The Ethics of Full Disclosure on ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being in medicine for the last 32 years, I have watched massive changes regarding "gifts". Why would any manufacturer give "free" merchandise to a potentially influential diver? I'm sorry, I do not believe that there are no expectations. I would ask those involved in this type of transaction, what is the purpose of the activity and how is it justified? Everyone pays for these gifts, it is included in the marketing expenses of the manufacturer and passed on to the consumer. I could say much more, I'll leave it at that. Personally, I would include these gifts with the graft and corruption of business practices.

I have limited my objections to cases where individuals stand to benefit and that benefit is not disclosed. To intentionally portray an Honestly conducted "Open House" type event as the equivalent is kinda silly.

Tobin
Your words "Vulgar" and "Corrupt" when talking about business dining and small gifts still stand, so I am indignant and not silly and you can you put yourself in my shoes, for example: Say my daughter and I have an innovative new speargun design, and we ask you to Afternoon Tea to discuss business possibilities. Are you afraid you might sell your soul for a buttered crumpet? Will it degrade your moral fiber if you don't disclose with each recommendation of said speargun, that you have received, (and wear), a frilly grilling apron with the logo "Franny's Fishcapades"?

Your words "Vulgar" and "Corrupt" when talking about business dining and small gifts still stand, so I am indignant and not silly and you can you put yourself in my shoes, for example: Say my daughter and I have an innovative new speargun design, and we ask you to Afternoon Tea to discuss business possibilities. Are you afraid you might sell your soul for a buttered crumpet? Will it degrade your moral fiber if you don't disclose with each recommendation of said speargun, that you have received, (and wear), a frilly grilling apron with the logo "Franny's Fishcapades"?
I will recommend split fins and a poodle jacket if it means I can have one of those aprons!

If I give you a week or weekend on a boat with spearfishing and a video pro, can I get that apron too?

There are several regular posters who seem like they may have an arrangement with the brand they support. I'm all for disclosing these arrangements. I would like to hope this notice is enough to prompt such disclosure. If not, more draconian measures may be needed.
Can we TAR and FEATHER them?

If I give you a week or weekend on a boat with spearfishing and a video pro, can I get that apron too?

So, you did keep the dingy?

So, you did keep the dingy?
no, but new boat come soon. If I can get the boatyard to give me a refit quote. The deal is made for the boat and the bank is onboard.

Was not the purpose of this thread to discuss the need for disclosure?

If you stand to benefit from providing advice the only ethical thing to disclose that fact to your audience.

Does a salesperson / rep who clearly represents a given brand have an obligation to "disclose" anything to anybody? Not if they are dealing directly with the person who signs the checks for any purchases, for example when they are dealing with a dive shop *owner* There is *nothing* left to disclose about the relationship.

Does this same sales person need to disclose to the dive shop owner if they are offering some sort of bonus to the sales staff for pushing their brand? Of course they do, otherwise they are trying to corrupt the staff, by creating a conflict of interest. The honest reps will be entirely open about such arraignments.

I've had a store owner suggest to me that I needed to offer his staff "spiffs" for my goods to compete with other brands that did provide such "spiffs"
Of course this same owner also told me that *His* money was in the pockets of the people that walked into his store and it was his job to get all of it before they left. Needless to say I offered no “spiffs” and terminated him as a dealer. I want my customer to buy my goods because they have made an informed decision that they are fit for their purpose and are a reasonable value, not as the result of aggressive sales efforts. Could I sell more if I er, ah well, elected to use a different marketing model? Maybe, but anybody that’s selling into the technical, or technical inspired scuba space is kidding themselves if they think it’s a path to early retirement.

Is it wrong for a salesperson to buy the store owner a meal? Of course not; it could be a very good technique to get some time free of distractions to discuss business.

Would it be wrong for the same salesman to buy the store staff a meal without the owner’s knowledge? Of course; the ethical salesman would ask permission of the owner to do so. What store owner would refuse such a request from an honest rep?

The idea that capitalism requires or excuses unethical behavior is sad IMO. Naïve maybe, but it is still sad. We should all aspire to raise standards not excuse those who lower them.

That such practices have become the common, i.e. vulgar, does not make them right. The degree does not make them ethical either. “Well it was just a few dollars, or just a few discounts, or a store credit, or just one dinner” All are just excuses.

The reality is people generally know right from wrong, they just want to rationalize bending the rules (or pretending there are no rules) when it suits them.

Tobin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom