The Ethics of Full Disclosure on ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tobin, "Common", or commonplace, does not have the same connotation as " vulgar". But the image on the logo for that grilling apron, there you might apply your favorite "V" word!
I just have to get my crayons out...

Your words "Vulgar" and "Corrupt" when talking about business dining and small gifts still stand, so I am indignant and not silly and you can you put yourself in my shoes, for example: Say my daughter and I have an innovative new speargun design, and we ask you to Afternoon Tea to discuss business possibilities. Are you afraid you might sell your soul for a buttered crumpet? Will it degrade your moral fiber if you don't disclose with each recommendation of said speargun, that you have received, (and wear), a frilly grilling apron with the logo "Franny's Fishcapades"?

Repeatedly you have offered examples that I have to at this point, assume are intended to confuse others about what my position is, and has always been.

In case you have missed it my position is, has been, and will remain:

If you are in a position to influence how others spend money *and* benefit from such an expenditure you need to disclose that fact.

Please explain how your above example bears *any* relation to either the original post that started this thread, or my oft repeated position.

Your example suggests that you are *openly* seeking to discuss potential new product with a potential manufacturer.

Exactly what conflict of interest could such a meeting possible create?

Tobin

Tobin, "Common", or commonplace, does not have the same connotation as " vulgar".
vulgar (adj.)
late 14c., "common, ordinary," from Latin vulgaris, volgaris "of or pertaining to the common people, common, vulgar, low, mean," from vulgus "the common people, multitude, crowd, throng,"

I just have to get my crayons out...

For what?

Tobin

vulgar (adj.)
late 14c., "common, ordinary," from Latin vulgaris, volgaris "of or pertaining to the common people, common, vulgar, low, mean," from vulgus "the common people, multitude, crowd, throng,"

For what?

Tobin

i do not have a dog in this fight however I would point out that you are trying to use the origin of the word as the definition of the word. Yes, in the 14th century it did mean common however this is not the 14th century and the common modern definition is as follows:

adjective
characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste
indecent; obscene; lewd:
a vulgar work; a vulgar gesture.

As for the main topic, if someone receives a "kick-back" of any kind for the promoting of or selling of a product or service, that should be disclosed.

Tobin, did a Thesaurus come with your Dictionary? You could use it to select different and less hurtful words than "vulgar" and "corrupt" when referring to other people's work experiences.
The crayons are for the Frilly grilling apron logo that I am designing for your "spiff", but I can't decide between "vulgar" and "corrupt", or maybe your Thesaurus can suggest a better adjective?

It was... but this is what you first objected to...

Kudos for changing your stance. Negative points for acting like you haven't done just that.

I've changed no positions.

One can be both in favor of full disclosure,

(Note I made the statement below in the 4th post of this thread.)

I'm entirely in favor of full disclosure.

and opposed to creating conflicts of interest.

Holding both views is in no way inconsistent, or require any flip flops, changing views or positions.

Some use words to insult and injure rather than to communicate. It's my bet that the miscommunication was on purpose.

Some people choose to assign false motives, I'll bet that was on purpose too.....

Tobin

Tobin, did a Thesaurus come with your Dictionary? You could use it to select different and less hurtful words than "vulgar" and "corrupt" when referring to other people's work experiences.
The crayons are for the Frilly grilling apron logo that I am designing for your "spiff", but I can't decide between "vulgar" and "corrupt", or maybe your Thesaurus can suggest a better adjective?

I used vulgar precisely because of it's historical root, and it's modern usage. I know I was surprised many years ago when learned that elitist Romans used vulgar to describe the actions / practices / of the common people. It struck me at first as being offensive, but I soon realized that was due to my conditioning that "vulgar" is frequently used as an adjective when referring to taboo / morally corrosive / unpleasant subjects.

I think we can agree that the intentional creation of conflicts of interest are a pervasive (common) today.

I also find such practices morally corrosive.

Common (per the ancient Romans) + Morally Corrosive (modern usage) make "Vulgar" ideal to describe the use of intentional corruption as a marketing plan.

I'll also point out I provided a hint concerning it's ancient root, after I discovered you lacked the benefits a classical education. :)

Note in post #74
One can try to defend it as an effective method to increase sales, or excuse it as common (i.e. vulgar), or acceptable *up to a point* Immoral behavior sadly has many defenders.

Tobin

My opinion is this is facebook for divers. I do not base anything I do or buy based on any posts I read. I read opinions and do my research. It's a starting point, but that's it. If you don't like a product , or the way an organization teaches their way. Move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom