The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I logged 5 dives at the bridge in January for a total of 11 1/2 hours of bottom time. BRRRRRRRRRRRRR - but the manatees and spotted eagle rays this time of the year are worth it. It allows for sharing dive stories and hot chocolate :coffee: with fellow mucksters.

Jan 8th was a special treat - a group of 8 manatee did a swim by - 2 sets of adults with a youngin' in tow and 2 other adults

I'm always amazed at how starfish can grow back a missing arm...or is it a leg ? sometimes they grow back one and other times they get 2 for the loss of 1 !

Jan 9th I went back searching for the manatees :uwphotographer: but as the bridge would have it - didn't see a single one ! I did however for the first time in several years get hooked on a fishing line. It caught my fin strap, it took a minute or two to figure out what was going on. As I hang there, kicking with my free leg my buddy came over and unhooked it just as I was reaching for my knife.

No unique treasures to share from today.

Jan 15th was dive 3 - todays special treat was a manatee that swam right up to me, I think it wanted me to take it's pic :idk: so who was I to refuse ?

Jan 22nd I encountered a playful southern sting ray, hanging out with the jack gang. I stalked them a little later, they tried to dodge me by going around the pilings so I snuck around to the other side - only the jacks came out, the sneaky ray pulled a fast one on me - he went between the pilings. He looked like he was having a good ole' time leaning from side to side to navigate the swim thru. I found 3 lionfish on the NW side today. :eek:(

I love the positions the starfish get into too - this one was just hanging around. I figured either sun bathing or he had a really rough night and doesn't recall how he got there.

Jan 23rd - not sure what happened but the lionfish were exterminated :idk: - the triggerfish really seem to like them... I guess they taste like chicken ???

I found another 6 leg/arm starfish
some adorable little shells that quickly disappeared into the sand
a NICE triggerfish for once - unlike the usual attack triggers that I usually encounter.
and last but not least - to end my dive - sheepshead in what appeared to be a mating ritual. I stayed with them for about 15-20 minutes photographing and shooting video - they finally told me to get lost !

I attempted to add the images as I wrote about them - I hope it worked !

Attachments

• starfish growing 2 legs to replace a lost one-1.jpg
    starfish growing 2 legs to replace a lost one-1.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 123
  • manatee-1.jpg
    manatee-1.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 109
  • big playful ray-1.jpg
    big playful ray-1.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 72
  • swimming through the pilings-1.jpg
    swimming through the pilings-1.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 87
  • close encounter-1.jpg
    close encounter-1.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 72
  • just hangin around-1.jpg
    just hangin around-1.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 77
  • neato little shell-1.jpg
    neato little shell-1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 6 leg starfish-1.jpg
    6 leg starfish-1.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 97
  • nice trigger-1.jpg
    nice trigger-1.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 92
  • sheepsheads in love-1.jpg
    sheepsheads in love-1.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 71
  • get lost-1.jpg
    get lost-1.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 71
Is anyone diving the Wednesday (2/9) high tide? I will be at the bridge about 10:30 and just wanted to see if anyone wanted to buddy up.

Jenny
I stress to all who love Blue Heron Bridge please do not post where you may find the special fish, animals & invertebrates that don't move around. Also don't post photos where by looking at the surroundings collectors can find our special photo subjects. With all the places to collect this should not be one of them. Please don't make it easier. I use to love to share but no longer will with those I don't know for fear the next dive the critter might be gone.
Deb

I agree 100%.

I logged 5 dives at the bridge in January for a total of 11 1/2 hours of bottom time. BRRRRRRRRRRRRR - but the manatees and spotted eagle rays this time of the year are worth it. It allows for sharing dive stories and hot chocolate :coffee: with fellow mucksters.

Jan 8th was a special treat - a group of 8 manatee did a swim by - 2 sets of adults with a youngin' in tow and 2 other adults

I'm always amazed at how starfish can grow back a missing arm...or is it a leg ? sometimes they grow back one and other times they get 2 for the loss of 1 !

Jan 9th I went back searching for the manatees :uwphotographer: but as the bridge would have it - didn't see a single one ! I did however for the first time in several years get hooked on a fishing line. It caught my fin strap, it took a minute or two to figure out what was going on. As I hang there, kicking with my free leg my buddy came over and unhooked it just as I was reaching for my knife.

No unique treasures to share from today.

Jan 15th was dive 3 - todays special treat was a manatee that swam right up to me, I think it wanted me to take it's pic :idk: so who was I to refuse ?

Jan 22nd I encountered a playful southern sting ray, hanging out with the jack gang. I stalked them a little later, they tried to dodge me by going around the pilings so I snuck around to the other side - only the jacks came out, the sneaky ray pulled a fast one on me - he went between the pilings. He looked like he was having a good ole' time leaning from side to side to navigate the swim thru. I found 3 lionfish on the NW side today. :eek:(

I love the positions the starfish get into too - this one was just hanging around. I figured either sun bathing or he had a really rough night and doesn't recall how he got there.

Jan 23rd - not sure what happened but the lionfish were exterminated :idk: - the triggerfish really seem to like them... I guess they taste like chicken ???

I found another 6 leg/arm starfish
some adorable little shells that quickly disappeared into the sand
a NICE triggerfish for once - unlike the usual attack triggers that I usually encounter.
and last but not least - to end my dive - sheepshead in what appeared to be a mating ritual. I stayed with them for about 15-20 minutes photographing and shooting video - they finally told me to get lost !

I attempted to add the images as I wrote about them - I hope it worked !

Fantastic report & photos. Makes me feel like I was there sharing your adventure-well at least the hot chocolate!! :D

I got back from my long weekend in Florida yesterday. I got over to the bridge on Saturday 2/5/11 about 9. Most everyone was already in. There was a good crowd there. I went in snorkeling at first to get the "lay-of-the-land" before I put the scuba unit on. I ended up being in for an hour. I had to get out because I was getting stung too much. I had done a good job of avoiding the jellies but a few of them got past my guard. I only had a bathing suit on. What are those 2" diameter jellies with the 2' long streamers? I think that's what was getting me. I don't think they were the man-of-wars unless they have a different shape when they are young.

I went out and around the 2nd pier, I found the rowboat, the motorboat and the shopping carts. I had thought about going back in with the tank but most everyone was leaving by then.

I went back on Monday afternoon after returning from the Keys and a Sunday dive on the Spiegel Grove. I got to the bridge about 4 but there was a strong wind blowing. So much so that the sand was whipping across the Park. I really wanted to get back in and explore the area more but there was just too much chop and wind. If there had been others there I would have, but the place was deserted except for the lifeguard.

I enjoyed the site and will definately go back there in my future travels to Florida.

Good luck with your preservation efforts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom