The big question about ccr… which one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I think any one of those aforementioned would be a good choice.

How does your instructor rate in those circles?

What other experience does the instructor have?

How much continuing education can they provide on any of the units?

What was the big difference with the BMoptima and CMoptima for you? I’m not sure how the

Have you ever needed to crawl out of the surf on your hands and knees while using your chest-mounted Choptima? Have you ever wished your chest was clear of the rebreather (e.g., when handling a large camera/videocamera rig, or when hunting with a speargun, or when surveying for U/W archaeology, etc.)?

I wonder how a chest-mounted rebreather performs in these types of situations.

rx7diver
No to crawling in the surf, but I will be honest in that when diving it I don't feel like it gets in the way at all. The only time it's really intrusive to me is when I'm donning my fins on shore entries, but there's any easy fix for that. You just unclip one side of the unit and let it swing to the side that still clipped. Now your front is clear to bend over and strap on the fins.

Have you ever needed to crawl out of the surf on your hands and knees while using your chest-mounted Choptima?

I wonder how a chest-mounted rebreather performs in these types of situations.

rx7diver

Yes, I’ve done the Monestary Crawl with mine; what do I win?

If you’re not familiar with the aforementioned , YouTube it. Monestary is likely the steepest beach entry in California.

@rx7diver , do you own a Chop?

So my buddy and I are interested into CCR. Our local instructors can teach, the liberty optima jjccr or the Xccr.

we spoke to both the instructor and none can tell which one is the better… so which one do you like? What make you decide that unit? We’re mostly gonna use it for wreck diving and longer bottom time!
Is your profile correct? less than 100dives?

I dive the BM Optima and have no real complaints about the unit. I chose it due to the number of Optima divers that are around my area and there is a good instructor local to me. Most everyone I dive with that is on a rebreather dives an Optima and we share spares amongst each other when the needs arises. Biggest thing is to look around and see what other people are diving and ask them why they went with their particular unit.

Is your profile correct? less than 100dives?
Didn’t even pay attention to that when I created my account… I had to do like 3-4 account was never receiving the email for activation…

So my buddy and I are interested into CCR. Our local instructors can teach, the liberty optima jjccr or the Xccr.

we spoke to both the instructor and none can tell which one is the better… so which one do you like? What make you decide that unit? We’re mostly gonna use it for wreck diving and longer bottom time!

Try dive as many as possible and keep an open mind.I have enjoyed a few along the way and your choice in instructors will be equally as important as the CCR you choose.

Lesson I have learned along the way;
The loudest voice in the room may not always be the best advice for you.
Don't underestimate the value of having service available close by.
We are a close community don't Poo in your backyard politely disagree or say nothing at all(unless life safety is in the balance).
You will meet many people that are passionate along the way and care only that you are safe and enjoy journey.
Never be too proud or too arrogant to ask a question.

Good Luck

@EternalCompression has summarized it very well.

It is almost impossible for anyone to tell you what unit to buy, that is why your instructors are being very neutral about it.

Asking what unit to buy is like posting on this board "what car should I buy?" You will get a plethora of answers and reasons but remember that might not be the reasons for you personally.

About the only thing you can do (for the general off the shelf manufactured units) is kind of group the units like:
Back mounted
Chest mounted
Sidemount
The sidewinder style (gets its own category)

I will say that generally speaking (but might not be your case) the units you have listed are a very good starting points you can not go wrong with any of them. A backmounted unit is kind of the SUV of rebreathers. Vey good robust general purpose units. Just strap it on and go. Also very easy to configure for all kinds of diving with 2, 3, 4 on board tanks, and 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. bail outs.

When you start getting into the chest, sidemount, and SW style units they start to be come more specialized units.

@EternalCompression has summarized it very well.

It is almost impossible for anyone to tell you what unit to buy, that is why your instructors are being very neutral about it.

Asking what unit to buy is like posting on this board "what car should I buy?" You will get a plethora of answers and reasons but remember that might not be the reasons for you personally.

About the only thing you can do (for the general off the shelf manufactured units) is kind of group the units like:
Back mounted
Chest mounted
Sidemount
The sidewinder style (gets its own category)

I will say that generally speaking (but might not be your case) the units you have listed are a very good starting points you can not go wrong with any of them. A backmounted unit is kind of the SUV of rebreathers. Vey good robust general purpose units. Just strap it on and go. Also very easy to configure for all kinds of diving with 2, 3, 4 on board tanks, and 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. bail outs.

When you start getting into the chest, sidemount, and SW style units they start to be come more specialized units.
^likely one of the opinions on SB w the most CCR experience doing the biggest dives.

All solid units, what your friends/local community dive and the competence of instructor followed by ease of service should likely drive the decision. All four all solid and only the Lib is not driven off of Shearwater Electronics. Given the vibration function of the SW, they’re even closer together in terms of utility.

"Better" at exactly what?
Some are more flood tolerant, some have more user friendly servicing, some have tons of fiddly orings and some have fewer, some have more brittle plastic, some have various scrubber sizes, some have 1 available scrubber/size, some have more metal and dissimilar metal corrosion over time, some require parts from europe, some are a little lighter, some have CO2 sensors, some have helium sensors.

About the only thing those 4 have in common is they are all eCCRs and they are all independently tested to a CE standard for WOB and scrubber duration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom