The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In our experiences it's been varied. When on a dive trip to, say Cozumel for instance, we'll tip the boat Capt. as we leave the boat each day if we aren't keeping the same Capt. for the duration of our trip. If we are, we'll tip them on our last dive for the whole trip. We've been using the same people for several years and this works well for both sides. Never been asked for a tip.

When I've been on a charter with a large group, we take up a collection from all the divers and give it to the Capt. at the end of the trip. Never been asked for a tip.

The only liveaboards I've been on have been the Sea Searcher and the Rinn boats for 2-3 days trips. They put a tip jar out the last day but I've never heard them make any mention of it, it just appears on the counter in the salon.

The quickest way to NOT get a tip out of me is to make me feel like I HAVE to leave one...whether it's a dive boat or a restaurant. Certain basic service is expected and if the 'server' thinks I'm gonna make up the deficiency in his/her salary with a tip, he/she needs to take his salary base up with his boss. But if he/she provides friendly service beyond what is expected I tip generously. We work hard for our money and do not give it away just because it's expected...it has to be earned.

OK...rant about tipping over! :wink:

In Egypt, tipping is expected for everything. It is called Baksheesh. It annoyed the living hell out of me.

On the liveaboards I ran, the crew were phenomenal (as far as Egyptian crews went) So the tip was a foregone conclusion. But there were some boats that if the tip was not enough, they would sack the European diveguide (Or at least make it uncomfortable for them)

Some Liveaboards ask for the tip up front, when the diveguide is doing the breifing.
It really annoys me. The tipping system is garbage.
The dayboats in the UK never ask for a tip. Normally, when you find one that you like, you normally stick to them and they know you.

You bring along your own breakfast and they let you use the galley to cook it. so in return you make them breakfast as well. Bacon sarnies and a cup of tea.

Swings and roundabouts

I've been on several dive boats in Southern California, and never once been asked for a tip or had the tip jar pointed out. A jar usually does appear in the saloon on the way back to port, but I've never once heard anybody talk about it (including the passengers, except occasionally to whisper "How much is appropriate?")

Answer for me to that question is 10% for good service, less or no tip for poor or no service. Tips are generally shared equally among captain and crew members, although that varies and we passengers would never really know...

On Taka II liveaboard on the GBR, there was no tip jar and no solicitation at the end of a well-serviced five-day trip. On that trip we tipped 10% of total cost not including optional beverages. I also tipped my AOW instructor an extra US$25 for his excellent instruction. Not required, but I think he went way beyond what I've heard others get in similar lessons.

I'm going to be the spoiler here. I haven't been on a dive boat that the crew didn't ask for a tip. Every one that I have been on has mentioned that the tip jar is out. The areas that I have done boat dives is Monterey and Puerto Vallarta. In P/V I gave the DM a tip = to @ $5.00 US. He made my trip a success. I was going to have to dive with the O/W class until he found out that I didn't have a dive buddy. He said that he would dive with me after he took care of his duties. Because of him I am going to end up on the Discovery Channel in the near future. I'll post something about it when I find out more. After the dive was over, I gave the DM the tip and he put it into the tip jar for the entire crew to share. Anyhow, I think it is tacky to ask for a tip. A tip is something extra that is earned. Waitresses don't ask for a tip, the gardner doesn't ask for one. The drycleaners doesn't ask for one either. There are so many professions that can recieve tips for simply doing their job, but like I said, the dive boats that I have been on have consistently asked for them. I wonder what the service would have been like if there was no tip jar to put out? Maybe the Capt. should pay the crew a few buck more and not "ask" for tips.

Sorry to hear you are constantly solicited. In SoCal, I've been out on Magician, Sundiver, Prince Neptune and King Neptune with no tip requests. Also have dove from boats in Culebra and Fajardo, Puerto Rico and Australia with no tip requests. My luck is holding!

I like your idea to tip ahead of time ... it's a risk but if you suspect poor service ahead could give you an advantage. When hosting special dinners in restaurants, I always tip ahead ... "tip early and tip often" -- usually giving both the waiter and maitre'd an "advance on the tip I am certain they will earn for their exceptional service," with an explanation of why the evening is important to me. I frequently follow up with a mid-meal tip -- out of sight of my table -- to keep things rolling. This approach almost always yields free desserts and often an extra bottle of wine on the house...

Might be one approach to ensuring an excellent dive boat experience... "TEAO"

DSAO

AS WITH ANY SERVICE PROVIDED TIP AND AMOUNT OF TIP IS OPTIONAL. ALTHOUGH KEEP IN MIND THAT IN THE MAJORITY OF DIVE LOCALES BOAT CAPT.'S AND DIVE CREW ARE FOR THE MOST PART UNDERPAID AND OVERWORKED SO TIPS ACCOUNT FOR A GOOD PORTION OF THEIR PAY. TIP ACCORDING TO THE EXTENT OF THE SERVICE THEY PROVIDE, AFTER ALL THEY CAN MAKE OR BREAK A DIVE, BUT THEY ALWAYS DESERVE SOMETHING EVEN IF THE SERVICE PROVIDED WAS POOR.

I'm against the idea of tipping ahead of time. If you suspect poor service, then why would you tip? It seems to me like bribing them to get decent service. I say let them earn their tip. I don't think you should to expect to have to tip them to get the service they have been payed to give. At my job, my boss doesn't pay me up front and then hope I'll earn it. In general, I tip well as long as they earn it. When I went to Ambergris Caye, the staff made no mention of tipping. I kind of wondered about how much to give, me being new to chartered dives and all. I tipped the captain $20 and the DM $20 which, if I now add it up and divide against the cost of all the dives, comes out to about 10% so I guess I was in the correct range.

In many boats the deckhand/DM is an unpaid crewman who's *only* compensation is in tips.
This varies widely all 'round the world, but is the norm in Florida.
Rick

I too, have never been on a boat (day charter or live aboard) and wasn't encouraged to tip. Tipping is a form of reward for the service given, in my opinion. Whether it's dinner or diving, I will tip how I see fit. If I get excellent service, my tip reflects it. Also, I believe that you should tip whom you want. On the live aboards I've been on the "custom" is to tip the Captain and let him/her divvy it among the crew. Instead, I've given individual tips in an envelope to each crewmember based on the service received. Personally, I think you should tip whom & when you feel it's deserved.

I've been on 2 dive boats (Subtropic in Key West and West End in Barbados) that specifically mentioned that a tip would be nice, IF we felt the service was good.

I was on another boat (Red Sail in Aruba) where tipping was not specifically mentioned, but the tip jar was prominently mounted so that everyone could see it.

I tipped on all 3 occasions, not because I felt like I was pressured, but because all 3 crews did an excellent job of making my dive pleasurable. I would have no problem not tipping if the service/enjoyment was not there.

I agree with the postings that say that salaries of DMs/boat crews should be sufficient so that they don't have to go begging, but that does not appear to be the way the world works. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom