The Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this movie the other day and cried many times. We almost swam with the dolphins in the bahamas, and I am so glad we didn't. I will never do it, now. No Sea World, but I decided that long ago when I went and they had dolphins PACKED in a pool so you could feed them. It was depressing. There is no doubt that they don't belong there...

I saw this movie the other day and cried many times. We almost swam with the dolphins in the bahamas, and I am so glad we didn't. I will never do it, now. No Sea World, but I decided that long ago when I went and they had dolphins PACKED in a pool so you could feed them. It was depressing. There is no doubt that they don't belong there...

Before you start bad mouthing Sea World and other Aquariums...remember, the ocean is no longer a safe place anymore for them. We are overpolluting, overfishing, and mis-managing the ocean resources. Even Jacques Cousteau once said..."there's no point in saving the whales: if they are not going to have an ocean to live in".

But its always funny how people seem to forgot that was Sea World that rescued, rehabbed, and released J.J. the Gray Whale. Nobody has the expertise, facilities, or ability to do this with a large whale. Also it was Sea World that gave Donley the Dolphin a home, after the Fish and Game Department declared him unfit to return back into the wild after being rehabbed in Texas. It was Sea World that provided Sully the Pilot Whale a home after he was unable to be returned back into the wild off Curacao in the Caribbean. The lastest cold snap that affected sea turtles, and manatees...it was Sea World again that took in some of animals. Its easy to bad mouth Sea World, but I guess its harder to give them credit when they are really helping animals.

I'm aware Sea World also does good... but there really were far too many dolphins in a much too small tank so people could feed them tiny $5 cups of fish. I don't think that's very good practice.

Rehab and release, yes. Keeping an animal unfit to release, yes. Packing dolphins in a tank like sardines for human entertainment and profit, no way.

'The Cove': Taiji, Japanese Village In Oscar-Winning Film, Defends Dolphin Hunting
If you read how the goverment or people in Japan reacted to the documentary you will understand that there is no hope.In the name of tradition they are ready to kill any dolphin around Japan.
Of course behind tradition are hiding much money but they keep saying "its our tradition stop bother us"
I would like to ask any Japan member here in scubaboard how their comunity reacts to this shame.And please don't say anything about tradition.

It is not really about tradition, even if the people interviewed are saying so.

The film went around major cities in Japan and none of the locals there have heard of such a tradition.
If it were indeed one, then a lot of Japanese should have known about it. Even the old ones don't, as the film has shown.

It is more the issue of PEST CONTROL. They see dolphins as pests and therefore their competition on fish, their main source of livelihood.

It is a very difficult battle, in the old thread it was established that "it is THEIR COUNTRY. Foreigners, short of colonizing them, cannot simply walk in there and tell them what they can and cannot do."

I am from the Philippines by the way, and yes, dogs get eaten here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom