The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well this is my first post here and since I came on for the tec stuff its funny I should be posting here but as a mate on a dive boat it seam appropriate to chime in. Tipping criteria depends on location and norms. Its comman place for the crew to do a lot on southern boats(florida to the caribbean) setting up gear to loading tanks and serving as guides. They should be tipped for this service since most every where mates are not payed. Rember if the mates wernt around who would be helping out around the boat who would be tieing in to the wreck or reef, who is tieing up the boat and cleaning it. In the north things a mates main concern is that no one dies. This diffrence is due to the difrence in water and dive conditions. Most mates in the north dont have time to switch your tanks because there helping people in or out of the water or keeping a lookout for problems. But any worth while mate will go out of there way to help in any way possable if requested. Most mates wont touch your gear because they dont want or need to be confrounted if something goes wrong but If you need help just ask. As far as walking off the boat and not leaving a tip thats just not right. It may only be 5 bucks but it all adds up, 5 per person is what we consider minim and 10 average for the NE. Basicly it boiles down to this: if your dive went well with out problems chances are the mates had some thing to do with it and if there were problems the mates will be or SHOULD be the first to offer to help. Sorry if I sound like Im ranting but I wanted to shed some light from the "other side"
Ron

DivePartner1 wrote...
To those inclined to think in terms of 10% or less, look at it this way: If you boss thought you worked less hard than you "could" on any given day, would it be fair for him/her not to pay youl? Should you get docked if you surf scubaboards with company equipment?
It's not the same thing. For basic day charters, I'm not employing the crew; the operator is.

If I request special services, then yes, a tip is definitely in order. Otherwise, no. After all, you wouldn't tip for takeout, would you?

salty once bubbled...
Its comman place for the crew to do a lot on southern boats(florida to the caribbean) setting up gear to loading tanks and serving as guides. They should be tipped for this service since most every where mates are not payed. .. . . . As far as walking off the boat and not leaving a tip thats just not right. It may only be 5 bucks but it all adds up, 5 per person is what we consider minim and 10 average for the NE. Basicly it boiles down to this: if your dive went well with out problems chances are the mates had some thing to do with it and if there were problems the mates will be or SHOULD be the first to offer to help. Sorry if I sound like Im ranting but I wanted to shed some light from the "other side"
Ron

I hear your pain. When I was young and foolish I lived on tips and the unconvincing rationalizations. Tipping is a social contract. If you can always find a reason not to tip, who would want to work with you? When I see a propective employee or vendor engage in this dialogue, I never see them again--after all, someone who would never tip would cheat my people just as fast.

More to the point I've been crewing (and running) boats for decades longer than some (many?) of you have been here, and I know the value that the crew adds. Crews find the wreck and dive to tie down the anchor or move to better viz. I know I'm getting value whether or not they touch my gear, and I know they're often paid on tips--which means no pay if they draw a chalk of divers with a small attitudes.

Diving may be like carry out, but only if you're shore diving.

DivePartner1 wrote...

I hear your pain. When I was young and foolish I lived on tips and the unconvincing rationalizations. Tipping is a social contract. If you can always find a reason not to tip, who would want to work with you? When I see a propective employee or vendor engage in this dialogue, I never see them again--after all, someone who would never tip would cheat my people just as fast.
Strawman argument; who said anything about never tipping?

FWIW, I'd never hire someone who pays for services never performed. The IRS seems to take a dim view of that practice, for some odd reason.

DivePartner1 wrote...
Diving may be like carry out, but only if you're shore diving.
I humbly disagree. If you want to use that analogy, then you should be tipping the cook, the dishwasher, and whomever delivers the food to the restaurant.

If I don't use the services, there's no point in paying for them. Finding the site or whatever is part of the service I'm paying the operator for.

Right. The IRS makes a distinction between tip income and whether the effort justifyied the tip that was paid? Kind of a wet strong man but this could be good news for the least productive of us.

Anyway, this thread has drifted off point. Those who tip have information on the range. For those who rationalize don't, nothing will change their minds.

DivePartner1 wrote...
Right. The IRS makes a distinction between tip income and whether the effort justifyied the tip that was paid?
'Twas you who first connecting tipping with hiring practices...

DivePartner1 wrote...
Anyway, this thread has drifted off point. Those who tip have information on the range. For those who rationalize don't, nothing will change their minds.
You might try logic...

Tipping seems to always be a contentious topic whether it's restaurants, barbershops/hair salons, or apparently diving ops. I have worked for tips to support myself - working as a waiter during college. It was certainly discouraging to work my tail off for a table and receive little in return. I became highly attuned to which "types" would tip what amounts (although that is off topic, and might lead one to ask if it became a self-fulfilling prophesy as my level of effort would begin to effect the results:)

Any-who - diving to me seems a rather unusual field in which to employ a tipping protocol. Perhaps it followed from other boat-based tourism - fishing charters for example, but considering the potential for injury or death involved in scuba I find it bothersome that tipping would be involved. The crew should not require monitary motivation to perform their duties in a manner providing the highest level of safety.

I also do not like being subtly (and often not so subtly) reminded to take care of the crew. It was a joy on my last trip to Australia to not have to open my wallet to every person that performed the slightest service for me. In many US tourist towns you begin to feel overwhelmed with everyone holding their hand out.

I guess my overall point is that in some cases tipping makes sense. I think waiters need that carrot on a stick to ensure you get what you want efficiently and correctly (I have seen restaurants within clubs with set tips and the service was deplorable). Barbers....well, it seems like they shouldn't need a tip to "try harder", but I will live with that one. Dive ops....looks like it's here to stay, but I would prefer to pay a higher amount to the captain for the trip so that he/she can pay a proper wage to the crew.

What's next? tipping doctors and nurses?

just my humble opinion......

The owner/operator said that 10% to the DM who distributes to the rest of the boat was fair. Any extra services, like the time I dropped my weight belt handing it up to the crew went to the driver/DM who got it for me. Everyone on the boat knew it was for the extra service as I gave it to him and said a loud gracias.

I am interested in hearing from divers as well as those in the dive industry. What do you typically leave as a tip for the dive staff? Im talking about day trips and land based operations,not liveaboards. Just ther dive staff,not houskeeping,cooks etc. I know the location and cost of living affects this...so Im looking for a good rule of thumb in places like Belize,Cosumel, United States and the Carribean. I understand and appreciate the importance and professionalism of a good dive staff. I am aslso reluctant to leave any gratuites to inferior service. thanks for any input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom