The Best Dive Computer on the Market? Defining the benefits in the real world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And not all use multiple mixtures or do deco dives. For a shop doing only recreational diving at limited depth and using just air or Nitrox, a simple, basic computer is probably more appealing than a very powerful one...

Oh Angelo...... I salute you for being sensible! 95% of divers don't do tech (and don't pretend they do tech on the internet either), and in which case a basic nitrox dive computer is fine. I'll usually advocate that the best dive computer for any individual is the one that has the features they need, and (more importantly) is at a price they can afford. If it doesn't meet your needs, or is more than you can afford then it can not be the best for you.

At the time I bought mine, the overriding view from the diving press about the Teric was "Why? Its only a mini Perdix" and although it is a great looking, manly watch it doesn't have the feature set of something like the Garmin. Therefore if you're looking for some smart watch features in your next dive computer purchase (if they're important to you) then a product which does not have them (and does not meet your needs) can not be "best"

So the questioned posed was ... the best...the discussion was you don’t need the best. Maybe change the title to “why you don’t need the “best” dive gear” granted they will all do the job but I’m very happy to have one of the “better” ones available.

Actually the question was "Is there a best one?", and the clear answer is No. As who defines what is "best"? Since it is a subjective assessment its clearly got to be down to your personal choices of what features, colours, fit etc meet your requirements. The one that best meets your requirements, must therefore be the best, but since my requirements are different to yours, then my best will also likely be different to yours - this isn't Top Trumps!

It depends on who's attaching the label.
I'm saying that "best" is misused a lot.

Like most of the stuff in the world there is no silver bullet.

In the cycling world there is a saying by Keith Bontrager, a genius designer and manufacturer: "Cheap, light, strong, pick any two"

Teric/Perdix is the best computer if you don't have a budget limit, but at the current price, it's the most expensive dive computer and most of the people are never going to use it to it's full potential.

I've seen so many people state the same claim you make - The Perdix/Teric is the best computer.... Why is it? Now don't get me wrong, they are great tools, and shearwater have done a great job making and marketing them, but what are the criteria they're being objectively measured against? Or is it a collective subjective opinion?

Teric/Perdix is the best computer if you don't have a budget limit, but at the current price, it's the most expensive dive computer and most of the people are never going to use it to it's full potential.

Who gives a flying fig if people don't use Shearwaters to full potential?

I have the Perdix AI. It's simple to use. The Geo 2.0 I started diving with had a manual that was a hot mess, and the computer was not intuitive to use. Perdix also has big colorful screen. Easy to see. Much better than the black on gray of the Geo. I prefer popping in a readily available AA battery when needed rather than one of the button batteries the Geo takes. I'm OK with a built in rechargeable battery on my Apple watch, but not on a dive computer.

It's a shame you have to pay a lot to get a simple to use, easy to read computer, but it is what it is. I know plenty of recreational divers who will probably never go tech who have Shearwaters.

It depends on who's attaching the label.
I'm saying that "best" is misused a lot.

Like most of the stuff in the world there is no silver bullet.

In the cycling world there is a saying by Keith Bontrager, a genius designer and manufacturer: "Cheap, light, strong, pick any two"

You may be right but its really semantics, the cost difference is really not that great in the overall aspect of dive gear since the gear serves a long time
Actually the question was "Is there a best one?", and the clear answer is No. As who defines what is "best"? Since it is a subjective assessment its clearly got to be down to your personal choices of what features, colours, fit etc meet your requirements. The one that best meets your requirements, must therefore be the best, but since my requirements are different to yours, then my best will also likely be different to yours - this isn't Top Trumps!
you may wish to re-read the title
“The Best Dive Computer on the Market?”
Words have meaning (I don’t know why copying the title changed my font but at least I got rid of the bold text) perhaps substitute “the” with “is there a”

Who gives a flying fig if people don't use Shearwaters to full potential?

I have the Perdix AI. It's simple to use. The Geo 2.0 I started diving with had a manual that was a hot mess, and the computer was not intuitive to use. Perdix also has big colorful screen. Easy to see. Much better than the black on gray of the Geo. I prefer popping in a readily available AA battery when needed rather than one of the button batteries the Geo takes. I'm OK with a built in rechargeable battery on my Apple watch, but not on a dive computer.

It's a shame you have to pay a lot to get a simple to use, easy to read computer, but it is what it is. I know plenty of recreational divers who will probably never go tech who have Shearwaters.

We all don't take one think here into consideration.
We are pretty much regular divers here, and we tend to dive frequently and it's out past time.

The thing is, the tech in diving is old and overpriced. As you said, it's easy for the manufacturers to have a easy to read, and legible computer with AI. And in most of the time if it's given, no one is using it. Like Aqualung 770. It pretty much covers all of the bases. But Perdix is more reliable/better supported and such. And for you it's the best computer for your needs, no matter that you will never do trimix or such. I was thinking of more people just started diving and after their 3rd or 4th dive, they get kitted like an army forgman, and then a year later, there are nice ads in the confidentials for a "lightly used gear set" :D

I've seen so many people state the same claim you make - The Perdix/Teric is the best computer.... Why is it? Now don't get me wrong, they are great tools, and shearwater have done a great job making and marketing them, but what are the criteria they're being objectively measured against? Or is it a collective subjective opinion?

You misread my point, but here it goes. It's the best since most people are using it, from the pool of high end expensive computers. Since it has most of the users, it has most "testing in production" users which will help iron out the problems. Ending up being the most polished firmware which is what matters here.

As for is it for everyone, it's not. It's not for me for instance. It's way to expensive and costs way to much for me to have and own and service one. so it's not the "best" for me. the best was my leonardno that I got a year ago for 130eur new, and it's gotten me though 50ish dives untill I decided that I need something more, and I'm taking diving more serious, and now the best is the OSTC Sport I've ordered sicnce they give support where I live, and it's half the price of the Teric, so I can spend the extra 500eur on traveling

We are pretty much regular divers here, and we tend to dive frequently and it's out past time.

The thing is, the tech in diving is old and overpriced. As you said, it's easy for the manufacturers to have a easy to read, and legible computer with AI. And in most of the time if it's given, no one is using it. Like Aqualung 770. It pretty much covers all of the bases. But Perdix is more reliable/better supported and such. And for you it's the best computer for your needs, no matter that you will never do trimix or such. I was thinking of more people just started diving and after their 3rd or 4th dive, they get kitted like an army forgman, and then a year later, there are nice ads in the confidentials for a "lightly used gear set" :D

You misread my point, but here it goes. It's the best since most people are using it, from the pool of high end expensive computers. Since it has most of the users, it has most "testing in production" users which will help iron out the problems. Ending up being the most polished firmware which is what matters here.

As for is it for everyone, it's not. It's not for me for instance. It's way to expensive and costs way to much for me to have and own and service one. so it's not the "best" for me. the best was my leonardno that I got a year ago for 130eur new, and it's gotten me though 50ish dives untill I decided that I need something more, and I'm taking diving more serious, and now the best is the OSTC Sport I've ordered sicnce they give support where I live, and it's half the price of the Teric, so I can spend the extra 500eur on traveling
You don’t need a computer at all, you can buy a Casio watch that will do great at normal depth for $30, some waterproof tables and you’re set, I will keep using the Teric.

Nah man, sun dials, egg times and liquid pressure gauges is where it's at.

The thing is, the tech in diving is old and overpriced. As you said, it's easy for the manufacturers to have a easy to read, and legible computer with AI. And in most of the time if it's given, no one is using it. Like Aqualung 770. It pretty much covers all of the bases. But Perdix is more reliable/better supported and such. And for you it's the best computer for your needs, no matter that you will never do trimix or such.

Actually I will be doing trimix (helitrox, actually) later this year. I'm in the midst of my Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures/Helitrox class right now. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom