Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishcack1977

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i know there’s been a lot of forum posts regarding this computer, but now some folks have used it for a few weeks/months what are people’s thoughts?

Firstly as a dive computer but also as a watch? As I would like to use it for a watch or is buying a Perdix ai and a watch a better option?

I live in the uk where it’s hard to get one currently but I’m sure I’ll be able to get One ready for the end of this dive season/ next years dive season

Thanks in advance

This isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, but here's my two cents on what I have.

I have the Perdix AI and a Garmin Descent. The Perdix is great, I like the layout and functionality of it a tad better than the Descent. The bigger screen is also very nice. But the Descent does everything that I want in a smart/sport watch AND functions as a technical dive computer.

I have used other Garmin watches for the past couple years for tracking my runs. It made sense for me when looking for a backup computer to go with the Garmin as an upgrade for my fenix 5. The heart rate and entry/exit GPS data is a nice addition on the dive function, but its the amount of other things it does that sold me.

I use the Garmin as my backup on technical dives and it has functioned great for multi-gas trimix dives. Only problem I've had is the altitude reading seems to be off, and I'm not sure if it automatically factors that into the dive algorithm. But I reset it manually, and depth was never more than a tenth of a meter off of the Perdix.

I feel very confident in the Descent, as it tracks side by side with my Perdix most of the time, but the Perdix gives me a good feeling when on my wrist. I think it's Shearwater's reputation for quality products/service along with the shear amount of products that have been tested in extreme conditions. I'm not saying the Garmin won't hold up, but I'll keep it as a backup to my Shearwater for now, as that works great for me.

The Teric looks great. I'm looking forward to reading the comments on here.

Hi this is exactly the sort of answer im looking for as these are the 2 big hitter computers around at the minute i'm looking for a watch and a dive computer all in one so i'm unsure of which to go for as i want it to continue my dive journey with me, I'm just completing my latest BSAC course which enables me to go to 50M so id like to move into more technical diving once i've finished. so it needs to grow with me rather than having to buy a new one soon

I currently use a suunto vyper so mine is now showing its age but can also be used as a backup until it dies thanks for the great response however

There are better options for a wrist watch than the Teric. As a dive computer it is great!

I am using descent for a few weeks now. I am happy with it as an everyday watch along with scuba and free diving. Lot of really cool features as mentioned before. I like the double tap feature when I am diving.
But altimeter is a pain. I am going to call garmin support for that.

I am using descent for a few weeks now. I am happy with it as an everyday watch along with scuba and free diving. Lot of really cool features as mentioned before. I like the double tap feature when I am diving.
But altimeter is a pain. I am going to call garmin support for that.

It absolutely is a pain. I would reset it manually while floating on the surface, then it would be off again a few hours later, even with the auto calibrate disabled. The double tap function is nice, except when the instructor pulls your mask and you have to make gas swaps for deco. If you're not on the right screen it will not make the swap while you blindly press buttons in the sequence you know.

It absolutely is a pain. I would reset it manually while floating on the surface, then it would be off again a few hours later, even with the auto calibrate disabled. The double tap function is nice, except when the instructor pulls your mask and you have to make gas swaps for deco. If you're not on the right screen it will not make the swap while you blindly press buttons in the sequence you know.

Agreed. I am wondering if there is a better way to navigate through these screens. I would request you to put the feature request on Garmin support forum. As they are new in the dive computer area, I guess they need some help from diver community to improve their product.
But don't know if they are following the forums though :-(

I disabled the double-tap feature after my first dive with the Descent as it would change screens when I didn't want it to. I've now done over 50 dives with the Descent and I don't miss the double-tap at all. Pressing the down button to access the compass is easy.

The Teric is on my wish list. A few people have them at my local dive club, more have the Perdix AI. I have never heard a bad word mentioned about their capability. In saying that, nows probably a good time to pickup a Perdix AI as people decide they need to upgrade haha.

Firstly as a dive computer but also as a watch? As I would like to use it for a watch or is buying a Perdix ai and a watch a better option?

I don't use the Teric as a watch but that's mainly to do with my watch selections. So, my main objective of buying the Teric was to have a robust compact AI computer that had the latest tech (Qi, charging, great screen etc). Price wise a used Perdix AI would be tempting, but the Teric was too tantalising and I had been hanging out for a descent AI computer for a while.

Here's my 2c / speculation; you're going to see some great new computers come out that will continue to up the quality ante - a new Oceanic VTX-like, a new Shearwater Perdix AI in a new name. Of course SW will use all the Teric advancements into a new box, big screen like current, smart layout, slightly larger fonts, slim design, prob more aimed at Tec, but something very appealing for all divers. Price wise it should be around Teric. (those used Perdix's won't drop too much!). Timing wise, I guess soon because they've done ?most? of the work already with the Teric, so watch out DEMA / end of year ... I'd bet $ on prior to end Q1'19.

So, if I had the time to wait for something new, I would walk into my LDS now and pay a deposit for a new SW box and agree to have an option to revert to the Teric, be first on their list, and watch the internet like a hawk so you ensure your shop places their dealer order to SW within the first few hours of release. I guess SW might alter their new release distribution and inventory build methods next new release because if you're in an unlucky timezone when it's announced ...

Enjoy the anticipation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom