The explanation of d33ps1x as nick. What's yours mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My nickname? It means I was the 246th diver to be initiated as a "Groundhog". There are a few other 'hogs' lurking and posting here, most under nicknames they're also generally known by on dive sites. FWIW, to become a 'Groundhog', one must complete 50 open water dives in the first year after certification (or 100 in the second year, 200 in the third, etc), the 50th must be done buddied with a Groundhog, followed by being initiated into the Fraternity of the Groundhog and receipt of the secret, sacred scroll. It's a good deal of fun, 50 in your first year makes you a better diver (at least that's the plan) and you get free air at the GH shops.

RICHinNC......anyone need night school to figure this one out???

zslnk, <- People always ask about names without vowels, it means nothing...

Craig,

Sorry, I copied my other post directly, since nothing changed and I didn't feel like retyping...
I've never really had a nickname. But last year when I started lurking this board - it didn't take me long to decide I wanted to post. At the time I was not yet certified scuba but did a lot of Freediving. I tried out a few combinations with Free in them and nothing looked quite right. Well my "other" passion is my racing sailing dinghy which naturally "floats" (even while swamped or capsized, there's a few stories about that) - so I stuck the Free and the Float together and it looked about right.

For a while, as is my Internet custom in unfamiliar places, I didn't even reveal my gender - and FreeFloat was androgynous enough to get away with that as well. Then as I took scuba training and learned the art of neutral buoyancy the Float part just made more and more sense.

I like it so much that I've marked my gear with "FF" or "FreeFloat". I even have a few diving type people (buddies and otherwise) who have no clue as to my real given name, to them I'm just FreeFloat...........

Groundhog246:
... FWIW, to become a 'Groundhog', one must complete 50 open water dives in the first year after certification (or 100 in the second year, 200 in the third, etc), the 50th must be done buddied with a Groundhog, followed by being initiated into the Fraternity of the Groundhog and receipt of the secret, sacred scroll. It's a good deal of fun...

Whatcha doing next week? :D

I'm at 44 dives logged, and will be doing two or three more this weekend........I think I'd be a great candidate to become a Groundhog on account of my birthday......

FreeFloat:
Whatcha doing next week? :D

I'm at 44 dives logged, and will be doing two or three more this weekend........I think I'd be a great candidate to become a Groundhog on account of my birthday......
Next weekend, I'll be in Kingston to help raise the moorings. :10:

used to be a volunteer fire fighter...... my weapon of choice.... (I was a little enthusiastic about this particular tool) :) you guessed it..... so I got the nick back then and when I got my first e-mail I started using it.

So it has nothing to do with guitars like some people think..... I have had a few people ask me about that... :)

I probably need a new one now that I have been out of the fire racket for about 10 years... but I haven't got a clue...... and most of my friends know me as Axeman...

Once you have a nick name it is hard to come up with a new one......

Ive been using this name for years and never changed it

Stands for Del Sol

Wich was my car before i had to sell for diving gear :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom