The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman wrote...

I'll bet those DMs are as happy to see Genesis
come aboard as the LDSs are to see him walk
in!!!:eek:
:confused:

$5.00/tank for doing nothing more than giving a hand with fins, cutting a piece of fruit, and leaving his gear alone? Why not?

On dayboats where I carry the tanks, set up my gear (always), and reboard unassisted, what's to tip for? Paying them not to touch my gear and to leave me alone?

metridium once bubbled...
:confused:

$5.00/tank for doing nothing more than giving a hand with fins, cutting a piece of fruit, and leaving his gear alone? Why not?

On dayboats where I carry the tanks, set up my gear (always), and reboard unassisted, what's to tip for? Paying them not to touch my gear and to leave me alone?

Catch some of the Genesis previous opinions and you'll see why $5.00 is a deal to leave his gear alone. If I could DM on a boat Genesis was on, I try to help him so much he'd give me $20.00 to leave him alone.

I'll usually tip according to the service I'm given and assistance if I need it. I've been on a boats that the ONLY "service or assistance" rendered was a "be careful" before we got off. Just imagine what their tip was. My other half insist that I should tip because they are there to help if I get into trouble. Bull, if I get into trouble and they bail me out what I'll pass on to the DM wouldn't classify as a tip. I'd probably have do state and federal withholding on it.

I usually tip about the same as everyone else but I tip very well for DM's that go out of their way to let you know they that are there if you want/need them without pushing themselves on you to much.

Example: Best DM I have ever had was in Grand Cayman in 1995 during Cayman Madness. We had the same DM on almost every dive that week. His name was Gordon from Australia. This guy was a hoot. All week long he went out of his way not only to help on the boat if needed but on land also and he told the funniest jokes and was an all around nice guy. He even took three of us on a private tour on one boat dive to try and find a jewelfish he had seen in a cave before and meet up with some of us early in the morning on one of our off mornings to go snorkeling with us. Anyway, he received a fat tip at the end of the week let me tell you. If all DM's were like that I'd have no problem relieving myself of more money.

Im going to Cozumel and have signed up
for 5 days of 2 tank dives with Papa Hogs.

1] Is $10 a day ok for a tip?

2] When diving everyday with the
same operator do you tip every day
or at the end of the 5 days?:confused:

Lawman once bubbled...
Im going to Cozumel and have signed up
for 5 days of 2 tank dives with Papa Hogs.

1] Is $10 a day ok for a tip?

2] When diving everyday with the
same operator do you tip every day
or at the end of the 5 days?:confused:
There once was a lawyer from Clare ............. oh wait ........wrong thread.

FYI my standard is 5 bucks a dive or more for really good service so ten bucks a two tank is fine IMO.

I'm not familiar with PapaHogs but we try to get the same Dm and crew so we can tip once at the end of the week. Some places have a tip jar that all crew split at the end of the week. It varies, ask at the shop on the first day what they recommend.

See you there:)

Dont tip people on the boat or waitresses or people who wash your car......its THEIR job and they get paid for it.

When I fix someones computer at work I dont expect to be slipped a 5 dollar bill because I did a good job. FUNK THAT!!!

Save your money and pump it into PADI.

their

jepuskar once bubbled...

When I fix someones computer at work I dont expect to be slipped a 5 dollar bill because I did a good job. FUNK THAT!!!
Hey i always tip the office computer guy, things like:

Remember to pay your taxes on time

Bend your knees when you ski

Don't forget to breathe

Dude, windows sucks

Etc - etc - etc ....

gedunk once bubbled...

[snip]

Dude, windows sucks

That is not a tip, that is a statement of fact. A tip would be something along the lines of:

"For better workstation performance, upgrade to Linux."

but the computer guy would already know this, of course! :wink:

Jimmie

We are leaving for Coz in a week and we paid for everything at the hotel including breakfast but no other meals as we like to go into town and eat at different restaurants. Now when I say we paid for everything with our package that included the maids tip and bell hops tip etc and it is written on our itenery. My question is to anyone who has had this sort of package.. is even though the maid and bellhops waiters/waitresses are pretipped, do they know or not and expect to get tipped directly? We ALWAYS tip but have never had this kind of package and I don't want to offend any of the service staff at the hotel if they don't know they have been pretipped.

Just back from Coz - wish I was still there!!!!! - +25C not -25C like here in the great white north.

My room mate and I both tipped our waiter at the end of the week - he made sure our coffee was caliente every day and went out of his way to be of service! However, our package was all inclusive and that means tips, too. We haven't added any more for tips to maids and we didn't use bell hops. In restaurants, good service deserves 15 - 20% - just like back home.

Enjoy Cozumel!!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom