The Best Dive Computer on the Market? Defining the benefits in the real world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary_Ward

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
New and inexperienced divers often ask the question 'Which is the best dive computer' or more importantly 'Which one should I get?', and that's understandable as there is a massive amount of choice and a very big difference in price too. Here, Jon and Andre have a discussion about the primary purpose of a dive computer and review the ones that we choose to use at the dive shop

And not all use multiple mixtures or do deco dives. For a shop doing only recreational diving at limited depth and using just air or Nitrox, a simple, basic computer is probably more appealing than a very powerful one...
Agreed, I'm more than content with my Leonardo as an recreational computer, and never needed anything more.

I'm getting an OSTC just because I wanna start more technical training and do more night dives, and my eyesight is terrible at close range.

And 90% of divers are going to be fine with a Leonardo, and will never need anything more than that.

So the questioned posed was ... the best...the discussion was you don’t need the best. Maybe change the title to “why you don’t need the “best” dive gear” granted they will all do the job but I’m very happy to have one of the “better” ones available.

In organizational sciences there is a term of an "optimal" solution.

Optimal is a nice word, much better than best. Best indicates that it's perfect for anything, and it's covers all of the bases.

Optimal is much better, since it's contextual.

:)

In organizational sciences there is a term of an "optimal" solution.

Optimal is a nice word, much better than best. Best indicates that it's perfect for anything, and it's covers all of the bases.

Optimal is much better, since it's contextual.

:)
Optimal is a better word yet I believe it leads to the same place.

The best dive computer is the one you have and it should be the one that will keep you alive. Personally I LOVE my Petrel 2. Couldn't have asked for a better dc.

It depends on who's attaching the label.
I'm saying that "best" is misused a lot.

Like most of the stuff in the world there is no silver bullet.

In the cycling world there is a saying by Keith Bontrager, a genius designer and manufacturer: "Cheap, light, strong, pick any two"

Teric/Perdix is the best computer if you don't have a budget limit, but at the current price, it's the most expensive dive computer and most of the people are never going to use it to it's full potential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom