for example). Need any guides? :)

Tom

MechDiver once bubbled...

If the trip is cost effective, yes. Just because you call it a "tech" trip does not mean you can charge more for it unless you provide added value over someone else who just has a boat.

Phil

by calling it a tech only expedition it would destinguish it from recreational style trips and be limited to technical divers only.

the trips would be based on the costs, and there would be a small profit in it, the value added would be the organization envolved, the destinations, and the people who partisipate.

yes anyone could probably put together a trip for themselves or a group, we are just offering to do it for you, and work the bugs out of a usual expedition on your behalf.

we would also provide a guide/trip leader

who gets a free trip.... Just pulling your leg (I think you north americans say chain) Aquatec.

These days no one seems to want to organise anything so it is nice that someone is willing to take it on - and for that we have to pay a price, seems fair to me.

I certainly appreciated all that Simon did organising Bikini this year and have looked at Mad Dog - so hit us with it and good luck.

Jonathan

Jonathan once bubbled...
who gets a free trip.... Just pulling your leg (I think you north americans say chain) Aquatec.
Leg is correct, “Pulling you leg” is joking. “Yanking your chain” which I think you were referring to is trying to get someone to react to your statement, usually in a negative manner. In Internet parlance all a troll ever does is go around and “yank people’s chains”

Roak

oops! Hopefully from the rest of the mail you realise I am not being negative. "Pulling your leg" just means I am joking, having a laugh, taking the p*** (mind you depending on how you say the latter it could be friendly or negative!) - don't you just love language?!

I have a colleague going to the UK next week so I will get him to look out for that English/American dictionary I left behind last time....

Jonathan

Johnathan

I am thinking of doing some thing between what Simon was doing and Mad-Dog

not as expensive as Mad dog and to some of the places like Simon would like to dive

here are some ideas

expeditions to the following wrecks or wreck areas
you would need to be qualified and experienced in decompression diving, wreck diving, etc.

Bianca C - Grenada

Saratoga - Bikini

Truk - everything

Andria Doria - New Jersey

Wrecks of British Columbia - a five wreck odossey

Empress of Ireland - Montreal

WW I German Feet - Scapa Flow

Great Wrecks of North Carolina and New Jersey - a week or two long wreck odossey

Mexico caves and walls - 2 weeks
Day 1
land in Cancun and spend the night getting to know each other over a margarita
Day 2 - 5
Diving in the caves of the Yukatan based on your cert level
Day 6 - 11
Diving the Cozumel reefs
Day 12 - 14
Party in Cancun

Great White Sharks of California
5 days of diving with great white sharks

all of the above can be organised by yourself but you will probably need to organise a group or goin a group to do it right, and then it most likely will be a mix of tech and non tech diver

i am offering to do the work and set up dive for the technicaly minded. and i would also set up rebreather only trips as well

Man, I know I'D be willing to pay for a trip to dive with some Great Whites in NA. In 1996, when I was visiting Monterey, CA I asked a couple of dive shops if it was possible to do just that and they said the areas in N. California were now protected and cage diving wasn't allowed anymore.

Of course, that was 6 years ago, and they may or may not have been telling me the truth, anyway.

However, I'd like to hear more details regarding that particular trip.

Also, wondering what your classification of a "tech diver" would be, since you're saying you would like to keep the operation small and out of the recreational community.

Would you be selectively basing your clients on on their experience/certifications? The type of gear/skills involved in the dive? Would people just need to be able to afford the trip and they could go?

Matt

xoomboy once bubbled...
Man, I know I'D be willing to pay for a trip to dive with some Great Whites in NA. In 1996, when I was visiting Monterey, CA I asked a couple of dive shops if it was possible to do just that and they said the areas in N. California were now protected and cage diving wasn't allowed anymore.

Of course, that was 6 years ago, and they may or may not have been telling me the truth, anyway.

However, I'd like to hear more details regarding that particular trip.

Also, wondering what your classification of a "tech diver" would be, since you're saying you would like to keep the operation small and out of the recreational community.

Would you be selectively basing your clients on on their experience/certifications? The type of gear/skills involved in the dive? Would people just need to be able to afford the trip and they could go?

Matt

all good questions...thanks

I will fill you in on the Great whites as I put together more info.
it is a week long trip and does not require a technical cdertification, only an open water certification.

tech diver = a doing dives deeper than 130 feet, doing deco, diving. most dives will require this level of training and experience

each dive trip will have qualification and equipment requirements.
for instance - gear may be doubles only or ccr only
experience - deco procedures or wreck diver or cave diver, etc

they would need to be able to afford the trip to go, but they would also have to meet the qualifications

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom