The explanation of d33ps1x as nick. What's yours mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was an executive recruiter when I started using the Internet in the early '90s and as a result started using the name headhunter.

Shortly thereafter, I went to work for a "tiny" little startup ISP called EarthLink and then left the executive search business. (At the time, EarthLink only had 3 used servers and 14 modems serving "part" of Los Angeles. It was an exciting place then and I can honestly say that, in the early years, it was one the coolest places I've ever worked in. I spent a fascinating 8 years there.)

Even though I changed professions from headhunting to Internet related endeavors, I liked the "jungle feel of adventure" to the name. So, I've been using headhunter ever since. :crafty:

Christian

Try typing that name over and over again! Man, am I happy this site uses cookies...

As for the name: take one scoop fanatic (about diving) and one scoop fantastic (diving in general, not my ability to do so) and mix well.

Steve

It's what I do these days .... Koror, Yap, Guam, Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Kwajelein, Majuro, Oahu, Saipan... and a few others.
It's a shame I don't get to spend enough time at these places to dive them. Of course I have yet to see everything there is to see under Guam's waters.

I used to be AaronBBrown, but that was too boring, so I started a poll for my friends to give me a name in NELD. Given that I had recently gone through a string of "dry"suit woes, they dubbed me Soggy. Now everone calls me Soggy, Sogg, Soggster, or El Soggerino (if you're not into that whole brevity thing) to my face and seems to have forget that my real name is Aaron.

detroit diver:
And I thought the last part was where you hung out to get your slurpies...!

Naw, 7-11 (the store) is evil and I don't darken their doors, but that's only because they sponsor Andretti-Green Racing in the IRL and the IRL are sons of Satan. I'm a Champ Car Fanatic.

Re: Kevin Ripley's point - it's a valid one, to a point. I don't have anything to hide. I'm Jeff Chatterton, and don't try to deny that to anyone. When the DecoStop started up, I was trying to figure out if I wanted to "fix" my nickname, but a few friends pointed out that JChatterton would cause more trouble than it's worth on a Scuba forum. I didn't want to look like I was trying to ride the other JChatterton's coattails. When I was introducing speakers at the Shipwrecks festival in Michigan, I must have had 10 people ask if I was related.

The legacy of the drowned rat... First dive ever in openwater during my mask clearing exercise I sucked up a snoot full of water (nose breathing reflex+under water=bad). While choking and sputtering I managed to make a controlled ascent to the surface with my instructor (was on the bottom in about 20ft of water). After coughing for about five minutes and purging about a litre st.lawrence from my gullet I was ready to go back down and complete the drill. Being that I looked like a drowned rat from the jokers on shore, the name appealed to me and stuck :)

Like I said before,

because

"Don Marcos Lopez Garcia de las Casas Sanchez de Santa Ana"

takes too long to type

and is probably a little pretentious!

Dive Source:
I prefer the fact that I now have my own name out there because if I say something stupid or rude then I am accountable for it.

Of course it makes me hover over the enter key quite a bit longer, but that's probably a good thing.

Same as Brian. It's the part of the company name.

I also believe in putting my name to everything I write and being responsible for my actions or at least typos :wink:

I use to use tekdvr back in the early days of evil tech diving but it became too much of a pain having to explain to everyone what it meant. I even have a set of personalized license plates with it. I took them off the truck two years ago.

It seems that everyone nowadays is god's gift to technical diving so us old boys and girls pretty much sit back and watch from the sidelines these days.

Just my 2 cents.

You couldn't of said that any better Brooks, I'm still trying to get you to call me Mr Adams instead of %^^^ Adams.

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom