The Fin Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like those force fins. Looks like you can do a lot with those. Also, kind of looks like a mermaid tail.

I may get flamed for this but IMO splits (which I use exclusively) are a bit easier to fin with, easier on the knees, (mostly) have a good power ratio. They say there are some kicks (frog kick, etc) that are more difficult, or even impossible to do with splits. I can attest that frog kicks are more difficult. They also say that splits stir up silt more. In my case, that also may be true. I use them because I mostly do flutter kicks or modified (with the ankle) flutter kicks and they are more relaxing (for me). Follow the advice above and make up your own mind. I've found that some of those leaving negative comments may never have given the splits a fair chance, simply spouting what some "expert" says or their opinion from looking at the fins, but not trying them.

It's not the fin that silts, it's really the kick. Since splits are more efficient with a flutter kick, you really won't be doing a frog. But, I can attest that doing a flutter kick in blades will kick up more bottom than splits. I think most of the split fin haters are cave, deep wreck, tech
etc divers. In those cases, you better have some stout blades.
In most open water aps, splits should be fine. I use atomic smoke splits in the ocean. They are exceptional. Stiffer than most so I can kinda do alternative kicks. At other more confined sites, my ancient USD original blades get the nod.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 04:29 PM ----------

One of the key reasons new divers "like" split fins so much, is that they really don't require any or much instruction to move around with them....they are much more like a Toboggan, rather than like Snow Skis ( jets/force fins/freedive fins--each of these has an optimal kick shape and coordination for getting a specific thrust to get you what you want....)...With split fins, almost any kind of kick shape will get the fins to move you forward...the problem is, the precision is none existant ( like the toboggan), and the ability to do things like reverse kicks and other skills you really ought to have, is stolen from you if you go the path of the split fins...
[video=youtube_share;2VEthluthE4]http://youtu.be/2VEthluthE4[/video]

Now the flip side...is that you have a boyfriend that would seem to be a good mentor, and an instructor, and both can help you learn to ski....I mean help you learn the proper kick shapes.....While 95% of all ow divers DO NOT learn how to ski/kick properly--but just go sloppily down the ski hill and claim this is how they enjoy it....there is a better way, it can easily be taught by the right people, and YOU should get this for YOU :)

My recommendation for big reefs is freedive fins, and for wrecks it is Force Fin.
Both come in models that are either soft, medium or stiffer--this tieing in with the athleticism and strength of the diver.....for a competitive cyclist, the stiffest freedive fins, or the stiffest force fins, are not stiff at all--actually they feel very soft and responsive--but to this same person, the soft version of the fin would feel like "useless spaghetti noodles"--so the responsiveness would be seriously impaired....this goes to the ABSOLUTE NEED you have to DEMO THE FINS you are interested in, and that you DEMAND to try any fin for an hour or so prior to deciding to buy it....and each different fin will likely need you to learn the optimal coordination for using it in a manner that showcases how good this fin could be for you....

Even if your local dive shop does not have demo fins....( they should!!), they DO HAVE customers that own the fins you want to try--and if the people in the shop are good people, they will have a relationship with their customers that will allow you to borrow a pair of each fin you want to try--and to use them for an hour or so.....

P.S.
****Note**** if the diver in this video was wearing freedive fins....such as DiveR ( composite blades amog the best in the world...think Lamborghini or Ferrari of fins)...with freedive fins on this diver in the video would NOT be able to go anywhere...he would be making so many mistakes the fins would not drive him forward.

Technically, the Agencies should teach a propulsion class PRIOR to putting each diver in tanks.....they should all be kicking the flutter and frogkick, with perfection, before they get a tank on their back.

Brother Dan. Happy new year. I kept free diving fins out, but you got me again with your video. But FTR, check out my photos. 2 split fin clowns, but you will also see me in my split fins. I'm the one getting kicked in the head.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 04:50 PM ----------

It's not the fin that silts, it's really the kick. Since splits are more efficient with a flutter kick, you really won't be doing a frog. But, I can attest that doing a flutter kick in blades will kick up more bottom than splits. I think most of the split fin haters are cave, deep wreck, tech
etc divers. In those cases, you better have some stout blades.
In most open water aps, splits should be fine. I use atomic smoke splits in the ocean. They are exceptional. Stiffer than most so I can kinda do alternative kicks. At other more confined sites, my ancient USD original blades get the nod.

Brother Dan. Happy new year. I kept free diving fins out, but you got me again with your video. But FTR, check out my photos. 2 split fin clowns, but you will also see me in my split fins. I'm the one getting kicked in the head.

More often the diver, rather than the fin. IJS.

Get some non-split fins.
Why?....because your boyfriend want to buy you a pair of fins, and doesn't want to spend money on split fins.

No point kidding yourself about it....you will end up with more than one pair sooner or later; so buy your own split fins later on.

Then you'll have them both, and can feel the difference for yourself.
Different fins are like gears on a bike.

For me personally.....split fins are like that gear that's too easy, and you start spinning it out....so I don't like split fins.

I don't like split fins, because I have actually used them, and found they didn't provide enough bite or resistance in the water for my liking.

The split fin crack heads, are going to tell you that diving their split sfins are just the most magical experience for them.
The Jet fin crack heads are going to tell you that it's the only fin you'll ever need.

Me.....I like trying out new stuff, so I own more than one pair. I've sold a few pairs in the past also, after trying them out, and not liking them.
Perhaps you will end up doing the same.

My preference.....I happen to like Jets.
My reason....I like the subtle control they give, and I like the bite or resistance the provide to me. I like the feeling of feed back I get form that type of fin.

