The Aqualung Discussion [ Moved ]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Yeah, and who needs Titan regs when we have ScubaPro, right?

Anyone want a good deal on a Titan first stage? Used a few times on my pony, now retired.

Scubapro's policies are every bit as restrictive as Aqua Lung's. Both will probably change eventually, as the companies which allow internet sales begin to "pinch".

fire_diver:
You people are either too literal, or not enough. If you "fall on you face", are you dead? Are in the hospital on life support? No. You are bruised and embarrased. THAT is the only thing that EVER makes a company change their business practices. They either recieve a noticable drop in sales to see that people are not happy with them as a whole company, OR they must recieve a reprimand/fines from the courts.

FD

True. and the later could definitely apply if the FTC believes that they are indeed price fixing. It sure looks like they are.

keyshunter:
Scubapro's policies are every bit as restrictive as Aqua Lung's. Both will probably change eventually, as the companies which allow internet sales begin to "pinch".

They already allow internet sales.... through Leisurepro. And with this unathorized dealer distribution channel (which probably moves more product than their authorized dealers) they also receive the benefit of not having to pay for warranty costs (same revenue to them w/ lower costs from not having to service warranties = more profit).

Again, the problem is that they are dictating what price and what distribution channels the LDS authorized dealers are allowed to use. In doing so they are limiting fair competition and for the LDS to act competitively within the free market system.

All the while still making their profits from the sales to the LDS and LeisurePro.

DandyDon:
Yeah, and who needs Titan regs when we have ScubaPro, right?

Anyone want a good deal on a Titan first stage? Used a few times on my pony, now retired.

I would be interested except for the fact that anything I buy over the internet wil KILL me...

I believe AL is the international distributor for Suunto's Diving computers.

yap. Al's sparepart r everywhere (i think) that's y i still keep pn buying their products cause it's reliable and never failed me.

If I didn't like their products so much I would not buy them anymore. I CAN'T STAND CORPORATE BS LIKE THIS! In fact, when I'm in the market again I'll search really hard for a comparible product. I'm no one special (at least in their eyes) but now as a Divemaster I'll make sure I speak the truth about this BS whenever I rub elbows with anyone in the local industry. I work for a large computer company (not by choice, was outsourced, sold like cattle to them) and I get the brunt of the same type of corporate bullying all day long. No raises, forced overtime and constantly reminded of "how lucky I am to still have a job". I'm forced to work in a hostile environment at times and it really sucks. This is the same kinda crap. Big corps throwing their weight around. It's all about greed, power and control. I hope they get what's coming to them.

I keep reading posts that manufacturers will not offer warranties on products bought through unauthorized online retailers.

A. -a few posters seem to think that the manufacturers make money on selling to unauthorized dealers because they do not offer warranties.

I don't think this is true. I have NEVER had a product returned that was sent in for a problem or defect and told that since it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer then they can not honor the warranty. I have sent in stuff for people with or without serial numbers, blantantly told it was from Leisure Pro and warranties were honored.

I did this as a service for my customer and you know what, they came back to me for their next purchase. They got their product serviced, they found out I also match or beat LP prices AND I did not chastise them for buying online.

My philosophy is to take care of the customer first. If I am dealing with a supplier that does not believe that also then I take my business elsewhere.

Debraw:
I keep reading posts that manufacturers will not offer warranties on products bought through unauthorized online retailers.

A. -a few posters seem to think that the manufacturers make money on selling to unauthorized dealers because they do not offer warranties.

I don't think this is true. I have NEVER had a product returned that was sent in for a problem or defect and told that since it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer then they can not honor the warranty. I have sent in stuff for people with or without serial numbers, blantantly told it was from Leisure Pro and warranties were honored.

I did this as a service for my customer and you know what, they came back to me for their next purchase. They got their product serviced, they found out I also match or beat LP prices AND I did not chastise them for buying online.

My philosophy is to take care of the customer first. If I am dealing with a supplier that does not believe that also then I take my business elsewhere.
You have a winning attitude, one that will leave the others in the dust. :thumb:

hdtran:
Suunto does not belong to Aqualung; however, Aqualung is the authorized importer/distributor of Suunto diving products into the US.

Has anyone thought to contact Suunto and Apeks directly and let them know about this situation? That by association with Aqualung they are likely to lose business. If AL won't listen to us maybe they will listen to another company.

Some other questions. Why is it that AL only price fixes in certain countries and not others? How by any stretch of the imagination can they try and convince the public that this is to help the LDS's (keeping competition even). By this reasoning AL is saying that they want to help the LDS's in the US (where prices are fixed) but not the LDS's in other countries i.e. Spain (where they do not fix prices).

Back
Top Bottom