The DIR hose length note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerardnealon:
Hello, I was curious why the hose length on a single tank kit is 5' and the double tank kit is 7' I am just starting to figure out all this DIR stuff, I was under the impression that the hose gets routed down the side, across chest, around head and in mouth. Would the 5' hose length be long enough for this routing? Thanks for any replies.

Gerard

It's primarily because they assume that if you're in a single tank you won't have a cannister light to loop the hose under. The 5' hose isn't for overhead environments where you'd have to go single file through a restriction. When you have a 5' hose, it simply goes across the chest, not so much down and then across (if that makes sense.)

I find 5' too short, and use a 7' hose for both my singles and doubles configuration.

Boogie711:
It's primarily because they assume that if you're in a single tank you won't have a cannister light to loop the hose under. The 5' hose isn't for overhead environments where you'd have to go single file through a restriction. When you have a 5' hose, it simply goes across the chest, not so much down and then across (if that makes sense.)

I find 5' too short, and use a 7' hose for both my singles and doubles configuration.

cool, thanks for the info. It makes sense now. I going to invest in a canister light anyways so I guess ill just get the 7' hose. Thanks again.

Gerard

can light or not the 7ft hose works great for singles. ALso IF you ever go to doubles you wont have to change anything (hose wise). I belive the 5ft hose is ALLOWED but not mandatory.

I'm just curious - I was just watching the DIRIII video, where George Irvine shows a single tank rig with the primary on a hose which seems much shorter than 5'. He further demonstrates that the hose goes under the arm, then straight to the mouth. Is such hose length and routing considered DIR or is it an outdated video? Or did I misunderstand anything? :confused:

Sloop John B:
What lenth(s) hose works for the backup reg (doubles setup) given that it comes from the left post? I would think it would need to be longer than my single tank setup. Thanks.

I'm using DS4's and I find that they need the 24 inch back hose. The TX100's and ATX200's work fine with the 22 inch though

I have an ATX200 and am looking at getting an ATX50 backup. I am new to DIR and will be taking the DIR-F in September with Bob Sherwood. I was wondering how long the short hose should be? 22", 24", 26"???

The really only effective way to find out is to dive it and find out. I started with a 22, but had to go to a 24" for my doubles. My singles reg still has a 22 - probably since it's closer to my right shoulder, being in the middle of my back like that. I don't know anyone who uses a 26" backup hose.

I tried 22" and went to 24". The "proper" size is the one that works best for you and your rig.

Enough that you can turn your head to the left without it tugging on the reg in your mouth, no more, and certainly no less.

22" is the so called "standard" length but regs like the Apeks DS4 doesn't route ideally and requires a 24" hose to do the same job that a few other regs do with a 22", not that that is a big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom