The Best Dive Computer on the Market? Defining the benefits in the real world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can be a chore even acknowleging the limitations of a single button operation - I sometime question whatt the designers were thinking with their choice. Obviously made sense to them at a desk. In the real world...

It's likely cost and something they were forced to work around, but sometimes it's "simplicity", i.e. one button mice on Macs or one button on older iPhones.

It's likely cost and something they were forced to work around, but sometimes it's "simplicity", i.e. one button mice on Macs or one button on older iPhones.

have no issue with single button operation apart from its not my preference

My issues is that often the sub menus etc have no apparent logic. Changing something like Nx % or basic dive settings shouldn't be difficult, often it is frustratingly so.

I get that other settings (like conservatism) might require some reference to the user manual to find them, in the hope the user might read the statements and understand the implications of their choices

Oh and SW in Rec mode is just as guilty, applying an artificial MOD limitation of 40m to all gasses (that exceed 40m MOD) and adjusting that setting requires a deep delve into Adv settings. Even then it applies 50m max. Even Suunto doesn't do that. And no, I don't want to use the Tech mode screen because it's too cluttered

(perdix data view customisation is pants)

I think there are a lot that was ignored in the presentation. major factors like firmware updatable. linking methods bluetooth or dongle with its costs. mostly important to me is the ease or intuitiveness of he menu system. If you cant find your way through the menu you are a proud owner of a gadget that can tell no no more than what you can see on the screen, and if you dont have a manual,,,,, forget about changing to 32% or set conservitiveness and other settings such as fresh or salt water. Ill say it... My shearwater is the first computer I have owned that I don't have to carry a manual around with me to change to nitrox and back. Or how to make a link to get a firmware upgrade. The more buttons you have the more complicated it is,,,,, To do the press button 3 and hold for 3-5 seconds and then you have 10 seconds to make you config edit before returning to the default screen. Yes computers like shearwater is high end but it was made to be used with gloves on in any environment, unlike so many others are. If you ignore the tech aspect of the shearwater and view it from the aspect oof ease to use,,, there is still plenty to make it the better choice to buy. sooner or later you will find that the 200 dollar puters just don't hack it. and if you cant update it then in 5 years it is 5 years behind the competition. for instance::::::: is there any reason that GF info should not be available to all divers if they want to see it. Its only a matter of being able to display it because the computer has that info. My qualifications for a puter is that it meets or exceeds your current diving. it has a logical menu system,,, it has a large readable screen for those that do not have perfect eye site, has controls that you can operate with thick gloves. after those items are met then I look at the programming and algorythm's to narrow the choice to one unit. I USED AERIS computers for years and needed a manual to do a gas change or connect to he aeris computer app to do an upgrade If I could remember where I put the 100 dollar special dongle for that computer. A computer needs to be ready for you when you grow to needing more of what it can do for you. My biggest mistake ever was to buy what the shop was selling.

... the cost difference is really not that great in the overall aspect of dive gear since the gear serves a long time ...

Must be nice to be "independently well off"

It depends on who's attaching the label.
I'm saying that "best" is misused a lot.

Like most of the stuff in the world there is no silver bullet.

In the cycling world there is a saying by Keith Bontrager, a genius designer and manufacturer: "Cheap, light, strong, pick any two"

Teric/Perdix is the best computer if you don't have a budget limit, but at the current price, it's the most expensive dive computer and most of the people are never going to use it to it's full potential.
You may be right but its really semantics, the cost difference is really not that great in the overall aspect of dive gear since the gear serves a long time.
Must be nice to be "independently well off"
im independently poor

You may be right but its really semantics, the cost difference is really not that great in the overall aspect of dive gear since the gear serves a long time.

im independently poor

But it its.

A nice divig trip costs around 500-600€ here in europe.

A set of XTX50s costs 500€.

And a difference of 500€ will get you a long way.

And a 500€ vs 1000€ vs 200€ will last the same.

Maybe it's my job of an optimizations engineer has scarred me for life, but I tend to over analyze the cost/benefits of everything. :D

The thing they left out is dive conditions. Up here the small watch ones aren't very good as with our limited VIS often I have a hard time seeing even my perdix, imagine trying to read a tiny one.

Who gives a flying fig if people don't use Shearwaters to full potential?

I have the Perdix AI. It's simple to use. The Geo 2.0 I started diving with had a manual that was a hot mess, and the computer was not intuitive to use. Perdix also has big colorful screen. Easy to see. Much better than the black on gray of the Geo. I prefer popping in a readily available AA battery when needed rather than one of the button batteries the Geo takes. I'm OK with a built in rechargeable battery on my Apple watch, but not on a dive computer.

It's a shame you have to pay a lot to get a simple to use, easy to read computer, but it is what it is. I know plenty of recreational divers who will probably never go tech who have Shearwaters.

Shearwater folks are pretty smart.
Easy to use - just like an IPhone
Easy to see​

Added a rec mode and AI and their market exploded
My speculation is that the majority of SW computers sold stay in rec mode with no alternations to settings
Want more - its easy to access​

More important the SW became the computer to have - cool kids on the boat

Reliability / Durability
Buildt like brick ...
Resale Value
The best in the industry
Customer Service
The best in the industry​

Well, to be fair, I haven't tried every other dive computer. The reason I think that Shearwater is awesome and worth it for any diver if you can afford it has nothing to do with their technical diving capabilities.

1) Build like a tank. VERY reliable gear, and I have used and abused a few.

2) Incredibly readable screen (admittedly many other brands have this, but Shearwater stands out).

3) User replaceable AA battery (not the Teric, obviously). This has saved me on many occasions. You can get a AA battery anywhere in the world, and you can replace it easily on a bouncing wet dive boat.

4) Great user interface (I hate those one button computers).

5) Will grow with you. Yes, if you will never do tech, this isn't important, but it also means that Shearwaters really hold their value for resale in the future - you can sell it to any diver.

6) Very reliable download system (I struggled with Suunto cables for years).

7) Great information on their website (you don't need to buy one to get this). So many terrific articles about diving physiology, etc...

8) The most important one. The company provides AMAZING customer support. Whether you need to send it in or just need help trouble shooting something, they are there for you. Knowledgeable, available and helpful. I have on two occasions emailed in a question on a Sunday night and gotten a response within less than a half an hour.

Nuff said.

I can't add anything else except to prove their points. My wife and I have bought 6 computers between us. Perdix AI is the first truly user friendly computer that we have owned. I am a former mechanic. Battery changes are a snap with Perdix. Not so with the others. Perdix AI was worth every penny we paid for it.

In our part of the world, customer service is the best. I realize that on the other side of the world, access to service is a problem.

Words "best" and "perfect" are highly subjective terms. Your mileage may very.

cheers,
m²V2

th.jpeg-2.jpg

Pros; Easy to read, user changeable battery, ability to conduct decompression dives, lasts a long time, inexpensive.
Cons; no multiple gasses, not color, not downloadable, hasn't been made in 30 years

Back
Top Bottom