Testing oral inflate as part of kit setup or buddy check ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What value does checking oral inflation add if you know the assembly dumps correctly? Is there a situation that the hole may work in one direction (dumping air from the bladder) but not in the other direction (orally inflating)?
You hit a nerve with that one.

Yes, correct. Works both ways. Problem is that in an emergency our brains don't free scroll though the entirety of our training.

Let's say one of your OOA divers makes it to the surface. Drop weights, orally inflate.

One of the events that most seriously affected TSandM was a diver who made it to the surface then drowned in her presence. I took a lesson from this, I never use the inflator on the surface. Orally inflate. Muscle memory.

---------- Post added September 20th, 2015 at 06:39 PM ----------

Memory fails me slightly. Not in her presence. Read this: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...iver-please-read-post4301964.html#post4301964

---------- Post added September 20th, 2015 at 07:31 PM ----------

I keep forgetting that the masses don't want a rigorous treatment or a long read anymore. All better now.

Sound bite: "She didn't drop weights or orally inflate her BC, because she was panic-stricken from having gone out of gas."

Post #10.

What value does checking oral inflation add if you know the assembly dumps correctly? Is there a situation that the hole may work in one direction (dumping air from the bladder) but not in the other direction (orally inflating)?

Yes. Last time I had my inflator serviced, they left out some oring and the effect is exactly what you describe. It would dump air, but when I tried to orally inflate it the air would go right through the end of the inflator (i.e. not into my BCD.) Fortunately I tested it at the store when I picked it up instead of waiting until I was in the ocean.

I think the biggest advantage to using oral inflation on a regular basis, for example as part of every pre-dive check, is that it makes you vastly more likely to remember "instinctively" that oral inflation is an option. Making any act familiar, even routine will hugely increase your chances of remembering what to do and be able to perform the task even with the "tunnel vision" created by stress.

Yes. Last time I had my inflator serviced, they left out some oring and the effect is exactly what you describe. It would dump air, but when I tried to orally inflate it the air would go right through the end of the inflator (i.e. not into my BCD.) Fortunately I tested it at the store when I picked it up instead of waiting until I was in the ocean.

what inflator are you using? Only thing I can think of is if they left an o-ring out of the power inflate mechanism..... in which case you need a new shop because the one you took it to is useless....

I really like Andy's suggestion of checking the oral inflate once you have put on your wing, to check hose routing and free movement as well as function. I always check the oral inflate but am doing it this way from now on.

Possible scenario (I have personally seen this one):
There is some debris inside of the dump valve button mechanism that prevents the valve from opening all the way.

If you only test dumping air, it will work (you will hear air coming out, and call it a day)
But if you try to orally inflate, it will take much more effort and it will fill at a much slower rate (you don't want this underwater during a dive)

Test both ways. No reason not to do it, and valid reasons to do it.

I'm going to disagree with this logic. It's an oring on a plunger and I don't ever envision debris getting caught between the tight tolerance to allow fast deflate but slow oral inflate.
I do see it happening the other way around if I purposely sabotage it; in that case oral inflate easy, deflate no go. I think wax paper or kelp would do the trick. :wink:

Having said that I somehow mix an oral inflate into my pre & post gear check/cleaning routine.
You gotta clear all the funk water out of the corrugate hose somehow.

bcd_inflator_current.jpg

I do know Air 2's are set up differently than Standard Inflators. Half press delfates but doesn't allow oral inflation. You have to do a full press for oral inflation.
I'll have to dig around for my manuals/blowups to see if there's some logic in the OP's for those.

I've never actually checked oral inflation prior to a dive, nor have I heard of or seen anyone else do it (until this thread). After a dive I dump out salt water then put fresh water with a dab of baby shampoo inside and swish it around. I've heard it's best to have some air in the BC when storing it for the next dive. So I wind up orally inflating it some at that time. I wouldn't think it would stop working while it's stored.

This is what I love about this forum - post a question and get loads of great input! I'm leaning towards including it as part of a buddy check (just 1 breath to check the hose is reachable and get the diver used to orally inflating as an option as has been suggested). I'm also thinking of adding a few more oral inflates to the OW course for this reason too - very sound thinking!

I do it but not as part of buddy check. I find out if everything works and practice is good. I even orally inflate my BCD underwater. Slow leaky valve on BCD once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom