Teric users quick review?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like my teric. Charging really isn't an issue. We actually just bring a Qi charger with us and can charge cell phones as well as terics. I only use mine as a backup to my ccr primary. I rarely have to look at the teric. The screen is better than the teric, though my old predator still is the best screen of all. I do find the buttons slightly more annoying than the buttons on my petrel. I highly prefer the piezo buttons. Only other complaint is the screen is a little more packed with info than my petrel. I have adjusted it to give me max space, but I think it's mainly because I'm so accustomed to the petrel layout that the change over to a smaller screen isn't as easy of a transition for my brain. As I said, I rarely even look at it, so that's part of it as well.
I highly recommend the teric as either a primary computer for an OW diver, or as a nice small backup for tech diving.

I like the Teric and have had excellent battery life.

I've had an old ProPlus 2 for many years and upgraded to the latest model ProPlus X. At first it worked ok, but then failed after about 20 dives giving me 80 mins of deco at 10'! The dive profile was fine no-deco on 32% nitrox.

Needless to say I didn't trust it after that and returned it to my dealer who was kind enough to exchange it as defective for the Teric. I also learned that on long trips where I make 30-40 dives, I need to dive 2 computers to have some redundancy. So I've continued to dive my older ProPlus 2 which has always worked fine and kept me out of trouble.

On the first few dives with the Teric I noticed it was very conservative, and I thought I'd adjust the profile values, but as the trip went on, it started to match the PP2 more and more.

Jack

You didn't RTFM, did you?

You lost me, what is RTFM? All I know is my bottom time got down to about 4 minutes and yellow block was around my NDL, I know I didn't go into deco because I never have, so it was my assumption that it was being conservative since I got close to running out my NDL? It has happened 3 or 4 times

You lost me, what is RTFM? All I know is my bottom time got down to about 4 minutes and yellow block was around my NDL, I know I didn't go into deco because I never have, so it was my assumption that it was being conservative since I got close to running out my NDL? It has happened 3 or 4 times

T, most recreationally oriented dive computers, like Oceanics, have very aggressive settings out of the box. You can change this, usually, by using "a conservative factor" to increase conservatism (i.e., shorter bottom times). Being aimed a non-technical market, you usually have to read the manual to find out exactly how the computer is doing this (by pretending you are diving at a higher altitude is common and what the Oceanics do).

The Teric, having its roots in technical diving, comes with more conservative settings enabled but it allows you to adjust those. It uses what are called "gradient factors" to allow you to adjust the conservatism. For recreational diving, the only one that really matters is the second number, the GF High. There's a lot of information on this forum about what gradient factors are and how they work.

Really, really boiling it down (and only in a recreational context) the GF High number is what is going to define the amount of bottom time you get. Most recreational computers, being aggressive out of the box, equate to a GF High of something like 95, which is 95% of the surfacing pressure gradient allowed by the Buhlmann model being run by the computer. Your Teric probably comes preset at 80 or 85, which means it is being more conservative, keeping you at 85% of the theoretical limit rather than 95%. You can change that. Whether you should or not is up to you. Those limits are theoretical, not a guarantee you won't get bent and diving to 100% of the limit is generally not considered prudent.

There are plenty of good resources on what gradient factors are and how they work and learning about them is well worth the time investment. The Teric is a great computer and using gradient factors is helpful in taking advantage of its capabilities.

I, too, have an Oceanic computer in addition to my Shearwaters. I really just use the oceanic as a watch and/or bottom timer now, but sometimes I leave it in computer mode just for fun. I'm often into deco (planned) on the Shearwaters while my Oceanic gives me plenty of remaining NDL.

Read The F*****g Manual

Then learn about gradient factors

No thanks!!! I will let you read it while I dive :D I don't mind doing an extra 2 minutes, I am in no hurry and very lazy, like most good divers.

@IncreaseMyT

upload_2019-4-29_12-36-20.png

@scubadada I thought I had to leave it on the REC, since I am REC diving?

Or do I go in the REC tab and then change algo?

Edit: There is no place to change algo in REC mode. I just checked. Just when you are deco diving. It says options available in every dive mode, but don't know where to change it. Not very important to me, I liked the fact it gave me 2 more minutes. I got plenty of gas at the safety.

@scubadada I thought I had to leave it on the REC, since I am REC diving?

Or do I go in the REC tab and then change algo?
You can do no stop diving in either rec mode or tec mode. The rec mode is optimized for the information most often used in no stop diving. Leaving it in OC Rec mode, you have 3 preset GFs or can set custom GFs. The default setting is medium conservatism, GFs 40/85. See my post #8 regarding DSAT

Medium is perfect for me, I am not going to mess with it. For a lot of people getting the most bottom time is important. For me when diving on my own boat or friends boat, 10 minutes just doesn't matter to me. Cause if I want to stay down longer, I will just go up, eat a sandwich and have a coke, grab a new tank and drop again. Sometimes the spot is so good that day, we will burn 5 tanks at the same place.

Back
Top Bottom