The Fin Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The boyfriends response.

I do not believe split fins are evil or will get anybody killed. I understand that they provide some relief for divers with knee problems, but that is not the ARDory's case. From my limited experience with them, they are not optimal for use in heavy current. When I used them in current there was a point where they did not provide anymore thrust despite stronger finning. I am of the opinion that a fin that limits a divers ability without some type of corresponding benefit are inferior. That is just my opinion.

Now ARDory is welcome to dive any type of fin she wishes. I however will only pay for her or someone I care about equipment if I consider it equal to or better than the equipment I use.

If that makes me a fin bigot, a dictator, or a bad boyfriend so be it.

The boyfriends response. ...//... Now ARDory is welcome to dive any type of fin she wishes. I however will only pay for her or someone I care about equipment if I consider it equal to or better than the equipment I use. ...//...

:clapping:

Sweet.

There is a uniform range of fin styles from paddles to free-dive. (Ignoring the truly nutty stuff) IMHO, The middle is a nice place to start...

Although, my classes do not start till March, I am a little OCD and have to prepare before hand. My boyfriend told me he would buy me some new fins for my class as long as I didn't get the split fin. Well, guess which ones I like? Of course, the split fins. So, any advice or comments, suggestions on which style fin would benefit a new diver?

Ok, what do you want to do underwater? Split fins allegedly let you go faster and use less energy but is restricted to the flutter kicks. I started with split fins.

Non-split variety, those with a wide blade and thick sides allows you to position better and do more advanced kicks like frog and modifed flutter etc. If you use those kicks, the "less energy" argument is moot.

But what about speed you say? If I want speed, I rely on my Cuda 400.

I want to find Nemo. :). Once I get comfortable with it all, photography will be my big thing.

Ok, what do you want to do underwater? Split fins allegedly let you go faster and use less energy but is restricted to the flutter kicks. I started with split fins.

Non-split variety, those with a wide blade and thick sides allows you to position better and do more advanced kicks like frog and modifed flutter etc. If you use those kicks, the "less energy" argument is moot.

But what about speed you say? If I want speed, I rely on my Cuda 400.

You can do more technical kicks with splits just fine. Maybe not reverse in all, but you can certainly do frog/flutter.

I want to find Nemo. :). Once I get comfortable with it all, photography will be my big thing.

I have given up splits and jets and rockets slingehots ducks frogs monowings and dpvs

Now i have a pair of trained giant lobsters that i strap to my feet best non silting propulsion money can't buy

lobster-rage-fists-10860-1257441343-2.jpeg also these help round out the look when you must have matching gear

Back
Top Bottom