The changing Scuba Industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I can see the reasons for some shops closing. With lots of ways of buying equipment, it would seem that one LDS may wind up servicing a larger area while others close. Our shop does well, but hardly any competition within maybe 100 miles. I still usually buy anything I need from them, or 3 shops I frequent while in the U.S.--- Just easier, and I don't buy much anyway.

I'm told by SSI instructors that if you call SSI that you get a call center in Boca that is not manned by training professionals.
I eavesdropped on a conversation related to this. When Mares bought SSI, it closed the old SSI office in Fort Collins, CO, where the training staff was. The people were told to move to Boca Raton or leave the organization. Most left. They have been struggling to build up their customer service and training staffs ever since.

Part of the problem I find is that half the time I go to one of my LDS's to look for something, and I get a "we can order that for you". Problem is I can order that for me too and if once I put my hands on it I don't like it I can return it. Trying to return something like that to a local shop I get "That is a special order, sorry no refunds".

I showed up at the right time for the metamorphosis 16 years ago. It's been a fun run, but I have no illusions that this will last forever.

I realize how spoiled I am to have the LDS I do.
I used to think I was spoiled since I had half a dozen LDS within about 30-40 miles. Then one of them screwed up my reg. So we went to a different LDS. That one fixed my reg and a year later screwed up my divebuddy's reg.

My eyes have been opened.

I still think I am lucky to have a bunch of shops around. But I do not trust any of them to educate me or provide anything other than mainstream products.

Part of the problem I find is that half the time I go to one of my LDS's to look for something, and I get a "we can order that for you". Problem is I can order that for me too and if once I put my hands on it I don't like it I can return it. Trying to return something like that to a local shop I get "That is a special order, sorry no refunds".

Leisure Pro, in stock, exchange available, way below MSRP with a phone call.

I'm not in the industry, but since my kids are "millenials" (currently nearing their 30s) I noticed that they just aren't into owning things. They would rather "do" things. I've seen this with the 20s at work, too. Some of them see "things" as something that takes up space when it isn't being used.

You aren't the only one that's noticed this. Check this:
Millennials: Forget material things, help us take selfies

This seems to mean that gear "ownership" could decline at the same time that the number of "divers" stays stead or even increases. Think about those who choose renting over home ownership (or can't afford a house), or the popularity of car sharing, whether its Car2Go or Uber.

The definition of "diver" might have to change. Not sure how to do that and maintain safety standards. Diving takes training, a lot more than windsurfing, or kayaking, or fishing, or (most) hiking.

I have NO idea how this will play out. Maybe we'll see a decline of mid-high rec and tech diving, and just more and more "resort course", where diving will be a one time experience, or only as part of a vacation. Like you were saying, dive experience in the morning, fishing or windsurfing in the afternoon.

Maybe instead of people going on vacation in order to dive, they'll go on vacation and diving will just be one of the things they happen to do.

I've already seen the diving industry go from "ex Navy macho diver" instructors (70s/80s) to where we are today.

Threads about "standards slipping" are an almost weekly thing here.

I see the same thing on the ham radio forums: "the hobby has gone to hell since they stopped requiring morse code at 100 words per minute and building a radio from tubes, bobby pins, spit and gumption". The hobby hasn't gone downhill, it's just *changed* to digital modes, moon bounce, microwave and software defined radios. It changed in a way that the "old guard" just couldn't see coming because it was so different from their experience.

I'm currently in the video game industry. We're still sorting out what to do now that people don't want to buy a disk. They want to rent or buy games as a service, the experience, not own a piece of plastic. As a stepping stone, we let them buy a "disk" online and download it. Some companies are looking at pure game online "rental" markets, or "all you can play" for some $/month.

Look at NetFlix - remember when they mailed DVDs? Now you pay a monthly price for all you can watch.

I have no idea what the similar change is going to be for diving. This sport requires equipment and training. One of those has to be purchased, one doesn't. Maybe that's the market shift?

Diving isn't going downhill, it's just changing in a way that no one has quite figured out yet. As the "old guard" it's going to be hard for us to figure this out, especially if we see this as a "decline" instead of a "change".

This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I eavesdropped on a conversation related to this. When Mares bought SSI, it closed the old SSI office in Fort Collins, CO, where the training staff was. The people were told to move to Boca Raton or leave the organization. Most left. They have been struggling to build up their customer service and training staffs ever since.
Happened at RSM too. I don't know if your favorite training department staff is still there, mine is not.

This stock analysis link talks about how action adventure equipment providers are doing badly, while golf, trucking, bowling, and just cardio exercise equipment, apparel and sneakers are doing great.
I wonder if there is an inverse relationship with western population getting more obese and out of shape, and whether people today simply know they can't do the sustained, hard work that hardcore SCUBA can be.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ies-to-consider-for-your-stock-portfolio.html
Huh? Most folks I see on dive boats seem way over weight...in The Americas that is!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom