Terrible headache after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could be a CO2 buildup. Once upon a time I made a dive and for some reason (mainly lack of knowledge) I skip-breathed for most of it. Got back to the villa, crashed on the bed with a killer headache and some serious exhaustion. By the next morning I was fine. In the end I learned a whole lot about why you should NEVER skip breathe or do anything that causes a CO2 buildup, thankfully without any lasting effects.

By the time we got to shore I was feeling pretty tired, but I thought it was the normal post-exericse feeling. I got home an hour later and developed within half an hour the worst headache I have ever experienced in my life... I had strange feelings in my ears - not pain, but defintiely a some amount of unbalance. I was also feeling extremely weak. These symtoms lasted for a few days.

As a cardiologist, I have seen lots of people have "the worst headache of their life" and it is almost never something good. If I had to guess, you may have developed a small subarachnoid hemmorhage that resolved on its own. I think you should go see a neurologist and if ANYONE ever experiences "the worst headache of their life", go to an ER and get your head scanned. You will probably never know what it was unless it was a small bleed and has some residual blood on the CT, but this resolves within a few days. The most worrisome thing that it might be would be a berry aneurysm in the circle of willis. Sometimes these will bleed like that prior to rupturing. I would ask the neurologist to do an MRA (magnetic resonnance angiography) on my head and make sure that you do not have this.

Did you have any nausea or vomitting with this?

TikTok:
IBy the time we got to shore I was feeling pretty tired, but I thought it was the normal post-exericse feeling. I got home an hour later and developed within half an hour the worst headache I have ever experienced in my life. I took loads of painkillers but they did absolutely nothing. I had no other symptoms apart from this. The next morning when I woke the headache was still partially there and I had strange feelings in my ears - not pain, but defintiely a some amount of unbalance. I was also feeling extremely weak. These symtoms lasted for a few days.

?

Are you serious? Here's some advice - next time go to the doctor!!! Wow - pain for days that isn't helped by pain meds, weakness for days, jeeze man, take care of yourself. It could be a combo of things going on, for anyone reading this - please seek medical attention if you have these symptoms!

Thanks everyone for your advice - my friends also kicked my butt when they realised I hadn't sought medical assistance. They (and you) are right - it was stupid not to. I am actually reevaluating my diving since as I said before, finding a doctor and a well equipped hospital in Tanzania is extremely hard. Having the problem made worse, or been given a false sense of security because the real cause of the problem is missed are very real possibilities...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom