Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Fold up snorkel in BCD

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • No snorkel

Votes: 132 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folded in my pant pocket just because here in Queensland is mandatory

I carried one on my mask for hundreds of dives - many with OW and AOW students. Then I didn't use one for several hundred dives. About a 18 months ago I was in a situation where I could have used one and didn't have it. I started carrying a foldable snorkel in my BCD pocket in case that situation ever arose again. I now also have a hard flexible dry snorkel in my Save-A-Dive bag, which I have loaned out to people who wanted to snorkel during the SI.

Cheers -

I have a contoured snorkel attached to the bottom of my BCD when I dive. It has been deployed a number of times for snorkelling with mantas, whale sharks and whales during dive trips. On my last dive trip, it was deployed daily to snorkel between land and the dive boat as that was the only way to get on the dive boat.

Not much to add except that I don't like dry snorkels for scuba, they trap air and pull on your mask strap.

Interesting, I dive with a dry snorkel all the time and have never experienced that. What dry snorkel are you using?

I take my snorkel on every trip...and use it for snorkelling.

I haven't taken a snorkel on a dive since my AOW course. I never liked wearing a snorkel and it felt like I got rid of a real PITA when I stopped wearing one.

Having said that, I would consider taking one on some dives if there was a potential of it coming handy but I haven't figured a way of storing it on my BC. Maybe a foldable snorkel in cargo pocket would be handy!

I have a SP flex/contoured snorkel I take with me and use on every single dive I make (scuba and free diving of course). I switch to the snorkel when I am on the surface (I use snorkel if I have to do a giant stride entry) when I come up on the surface and never use the regulator on surface. Snorkel in mouth all time while on surface. I teach my students how to use snorkels properly. My Scuba Diver course is about 30% free diving/snorkeling training. The free diving/snorkeling training is done prior to going on scuba. Scuba diving skills are much easier to learn when the student has good skills in the use of free diving/snorkeling equipment and good skill level in snorkeling. I don't use the snorkel when going in an over-head environment.

I have been using the snorkel as described above for the last 45+ years of diving. I suspect that a great % of divers' issues with snorkels and subsequent aversion to using a snorkel is because of inadequate training on free diving/snorkeling skills in entry level courses.

Snorkels are great ... for snorkeling. I've not used one on a scuba dive since 2006. The vast majority of the experienced divers I know and dive with don't wear a snorkel. The folks wearing snorkels on the boats I'm on are new divers out of training, vacation divers, or a very select few who actually like the large piece of plastic and silicone flopping around next to their face all dive.

I have foldable one in my BCD pocket with other safety devices like PLB1, DSMB, mirror, flashlight, etc.

In 14 years, the only time I used it was when I snorkeled with mantas, whaleshark & night diving with silky sharks, not during scuba diving.

Having a snorkel strapped on mask is a distraction. It'll flutter & cause the mask to leak in a fast current. Flooded mask during such task overloaded situation, with your hands holding on to a rock to keep you from getting blown away to the blue water or to the abyss (in case of a downcurrent), was not fun.

QLD Australia laws say I must snorkel so I have one of those roll up ones in a holder clipped to a hip D-ring, can deploy immediately in those snorkel-or-perish emergencies! So far I was lucky enough not having to use my life saver o_O

Back
Top Bottom