@Dan.

I also free dive....I don't know about that whole scuba on free dive fins, Man.

I might have to try it out for the hell of it....but I kind of doubt it is something I would really switch to for scuba. Free dive fins are fins that I use with a much smoother flutter kick cycle; not what I use on scuba. I'll try it one day though.

I've tried force fins before, the Accelerating model for 8 dives...to give them a fair chance.
They were ok....but I wasn't feeling what the hype was saying about them.

A final thought...they are all good. They will all move your through the water. You eventually will naturally alter you kick cycle to fall into the sweet spot of whatever fin you are using.

Some fins click better with different people, which explains why some people really fall in love with certain fins.

One day, you will fall in love with some fins too.

Perhaps it will be the pair your BF buys for you.
Awwwww. :D:cloud9:

It seems highly unlikely that as a new diver whatever fins you buy--split or non-split or whatever--you will end up truly disliking. At best, you will think you LOVE your fins--because they are YOUR (first) fins and you will get used to them. Most likely, you will forget all about what fins you are wearing, like most of us casual recreational divers. With all of the things you will be focusing on as you learn to dive, you will probably forget all about the fins you're wearing. It's almost a non-issue for the new diver. Someday, after you have worked through other equipment and skill issues and find yourself looking to fine-tune your diving you will try switching to a different fin. I guess what I'm saying is that of all the equipment that new divers fret over selecting, I believe fins should be way down on the list. I have to believe that the vast majority of new divers just buy whatever is on sale for a good price or whatever their local dive shop has in stock--and they are usually satisfied enough. It's good that you have a mentor at such an early stage and are scouring Scubaboard for even more advice, but I am beginning to wonder whether all the additional input just muddles what a new diver should be focusing on.

Sometimes all the info is a little overwhelming, but I enjoy getting others opinions and advice. I have to be comfortable with what I'm using or it won't be fun to me. That's just me though. I'm all about safety!!!!

I say screw the fins if he won't buy you the ones you want. Make him get you a scooter. He'll learn to be more attentive to your wants when he has to shell out 4 grand instead of a couple hundred bucks. Course I'd never spend more than 125 on fins for me. I'd buy used ones first and I sell split fins that cost in excess of 250.00.

Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services

And they come in blue:D. As well as yellow, orange, pink, and white.

I say screw the fins if he won't buy you the ones you want. Make him get you a scooter. He'll learn to be more attentive to your wants when he has to shell out 4 grand instead of a couple hundred bucks. Course I'd never spend more than 125 on fins for me. I'd buy used ones first and I sell split fins that cost in excess of 250.00.

Hi Jim. Have a great year. To you and yours. Tim Lynch.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 07:00 PM ----------

Get what ever fins you want because you will never really know what you like until you have some dives under your belt. Besides it is probably going to take quite some time before you can even appreciate or notice the differences in a fin anyways. So after some time and and bunch of dives you will finally know what you expect out of a fins performance and by then you will probably want a new set of fin anyways. Get what ever makes you happy at this moment.

Jim, lol. To some of us color is important. I like black. Or red which turns black at
Like 30 fsl. But my 21 year old daughter, when we shop for gear, we are shopping for outfits.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 04:50 PM ----------

Hey Split Lip! I am not figuring out what you mean about "I got you" with the video ????
In any event, I visited your profile pics on your suggestion....and as a long time SB friend, I think you should dive with Sandra and me soon, and I'll have her shoot a bunch of shots of you on reef or wreck, that you will want for your profile :)

Best,
Dan

Dan. I will for ever be your biggest fan. Please see my sig. But for fins, we shall debate. And, Dan hope we do hook up. I have met Sandra and you at the Bridge.

Get some non-split fins.
Why?....because your boyfriend want to buy you a pair of fins, and doesn't want to spend money on split fins.

No point kidding yourself about it....you will end up with more than one pair sooner or later; so buy your own split fins later on.

Then you'll have them both, and can feel the difference for yourself.
Different fins are like gears on a bike.

For me personally.....split fins are like that gear that's too easy, and you start spinning it out....so I don't like split fins.

I don't like split fins, because I have actually used them, and found they didn't provide enough bite or resistance in the water for my liking.

The split fin crack heads, are going to tell you that diving their split sfins are just the most magical experience for them.
The Jet fin crack heads are going to tell you that it's the only fin you'll ever need.

Me.....I like trying out new stuff, so I own more than one pair. I've sold a few pairs in the past also, after trying them out, and not liking them.
Perhaps you will end up doing the same.

My preference.....I happen to like Jets.
My reason....I like the subtle control they give, and I like the bite or resistance the provide to me. I like the feeling of feed back I get form that type of fin.

@Dan.

I also free dive....I don't know about that whole scuba on free dive fins, Man.

I might have to try it out for the hell of it....but I kind of doubt it is something I would really switch to for scuba. Free dive fins are fins that I use with a much smoother flutter kick cycle; not what I use on scuba. I'll try it one day though.

I've tried force fins before, the Accelerating model for 8 dives...to give them a fair chance.
They were ok....but I wasn't feeling what the hype was saying about them.

A final thought...they are all good. They will all move your through the water. You eventually will naturally alter you kick cycle to fall into the sweet spot of whatever fin you are using.

Some fins click better with different people, which explains why some people really fall in love with certain fins.

One day, you will fall in love with some fins too.

Perhaps it will be the pair your BF buys for you.
Awwwww. :D:cloud9:

COKE! No Pepsi!
snl.jpg
Apologies to the non Americans.... this is a long running meme

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom