The DIR hose length note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 24 on my singles and a 26 on my doubles so as said before whatever works for you but no more.

set your tanks and regs up,,, put the rig on,,, look into a mirror,,, the backup reg hose should allow you to move your head left to rt. with out restriction,,, and then it should also not fall into the path or on top of or below the d ring on the right shoulder,,, it should lie just above it ,, so not to get in the way ,, when clipping off anything to that ring,, that would be the ideal set up,,,

now just find the correct length to make that happen

Ed Hayes

The optimal length can definitely vary slightly depending oin your personal rig. It can be affected by STA/no-STA, configuration of your first stage, orientation of your first stage ports, and how high you mount your tank. I found 22" too short and am using a 24" hose (single tank).

As others have said, there is definitely some trial and error involved.

I will also echo Ed's comment about using a mirror -- great way to check your hose routing for the back-up hose as well as your other hoses.

Good luck with the course -- Bob is a great guy and instructor.

-Chris

MY rig is fine with a single tank Ill check the length and post tonight. With doubbles its a little on the short side but not enough to warrent changing it.

crosing, a bunch of us from LSC just took our fundies class with Bob a couple of weekends ago and had a great time. I'm sure you'll really learn a bunch. You'll have a blast too if arcangelhayes is there to help Bob. He's excellent with analogies :)

After the class, John just ordered a handful of 22" and 24" hoses - check to see if they came in and take your kit to the store and try the different sizes to see how they work.

-Frank

Frank - I talked to John who was still really excited about the course. I'm still waiting for the Halcyon unit to come in, it's backordered due to the inflator recall.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm trying to work out some new hose configurations on my setup to get rid of the clutter that's around my chest when diving. A few tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated about the following plan.

HP Inflator hose when using BP/Wings: Length? I bought a used Halcyon setup that didn't come with a HP hose, so I have my old one that I got with my Ranger.

LP primary 2nd stage: I'd like to go with a 7' hose, however I don't have a light cannister to route it under. Would a 5' be a better setup then? How would that be routed?

LP alternate 2nd stage: Bungeed around my neck. Length? 22", 24", or 26". I only dive single Steel 100's. I have an H-valve, but currently only have 1 reg.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mel

melfox26:
I'm trying to work out some new hose configurations on my setup to get rid of the clutter that's around my chest when diving. A few tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated about the following plan.

HP Inflator hose when using BP/Wings: Length? I bought a used Halcyon setup that didn't come with a HP hose, so I have my old one that I got with my Ranger.

LP primary 2nd stage: I'd like to go with a 7' hose, however I don't have a light cannister to route it under. Would a 5' be a better setup then? How would that be routed?

LP alternate 2nd stage: Bungeed around my neck. Length? 22", 24", or 26". I only dive single Steel 100's. I have an H-valve, but currently only have 1 reg.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mel

When I don't dive with a canister, I slip the 7' hose under my knife pouch at my waist before it heads up my torso and around my neck.

melfox26:
I dived with a 7' hose for a while before getting my canister light to tuck it under. It works just fine if you take a bight (loop) of hose and tuck it into your waistbelt by your hip - just slide it as far back toward the plate as it'll go. When deploying the hose, one tug pulls it free and you can re-tuck underwater as needed.

I had a buddy who couldn't get the 7' hose to stay under his knife sheath and who eventually ended up doing the tucking thing too. IMO if you can get it to stay under your knife sheath, you're wearing too big a knife........

I dived a 5' hose once - didn't like it at all, and I'm a short person (5'2") so you'd think 5' would be ideal for me. YMMV.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom