the "Eco Kick" ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubainChicago wrote
I'm disturbed that PADI Distinctive Specialties are so easy to be approved.

?

"o easy to be approved?"

Yes, I found it much easier to write the application than I had thought -- but it was still a 13 page, almost 5000 word outline in addition to the 120 slide PowerPoint presentation that was part of the submission. As I understand the process at PADI, it is reviewed by technical staff for content and legal staff for issues -- that process took about 4 weeks.

It was easier than I had anticipated.

Making it a specialty would just demonstrate unmitigated greed.
PADI offering a peak buoyancy class to square away one of the most important skills any diver can have is already ramming through the front gates there.

It's only an iKick if you're wearing white fins.
Nah, they come in black now :wink: the iKick S.

I got a crazy idea. How about teaching all this in OW class!?!? Radical I know, but it can be done.

When I got my Open Water Cert. They actually required swimming skills as a requirement to certification. The "Frog Kick" was just one of several kicks that were taught and you were required to master them before progressing through the course. I use the frog kick almost exclusively when swimming without fins. I would frequently swim the length of an Olympic swimming pool under water using a combination of "eco kick" and breast stroke.

But what about those of us that can't Frog Eco Kick due to physical reasons. I blew out my knee right before Christmas, and was doing some diving the last two weeks I was in Australia for work, and well tried the Frog Kick, and thought I had blown it out again....

The frog kick is definitely overlooked with most open water teaching IMO. I wish it had been emphasized with me in my open water classes. I don't get leg cramps with a frog kick, my gas consumption improves and I'm more relaxed. Although if your wearing split fins it is impossible to get anywhere with a frog kick. My dive rites are awesome for frog kicks and even in moderate current I can modified flutter kick and go go go while still maintaining my bouancy and trim 😉.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But what about those of us that can't Frog Eco Kick due to physical reasons. I blew out my knee right before Christmas, and was doing some diving the last two weeks I was in Australia for work, and well tried the Frog Kick, and thought I had blown it out again....

Well...your just not going to be an "Eco Diver©" then. :wink:

---------- Post added March 25th, 2013 at 05:52 PM ----------

I'm kind of confused now, should I use the "Eco Kick©" or the "Reef Kick©".
Instead of taking the upgrade training, can I just read a bulletin and practice in a pool? There's no instructor here, and I don't want to travel for this training. :wink:

Cheers,
Mitch

nrengle, assuming your question was serious. . . If you are in good horizontal trim, with your knees somewhat bent, a small flutter kick from the calves and ankles (modified flutter) will give you almost the same amount of protection from silting as a frog kick.

It's interesting how old stuff keeps getting "reinvented" with new names.

Yep. I can't understand why they have to call them "scuba divers" rather than "frogmen" like in the good 'ole days!
If they made it more PC and called them "frogpersons" I could live with that.

TS, it wasn't really serious, just poking fun at the idea of renaming the wheel again with the whole "Eco" kick. I know that a good flutter won't disturb the sand, was using it while I was in Tangalooma/Moreton Island two weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom