Tell us about your pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tobin,

I'm headed back to Mexico for more cave training but this time I ain't takin' a drysuit. :shakehead I'm looking for a DIR solution for wetsuit pockets... can't find those 'fancy pants' anywhere.

So... what ya got? I looked at your website and your pockets seem like they might do the trick... but what else can you tell me about them? Will I be able to mount them so they will stay put... without sewing? And if sewing is preferred, where would I find someone that sews neoprene. And... are they a pretty good DIR solution? And (sorry... one more), do you suggest the old method of a bungee loop or do you have some other way of securing the contents of each pocket?

Stephan,

Our pockets include grommets for a bungee loop near the top, one on each side. This how I secure the contents, i.e. everything is clipped off to the bungee.

Our pockets can be either attached via adhesive, or sewing or both. For a neo wetsuit I recommend using adhesive on the outer ~1/2 of the oversized backing. You can sew around the pocket (blind stitch like a knee pad) or just take a few stitches at the top corners. Due to the oversized backing and the fact that the corners of the backing are loaded in shear and not peel, glue alone can be enough.

The advantage of glueing only the outer 1/2 " of the backing is you can trim off the pocket when you wetsuit "expires" and move it to your next suit.

The backing on our pockets extends ~1" beyond the outline of the pocket.

Enjoy your trip.

Tobin

Do you sell the adhesive or if not, what specific brand would you recommend?

The sewing thing makes me a bit nervous but I suppose my wife could handle it. Is there a specific thread type/needle size? (i know nothing about sewing) Are there any special instructions for sewing neoprene? And.. any suggestions on placement or tips on how to position the pockets just right?

Tobin,
I'm also interested in your pockets, questions:
When sewing the pocket to the suit, do you recommend sewing around the perimeter of the actual pocket or the perimeter of the oversized backing? Do you have any recommendations on wetsuit makers/repair shops in the So. Cal. area that could attach the pockets if I don't feel up to the task?

I asked a general question about pockets in the DIR forum and someone mentioned something that I hadn't considered... Neoprene stretches... duh. So, do you mount the pockets with the neoprene stretched or relaxed? The suggestion was made to put the suit on, trace the pocket outline with chalk, then after removing the suit, re-stretch it until the lines line up before sewing/gluing. What do you think about that idea?

Sorry for all the questions... but if I'm gonna do it I want to do it right.

We do not include the adhesive. NcNett Seal Cement, Contact Cement, Aquaseal.

I don't prefer the Aquaseal on neoprene.

The best recommendation I can make is to purchase the airspeedpress book:

http://www.airspeedpress.com/divesuit.html
Worth every penny.

My method:

1. Put on your suit

2. Mark the outline of the pocket backing

3. Take off your suit

4. Cut a piece of card board to shove down the leg of the suit. Adjust the size of this cardboard until the marked outline again matches the outline of the pocket.

5. Mask suit beyond glue zone for a better looking result.

6. Apply adhesive as per the adhesive makers recommendations. Again I prefer to just glue the outer 1/2 of the oversized backing.

7. Position pocket and weight down.

8. If you feel the need sew, a little or a lot.

Tobin

Thanks, Tobin.

Seems like I read somewhere that a thorough surface prep is important for a good glue job... especially when mounting pockets to a NEW wetsuit. I believe Bob3 has suggested using Toluene for this as well as using it as a thinner for the glue. Would you agree with that or am I making this too complicated?

Sounds like you are saying that glueing alone is sufficient. I think I'll hold off on sewing.

When I wear a wetsuit down south..I use X-Shorts... Much easier than gluing a sewing...

Yeah, why hasn't another manufacturer picked up the idea of X-shorts? Seems like there's a market for them. Hint, Tobin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom